Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AF Beer, Shandy, Kvass - is it cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always wondered whether it was cheating if I drank any of these when going AF... Cheating probably isn't quite the word I want to use... maybe its more 'compromising'... I've never drunk any of these when going AF because I thought it'd only trigger cravings... I've drunk AF beer when moderating if I was driving.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Is chewing sugarless gum cheating?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Actually, I find that a good, ice cold AF beer (and I've only ever found one brand that is good) does the same thing for me as a regular beer. It satisfies me just as well and sometimes I swear I get a buzz from it.
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

But there is a very slight amount of alcohol in these drinks.
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

i posted about this on a different thread.... if it helps you then drink it. only you know if it will trigger a craving. i have it most nights and it has kept me sober around 14 months now ... Unless you take antabuse (even the kids shandy has 0.5% alcohol in it) then you should avoid those low alcohol drinkr and choose alcohol free .... Try it - it could work for you too - good luck
          ?We are one another's angels?
          Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Ummm... I know when I drunk it last time I just wished I could have a 'proper' drink. I had a low alcohol carling once and felt the same.

Comment

Think you answered your own question Vlad. This sight isn't concerned with purity - only being sober, which equals "not drunk" here, not "no drop alcohol". If it leads you to want to drink, avoid for now. If it helps you not drink, satisfies you, then great! I can drink non-al beer and feel satisfied as beer was not something I ever got wasted on. Non-al wine just makes me crave.

Comment

i think AF anything is not good...they contain small amounts of alcohol????

Comment

I've just been through a "rough" patch and didn't want to risk my 100+ days AF so I bought in some AF beer (becks). I'm a wine drinker usually but at the weekend I had one of the AF beers and it got me through. I still have my 100+ days AF.....we've each got to do what it takes and what works for us.

Janicexxx
                  AF since 9 May 2012
                  Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

yes i think it is cheating in the purist sense of abs. i haven't tried it out yet but i would rather cheat than the alternative of giving in to real beer. that seems my only alternative when the cravings hit. i'll let you know if it makes me want the real thing.
                    dove

Comment

I do not think that the small amount of AL in AF beer would be a problem for me.Canned juices of all kinds have some AL and Canned tomato soup has so much AL that the USDA has to have inspectors to monitor the amounts so they do not get too high...I think that it would be the smell of beer that would be my trigger so I will stay away from it.If the smell does not bother you then why not use it(if it makes you feel better).Dont you have to go in the beer dept. to buy it???That would scare me !!!! Evie
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi all
                        After trying all different ways to get a handle on my drinking, the last 2 years, I just wanted to add a couple of things If you are trying to not get drunk than this is a good substitute.When the witching hour hit i would have the AF beer. BUT!!!!
                        I still was not changing my lifestyle which I have found out is important. My elbow would still bend from 5PM - 9PM in the same way.I was not breaking the habit or pattern. I was still hanging with my drinking buddies, I was still going to the bars, parties, etc.I hadn't changed my lifestyle I was still in the drinking mode.
                        Then I sub reg beer and wound up getting drunk 1 a week 2 a week 3 times a week.Thought that was great I wasn't drunk 7 days a week.But I don't need to tell you were it wound up going.Drink the AF beer ,you are still AF but be careful of the pattern and the situations you find yourself in. I have to stay a little farther away from the fire or I will self destruct. just my experience be careful.
                        Stay Healthy and keep fighting
                        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Working...
                        X