• Show
Clear All

NYT : Creature of New Habits?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/bu...in&oref=slogin

lovr your name ,its the best yet!

Comment

Very interesting! I am a creature of habit and know it!
      Must show this to my technician, as I can't get her to change anything she does, even for the better!!!!

Comment

Creature of habit ??? That is sorta like when I open the barn door and all the horses run to the same old stalls that they have been in before.It is a real fight to get them to reprogram themselves and do it different.Usually it takes weeks or even months to get them to change.Even then , if there is stress from something they tend to go back to auto pilot,and do things the old way again.I guess that means that Alkies and Horses have alot in common???? Just a thought...Evie
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

This paragraph seems to speak pretty well to the AL/AF cycle, and I think that there's a lot of folks here that would agree:

"Ms. Ryan and Ms. Markova have found what they call three zones of existence: comfort, stretch and stress. Comfort is the realm of existing habit. Stress occurs when a challenge is so far beyond current experience as to be overwhelming. It?s that stretch zone in the middle ? activities that feel a bit awkward and unfamiliar ? where true change occurs."

Seems like some of us, me icluded, have gone from that comfort of the existing habit (AL) into the "stretch" zone and turned back several times in our quest to reach a new comfort zone on the other side - sometimes it takes several tries to instill the new habit (AF) so it is not stressful anymore.

Sam

Comment

Working...
          X