You know you're an alcoholic when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When most of your friends consider a small beer at lunch a hair of the dog, whilst you need at least a 4 pack before breakfast ;0(
    More importantly when you have been sober 39 days you realise just how much more quality in your life
    AF since 2nd Oct 2012
    Day by day

Comment

good on you moots! yeah it used to take at least 4 beers for me to get up and around also,but we are not going back to that b.s
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

roses2gifts1;1459659 wrote: Online Flowers Bangalore

Roses 2 Gifts are providing online services are in Online Flowers Delivery in Bangalore, Order Flowers Online, Send Online Gifts to Bangalore, Online Cakes Delivery Bangalore, Online Gifts Shopping in Bangalore, Flowers shops in Bangalore, India.

Online flower delivery in Bangalore
        Online gifts shopping in Bangalore
        Online gifts services Bangalore
        Gifts Shops in Bangalore
        Order flowers online
        Flowers shops in Bangalore
        Online Flowers Bangalore
        Florist in Bangalore
        Roses delivery to Bangalore
        Birthday gifts for women
        Buy wedding flowers online
        Order birthday cakes online
        Order kids birthday cakes online
        Order cakes online
        Order wedding flowers online
        Buy sweets online
        Birthday gifts for her
        Birthday gifts for him
        Valentine's Day gifts for girlfriend
        Valentine's Day gifts for boyfriend
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Thats spam Kradle.
          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

I just found this thread and so much sounds like me. It is so crazy to read through some of the posts and I can totally relate... than I'm horrified.

You know you are an alcoholic when...

>You get a DUI.
            >You go to jail because of said DUI.
            >You fall asleep in the women's room of a bar because you are drunk and need to "shut your eyes for just one second...." ZZZZZZZZ.
            >You wet the bed and your husband has to wake you up to notify you of your dirty deed.
            >You fall down the stairs while attempting to carry your dog as a baby because it's cute (dog was fine, I was not).
            >Never ever really knowing where all of those bruises come from.
            >Still finding the wine and liquor bottles from all of those sneaky hiding places in the house.
            >Breakfast beer is a completely normal beverage.
            >You fall asleep at the dinner table multiple times... in front of family, in-laws... etc.
            >Finding out the next morning that you cooked an entire meal (including meat on the grill) and don't remember half of it.
            >Realizing that you have no friends because no one wants to invite you to their parties anymore.
            >Calling in sick to work because of a hangover... the puking all day and wishing you had just one more bottle of wine in the house.
            >Really, truly looking forward to the evening. Not to spend time with hubby or doggie or a good meal, but charging home to uncork the wine or pour the scotch because you've been needing it all day.
            >When your family looks at you and says "I'm worried about you" and you reply... "Pfffff, I'm fine... I just had too much LAST night"... when the truth is this is how much you drink every night.
            >When you are actually sober and need to drive a drunk friend home, the drunk friend will not let you drive her car because she is not sure if you are actually sober.
            >Almost missing flights because of spending too much time at an airport bar.
            >Crying during a flight because you are drunk and you realize how miserable you are, how miserable your life is... and notice that everyone on the plane is taking pity on you.

I'm sure I could go one.
            Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Mein Sonnenschein;1461405 wrote: >Almost missing flights because of spending too much time at an airport bar.
              ^^This.
              Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

I knew I could think of more...

>Waking up in the morning on the bathroom floor of my hotel room with puke all over me and the floor. No recollection of how I got into my hotel room or the bathroom.
                >Walking out of my hotel room door in my PJs, thinking I was actually stumbling into the bathroom. Had to walk to the lobby in PJs and no shoes to drunkenly ask for another key.
                >Passed out while out to dinner and my colleague (with no drivers license because of a DUI) had to drive us to the hotel in a company car.
                >Accidentally kicking out the back window of my boyfriends SUV because I was drunk and he was pissing me off.
                >Deciding to walk home from a bar in leather flip flops (home was 5 miles away). The bottoms of my feet were ruined for weeks.
                >Ran out of gas while driving home one morning after a drunken one night stand with a work colleague. Cops stopped by the side of the road to ask if I was OK. Lucky I didn't got to jail... again.
                >Tried to punch my husband many times after he asks me "did you drink wine before I got home tonight?". Violence is never the answer.
                >I've screamed and carried on so long when I'm drunk that I've actually given myself an asthma attack.
                >Passed out during a conference call while working from home. Then when my colleagues are concerned about what happened to me I make up a lie.
                >Went to "coffee and cake" at my husbands grandmothers house only to promise his aunt that I would take a walk with her. Was drunk before tea time, when the aunt dropped me off at my front door to pick up my dog and his leash, I went inside and passed out on the couch. Aunt had to come in and figure out what was wrong with me. She took the dog for a walk and I continued to drink.
                >I've been drunk in front of family so many times I think I can actually pass for sober. The most common phrase I hear is "I didn't even know you were drunk until you passed out". Sad.
                Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

