just some helpful hints.. knowledge is power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i know alot of people here dont want to do AA in anyway shape or form..
    but just to let you know.. i dont follow the steps the way they say it should be done..
    i do it my way and the day of my awaking ..this is the way i was starting to think..
    because i know i had to come up with some way to help myself
    and when i went to my first half meeting ..because my mom had to go to church and that right there is another story altogether ..but anyway i went to that meeting and they give me .the big book and the twelve steps and twelve traditions ..which i got the most out of..
    because when i started reading the 12 and 12 ..the step made the most sence to me and i know i was on the right path for me because.. i was already doing the steps in my own way ..so what am really getting at is knowledge is power

so if you feel like just read these steps and you might be able to use some of them in your daily life

Step 1: Honesty
    After many years of denial, recovery can begin when with one simple admission of being powerless over alcohol -- for alcoholics and their friends and family.
    Step 2: Faith
    It seems to be a spiritual truth, that before a higher power can begin to operate, you must first believe that it can.

Step 3: Surrender
    A lifetime of self-will run riot can come to a screeching halt, and change forever, by making a simple decision to turn it all over to a higher power.

Step 4: Soul Searching
    There is a saying in the 12-step programs that recovery is a process, not an event. The same can be said for this step -- more will surely be revealed.

Step 5: Integrity
    Probably the most difficult of all the steps to face, Step 5 is also the one that provides the greatest opportunity for growth.

Step 6: Acceptance
    The key to Step 6 is acceptance -- accepting character defects exactly as they are and becoming entirely willing to let them go.

Step 7: Humility
    The spiritual focus of Step 7 is humility, asking a higher power to do something that cannot be done by self-will or mere determination.

Step 8: Willingness
    Making a list of those harmed before coming into recovery may sound simple. Becoming willing to actually make those amends is the difficult part.

Step 9: Forgiveness
    Making amends may seem like a bitter pill to swallow, but for those serious about recovery it can be great medicine for the spirit and soul.

Step 10: Maintenance
    Nobody likes to admit to being wrong. But it is absolutely necessary to maintain spiritual progress in recovery.

Step 11: Making Contact
    The purpose of Step 11 is to discover the plan God as you understand Him has for your life.

Step 12: Service
    For those in recovery programs, practicing Step 12 is simply "how it works."

these are just suggestions
    wel i hope in some small way it give you some insight ..
    and remember dont give up ..you can do anything you put your mind to..

would love to hear your input
    peace.love and god bless
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Thank you for the reminder that the 12 steps are powerful medicine. Take what you like and leave the rest.
    "As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
    Nelson Mandela

Comment

As a rule just reading the words AA and I would automatically skip past, but for some reason I read your whole post.

These 12 steps made for powerful reading and have given me something to think about!! Thanks for taking the time to share Tlrgs!!
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

alot of things have help but all and all everything helps

Comment

AA is just part of my plan..i need it, it works for me and I have so many friends there!

Comment

I think pretty much along the same lines as you T on this one. I don't think I'll ever be willing to make a lifetime commitment to AA and follow into doing service in AA etc. I always had a problem with the fact that I considered myself to be a good human being at the core. I had a good upbringing by my parents and they instilled good moral values in me. I KNOW right from wrong even though I may not of practised that in my life from time to time. The steps I think CAN be adapted as I have done with them too and although I don't attend as many meetings as I used too I think the steps do serve a purpose. After all any decent human being would do well to follow some of them alcoholic or not.

Love and Happiness to you my friend
            Hippie
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I am not a big fan PERSONALLY of AA - but I know how much it has helped milions of people and I respect and value their mission. It is very possible that I was just in the wrong group at the time (I only went twice)...but anyway, your words are inspiring. We can ALL live by those words, even if we don't go to the meetings. Thank you so much for that post. I needed that.
              "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

I guess I am too rebellious by nature to fit into some off the groups that I have been too.I know that they are not all like that but I can't stand having anyone tell me I can not stay sober if I don't do it their way....I stayed sober for over 17yrs. without ever stepping into AA but when I finally fell their attitude was.....SEE , WE TOLD YOU SO....How stupid is that?this time I went to a AA based counsler he made me so mad that I have not had a drink since that day...So AA did get me sober
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

tlrgs,

I had a negative experience with AA in the mid 90's. But, somehow reading your post, it seems different to me. Makes total sense! An agreeable concept. Guess, I'm the one who's changed!

Hugs, Best
                  "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

thank you .. am glad you all got something out of it ..like all the steps felt really good for me to come out and let all my feeling out and just able to talk about them ..and yes i have met some really interesting people going to AA meeting and it just what you make of it

Comment

Working...
                    X