Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-alcohol advice requested--UK people??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a little advice that is totally not alcohol related, but I thought maybe someone could help me. I hope no one minds me using this forum for such.

I listed a large item for sale on the Internet (a camper). I've been receiving replies from a guy in Essex, UK. I am in the USA. Now he's sent me a cashier's check for $11,000.00 and wants me to send $4000.00 to his "shipper" via western union who's address is in London.

I'm pretty suspicious about the whole deal. The check was written in Houston, Texas, the postmark is Chicago, and the name is not this guy's. No return address, no paperwork.....

The speech in the e-mails is odd--both he and the shipper called the camper a bike, among other things--the speech is almost like Chinese for lack of a better way to describe it. Now he has started to call my cell phone, and he has his number blocked. I have not taken the calls, because I want to at least talk to the bank first.

Who sends someone a cashiers check for $11,000 with no contract or commitment? I am just really uncomfortable with the whole deal, and suspicious it is a scam of some sort.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this??

Thank you for your time!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Don't do it!!! I just saw a whole piece on this sort of scam on 20/20. Never take a cashiers check and turn around and send cash. You can contact E-Bay regarding this. Even forward any emails from this person to E-Bay. Quite often the bank deposits these checks only to find out they are fraudulant after your account is charged back for the money that you have already sent off! Most people never recover their money!

Good Luck and Be Careful!
    Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Bail. Period.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Scam. The check is most likely worthless. What is he going to pull it across the Atlantic with...a Mercury Mariner? :H :H :H

Comment

Oh, don't do it! HUGE scam!!!!! I would take the cashier's cheque to your police department. Seriously. So many people have lost ooodles of money doing this.

Go with your gut. You will be out 4K as this cheque is probably a fraudulent document.

Comment

Thanks guys! It wasn't E-bay though, probably wouldn't have happened if it was. If it is a scam, I would really like to pursue it and make sure they don't do it to someone else!
            I'm going to take the check to our local sheriff and go from there, he is a friend of mine!
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi LVT

I'm from the UK and it all sounds really weird to me. Cashiers cheques in dollars would be really hard to come by over here and I've shipped some furniture from the States a few years ago and you just pay the shipper yourself from your Bank Account.

Sounds like a might scam - think you're doing the right thing taking the cheque to the police.

Best of luck

Comment

Working...
              X