What is SOBER anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is SOBER anyway?

I moved this because I thought it might be something others are contemplating.

From dictinary.com:

so?ber ?adjective
    1. not intoxicated or drunk.
    2. habitually temperate, esp. in the use of liquor.
    3. quiet or sedate in demeanor, as persons.
    4. marked by seriousness, gravity, solemnity, etc., as of demeanor, speech, etc.: a sober occasion.
    5. subdued in tone, as color; not gay or showy, as clothes.
    6. free from excess, extravagance, or exaggeration: sober facts.
    7. showing self-control: sober restraint. (I like this one)
    8. sane or rational: a sober solution to the problem.
    ?verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
    9. to make or become sober: (often fol. by up).

The notion of LIVING SOBER has been on my mind of late - what actually does it look like? What might it be for me? I think this may be a new goal, as it does not seem to mean complete and permanent abstinence, but restraint. I don't think I am fooling myself, or avoiding a need for being AF at times. This whole process may mean, for me, that not getting drunk is what matters.

I 'started again' yesterday, not planning AF forever, but just awhile - to do it again and see where it goes. Well, the first nite, I am making dinner with my 19 year daughter, we sit to eat our creation and I remember the 1 glass of wine left in the bottle in my frig. I can't dump it - but I can't drink it or I will want to go get more - that's my problem = stopping. I said to myself, "I am just not going to go buy more, either dump this small glass, or drink it and just stop". I drank it with dinner and that was it - never felt a buzz, enjoyed the taste, and didn't want more. Wow - it was a bit of a lightbulb moment - I allowed myself to stop, I didn't get loaded that night, didn't finish off a bottle and slide into bed. I felt 'sober' and I went and read a book (Couldn't do that drinking many glasses).

So, now I am contemplating the definition of sober. I think 'Sober" may be a realistic goal because when I did a 40 day AF stint, I got caught up in the counting - the insessant counting and self-induced failure if I didn't keep adding days. When I went mod after the 40 days, I kept feeling like I was failing - now that didn't help my self concept. I realized I may need to grasp another concept and maybe its 'Sober living'.

Many here will say, don't kid yourself, its gotta be total AF - and I know that is true for many. Isn't that always the dilema for us - AF or can we mod? Well, today my thinking is that defining sober and living a sober life may be the most realistic goal for me. It won't be easy because if & when I do have a drink, I will have to stop, or I fail. So, for now it will be AF a lot and stopping when not AF. Conquering the stopping, that's the challenge.

Sorry to take you on this long thought train - hope its a good Sober day for y'all!

Go2Goal
    "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

What is SOBER anyway?

Good post - glad you moved it!
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

What is SOBER anyway?

A very thought provoking thread!!

A friend and I were only discussing this concept of what 'sober' really means a few months back. He like me did a lot of recreational drugs as well as alcohol. He had decided that his date of sobriety in AA should be the date that he was totally 'clean' of all chemicals in his body and not just alcohol. I on the other hand have always associated the word 'sober' with alcohol. Even when my drinking was not seen as a problem I still associated through jokes and comedy and news stories etc the idea of being sober as one who didn't get totally way laid. So if I say went into a pub and had a pint then went home I classed myself as going home sober and not drunk. Mind you the amount of times I've heard myself tell other's "I'm fine.....I'm not pissed... HONEST!"lol.

Sober for me, I think, is a state of mind and sober living comes through that state of mind. Of course other people will have a different viewpoint from me and their own definition of 'sober'. It matters not to me really whether people want to get into the semantics of what sobriety means and whether they choose to see things differently than me. My conscience tells me what I need to know and that for me is that I cannot EVER drink in a controlled way that would allow me to moderate and stop at a few. I have no control whatsoever over my alcohol consumption and so for me I have to stay completely sober.

Love and Happiness
      Hippie
      xx
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

What is SOBER anyway?

For me, sober does not necessarily equal abstinence. Sober means self-empowered, self-loving, free. Moderating for me does not mean free. My brain is allergic to alcohol. When I drink I lose my power, my self-love and I'm in prison. There's no way around it, so I surrender.

I was AF for over 10 years once. When I started drinking again after that, well, it was lovely. I felt "normal" for quite a while and thought "wow, maybe I can actually be a responsible drinker!". It took a few months, but eventually it creeped up on me, and I was right back where I started. The alcohol - first lovely glasses of champagne and chilled martinis, eventually massive quantities of whatever - gradually ate away everything I had built up in myself over those 10 years, but I couldn't feel it happening or stop myself. Don't mean to be grim, but this was my experience. And it wasn't the last 'experiment' either! Not by a long shot. This is a bear.

It's good to see you G2G! If you're up for it - there's a really nice group starting on the "Day 1 -30: Hello Sober Living" thread. You have much to contribute there or anywhere. Drinking does not equal failure. Sounds like you're looking squarely at what's going on and being very real about it. That's success in my book.

Hope your day gets better -

Love, WW xox

Comment

Working...
        X