Learning from you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning from you

How many of you on this forum have been AF long enough to feel some concrete benefits? Can you share some of those? I would really like to be able to focus on that rather than having "just one" -- fighting hard to stay AF right now.

Also, do you know of good treatments for little broken blood vessels on the face (beside laser surgery). Or do they fade with time, assuming you stay AF? I'm becoming a real makeup artist to hide things, which is disheartening every morning. Does your complexion ever improve? Thank you.

Learning from you

Mine has improved dramatically. I always looked ok for my age. Probably those extra pounds from AL But I always had blemishes. I look so much better and feel so much better it is truly amazing. I started taking topa a few months ago b/c I was having wicked cravings and it honestly has affected my mood, but nowhere near how it would have been affected if I started drinking again. The puffy used up look is gone. I can put my eyeliner on without looking like a preschooler did it. I feel sharp and with it.

Just one for me was never just one "one was too much and 1000 was not enough"

Comment

Learning from you

My overall appearance is definitely much healthier. I didn't look sickly or anything. Just tired and lifeless. I also started to lose my hair towards the end. Oh, and my eyes are no longer constantly red. I swear Visine was making a killing off of me.

People say that I am looking younger and more vibrant. The weight (although I wasn't heavy) is starting to come off a bit around my hips. If I had a bit more energy, I would shed the last 10 pounds quicker, I am sure.

Sleep is much better. The first few days are rough. Insomnia is a common complaint. It does go away, and you will feel much more rested. I still remember those nights waking up at 3am with a headache, dehydrated, sweaty, and couldn't get back to sleep. So happy those days are gone.

I didn't get any spider veins on my face. Nor did I have any issues with redness. I am pretty sure yours will diminish quite a bit over time.

The human body is quite amazing when it comes to healing. Take lots of supplements, drink lots of water, and eat properly. Add in some exercise and you will start to look and feel better in no time!

Comment

Learning from you

I am day 12 and puffiness gone, eyes look clear, joint pain and liver pain gone. I have a spark in my
        eyes that I had not seen in a long time. Everything Dolly and Accountable say is true. Mostly I
        am caring for and about myself again.

Biscuit

Comment

Learning from you

just keep yourself very busy .. reading to learn the best way out for yourself . like i was saying on chat . AA helps in alot of ways too .you dont have to follow the steps .. just take what you need and leave the rast.. defferent ways are out there just go check them out . because when it all falls down .. it all in your hands ,willpower, thinking things out before hand .looking deep within yourself .. these are just some things that work for me ..never give up you can and you are doing it ..
          peace , love, and god bless
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Learning from you

Not drinking means not smoking as much for me and getting more sleep (now that the horrendous insomnia has lessened)- which means I have gone back to exercising a whole lot, running during lunch, improved swim times, biking to work, and I've lost weightl So the physical benefits are a definite, concrete plus and very real!!!

Comment

Learning from you

Benefits? My god where do I start - in my case I got the gift of my life back. I dont care what I look like as I am just so happy to have got my life back and my self esteem is off the richter scale. I couldnt even look at myself in the mirror 3 months ago I was so disgusted with what I had become.
              Hang in there it is so worth it.
              BH (no more)

Comment

Learning from you

boozehag;352086 wrote: Benefits? My god where do I start - in my case I got the gift of my life back. I dont care what I look like as I am just so happy to have got my life back and my self esteem is off the richter scale. I couldnt even look at myself in the mirror 3 months ago I was so disgusted with what I had become.
                BH (no more)
                Exactly!!!

Love,
                Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Learning from you

boozehag;352086 wrote: Benefits? My god where do I start - in my case I got the gift of my life back. I dont care what I look like as I am just so happy to have got my life back and my self esteem is off the richter scale. I couldnt even look at myself in the mirror 3 months ago I was so disgusted with what I had become.
                  BH (no more)
                  DITTO!!
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Learning from you

Up the road a bit from me

Thanks to you all for the inspiration. I had to smile at the description of waking up at 3:00 A.M. sweaty and dehydrated. Could I ever relate to that. I would also wake up right at 3:00 -- what is it with 3:00 anyway? Anyhow, I'm still a newbie and haven't yet normalized my sleep patterns but at least I'm not waking up all dehydrated and so forth.

I see you all as up the road a bit at a place I'd like to be also, and the reason your kind words are so important is that in the early days my withdrawal seems to manifest itself as anxiety. I never realized this before and I think it's why I've never made it before beyond the first few days. Reading on this site has taught me that this anxiety thing during the first days/weeks of AF is not unusual for many people. So, rather than focus on the fret and worry now, I can focus on the picture of AF that you've all given me. And keep going up that road. Thanks again.

Comment

Learning from you

It is wonderful once you get past the initial shock to your system. The 2-3 am thing I think is about 4-5 hours after we usually pass out and our bodies are hitting a sugar low. So some of us would suffer and some of us would get up and have a few shots(me) that would lead into a pretty much nonstop binge b/c I didn't want to deal with the panic. I'd much rather deal with the occasional nerves in some situations from not drinking than the full blown panic attacks in the middle of the night coming down from drinking.

Comment

Working...
                      X