What's the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference?

So, since I have been trying to moderate, I am wondering. What is the difference from being buzzed and drunk? I drank fairly moderately this past weekend and had almost made it through with flying colors when I slipped a little. I didn't black out or anything, but I definently felt a little hung over. At this point I am wondering just what the difference is?

What's the difference?

Paranoid,

I am bumping this up so those who are waking up in the US can read it and answer.

I can't mod and quite honestly don't recall within the last few years being "buzzed" versus being drunk. I always drank to drunk. So, I can't answer.

However, I do know there are some good guidelines for moderating and hopefully those who successfully mod can jump on here and answer.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

What's the difference?

I've been moderating a while, and I now know, that if I have more than 4 drinks I'm asking for a hangover. I don't drink 4 drinks every day though - I try to keep my max at 2 per day in the week (this gives me a slight buzz) and only go up to 4 if I go out at the weekend. I try to have 3 AF days a week. That's just me though and that's what I'm comfortable with, everyone is different.
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

What's the difference?

Hi Paronoid,

I dont moderate.......But when i had my slip after doing 67days af. Having that first glass of wine, the buzz feeling is like beening light headed inside you and the body feels a funny sensation as well it a nice sensation, BUT it does not last long because i go beyond that and just get drunk. Although i have realize after drinking that one bottle of wine i did blackout. my brain didn't or couldn't store any information that night....i could not remember my daughter giving me a present from her school trip or where i put it, could not remember a thing...I think this is quite scary. The next day i was back to my old habits buying more then one bottle of wine to fall back on and cans of cider.

Love
        Teardrop.x
        family is everything to me

Comment

What's the difference?

I have only been modding for the last 8 weeks and I definetly haven't felt any "buzz" whilst doing it. For me that's the catch 22. Once I get on a buzz it's all down hill for me.

My aim in the long run is to be a social drinker - as in i would like to be able to say yes to a glass of wine if I would like one but I don't want to crave one nor do I want to crave the buzz.... Don't know if I have answered your question but for me the "buzz" is what I am staying away from!!!
          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

What's the difference?

The "official" medical recommended maximum for moderation is 1drink per day for women, 2 for men. You can also check out "Moderation Management" for more information on their recommendations. My guess is that if you are getting a buzz, it is still not moderate, but is definitely a step in the right direction!

Comment

What's the difference?

DeeBee;359757 wrote: I have only been modding for the last 8 weeks and I definetly haven't felt any "buzz" whilst doing it. For me that's the catch 22. Once I get on a buzz it's all down hill for me.

My aim in the long run is to be a social drinker - as in i would like to be able to say yes to a glass of wine if I would like one but I don't want to crave one nor do I want to crave the buzz.... Don't know if I have answered your question but for me the "buzz" is what I am staying away from!!!
              Wow, DeeBee, that is a great answer!!

Once I get the "buzz," it is all downhill from there.

In my case, every time I drink. Period.

So, for me AF (alcohol free) is the way to live. I talked to someone the other day who has been AF a long time (years) and she said "one is torture" and she is right. For me, one drink would be worse than no drink. Period.

For those who mod, one drink is good. It is a great thing. For those of us who cannot mod, one drink is torture.

This is a good clarification of the difference. I don't care where it comes from or why, but if one drink only whets the appetite for a bunch more, don't drink. If one drink can satisfy some longing, modding is great.

Hmmm.

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

What's the difference?

According to the book "My Way Out", truly modding is being able to treat alcohol like any other food or beverage, take it or leave it. Modding is being able to have a drink or two, now and then, without a compulsion to over do it. RJ, says you treat alcohol like "Butter", a little bit now and again is a tasty treat, but we sure wouldn't eat the whole stick! Simply put, it means that alcohol is not a threat to a true modder.

For me, this is not possible. Yes, I can go for a few weeks without over doing it, including not drinking at all for several days, but, then, out of no where, I am right back where I started. So, for this reason, I had to get honest with myself and decide not to drink at all. Quite honestly, it was the best thing I have done for myself to date! After six months AF, I really love living as a non-drinker!!

Good Luck!
                Kate
                A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

What's the difference?

I have no answer for this. I was like Cindi. Drinking for me was like going 0 to 60 in .75 seconds in a race car! Sober zoooooooooooom Drunk! Fast as I could get there. My hat's off to those who can treat alcohol casually. I can't!
                  "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

What's the difference?

me neither!

I am finding out after TONS AND TONS of experimentation that there is no moderating for this gal!

My hat's off to all those who can, but I need to stay AF............................

MA:h
                    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

What's the difference?

yo paranoid ,in treatment 30 days,i lerned lots,some of us just cant drink, we can think about it, and its painful enuf, but we just cant drink gyco

Comment

What's the difference?

I choose ZERO!!!!
                        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

What's the difference?

We just discussed this in chat the other night. TO ME, modding successfully would be to no longer obsess about the amount you drink and how often you get to drink it. If you are still thinking about drinking daily or even AF during the week and then letting lose on the weekends...you are not modding successfully. Modding would be having a drink at a wedding...a social gathering, etc...1-2 drinks occassionally and being able to walk away from it. If you are having to "think" about when to stop, when the next drink can be, etc...modding might not be for you....because the obsession is still there and overdoing is just aorund the corner. I am like many here....0-150 in a milasecond.
                          Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Working...
                          X