BYRDLADY, I just completed reading all the "You know you're.....if" posts.

It took a few hours well spent.

Thanks for bumping it up when I was new here.
                  -S-

Comment

I can always think of more,
                    >waking up cold, and partially undressed on my living room floor as my family was sleeping. Not knowing what I did or what they saw
                    >hiding alcohol
                    >drinking before I go into the grocery store to make it more bearable
                    >drinking too much at the spa and spending way too much money
                    >making excuses, my brother died. Hey, I was an alcoholic way before he died
                    >feeling relentless shame, disgust and contempt for myself
                    Day 1 again 11/5/19
                    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

I love this thread - it's laugh out loud at times but oh so bittersweet. I find it so hard to imagine there is anyone who hasn't done these things, but of course there are - non-alcoholics.

Comment

- when you take yourself to A&E still drunk as you are convinced something is seriously wrong due to head pain, only to be sent away and advised to drink water and take paracetamol, in other words to deal with your hangover :-(
                        - when you pee yourself sitting on a pavement blind drunk and a taxi refuses to take you :-(
                        - when your local shopkeeper can't wait to tell you the great deals they have on in vino and vodka as soon as you walk in
                        - when you are clearing out your house, now 3 months sober, and find empty bottles in stashes all over the place :-(
                        - when you get slips through the door from the post office saying they tried to deliver parcels and you have no recollection as to wtf you ordered online whilst drunk (last time this happened I had ordered a bundle of vitamins and health stuff from Holland and Barrett - oooh the irony).

Comment

- when a student who is on placement with you at work is leaving and they make you a special beaded bracelet with stones that are known to 'fend off alcoholism'. Can laugh about it now. But, I was mortified at the time!!

Comment

When the greatest 'thrill' last week was taking ONE bottle to the bottle bank ............. and it was a vinegar bottle :H:H

Comment

I love this thread

It really helps me to read the posts here from time to time. I of course have similar memories and it is always good to remember them when the sneaking thought of drinking pops in.
                              I actually started thinking earlier this week that Saturday night I should drink some beer and smoke some weed and play music. STUPID. So I took my antabuse and killed that line if thinking right away. I just can't let it get any traction in my mind.

There was a guy who used to contact me off and on who wanted to go out and who liked me. Then ther3e was the point where he saw firsthand what a freaking mess I was and consequently does not contact me anymore. This is OK, and I respect him for it. I am assuming he knew that I was bad news, when I was drinking and that is what he saw me doing. Even after I told him I had a problem with it he saw me out drunk again.
                              This has been a while back, and I am so grateful every day for the miracle of every day that passes without the hell of drinking.

Comment

Ann Carolina;1467126 wrote: It really helps me to read the posts here from time to time. I of course have similar memories and it is always good to remember them when the sneaking thought of drinking pops in.
                                I actually started thinking earlier this week that Saturday night I should drink some beer and smoke some weed and play music. STUPID. So I took my antabuse and killed that line if thinking right away. I just can't let it get any traction in my mind.

There was a guy who used to contact me off and on who wanted to go out and who liked me. Then ther3e was the point where he saw firsthand what a freaking mess I was and consequently does not contact me anymore. This is OK, and I respect him for it. I am assuming he knew that I was bad news, when I was drinking and that is what he saw me doing. Even after I told him I had a problem with it he saw me out drunk again.
                                This has been a while back, and I am so grateful every day for the miracle of every day that passes without the hell of drinking.
                                Hi Ann
                                Great job on the AB - did the same myself as I am going into Dublin tonight for a meal and do not want to be tempted by red wine :goodjob:
                                Why don't you contact HIM now to go out ????

Comment

Working...
                                X