Thyrotoxicosis Lent AL abstination mixup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thyrotoxicosis Lent AL abstination mixup

Was thinking this morning (woke up at 3.00am) that I'd got some of my story jumbled up. I've abstained twice from AL, first for 50 days and the year after 40 days. I think I've been saying all along that I did both abstainations with no meds or supps but then realised the first was done whilst on a heavy dose of carbimazole and betablockers for thyrotoxicosis.

Between Christmas and New Year 2004 I realised I wasn't well and put it down to drinking (symptoms seemed to add up, as I had the shakes and rapid heart beat) and said to my husband I'd like to abstain from AL for Lent. My symptoms got worse (i.e. severe weight loss and muscle wastage) and was diagnosed and given medication prior to Lent. The doctor said I was not to drink (because of having to take betablockers too). I never mentioned my drinking to my doctor by the way.

I said my first abstaination was easy! No wonder, I was drugged up - the dosage of betablockers (probably 100mg tabs - don't remember) and carbimazole (40mg twice daily) made every morning feel like the morning after the night before. I struggled remembering things on these drugs, I remember this though - having to ask my husband to confirm whether something had really happened or not. I also remember going to a church meeting one evening and the church minister asking me what I'd done at work that day. I told him I couldn't remember and he looked at me in the most odd fashion. Once off the betablockers and after Lent was over I just began drinking heavier than before.

In addition, 18 months later after my condition had improved and my dosage had been reduced down to just 5mg once a day - I discovered the carbimazole was beginning to have other side effects. I'd always take it first thing in the morning and after half an hour sometimes it would make me feel drunk - like I'd had around 6 pints (I did explain this to my doctor and he ceased medication). Honestly, once we got to church and the carbimazole had hit me - my husband was operating the sound desk and he looked over at me, he could see I was flunking a little and asked if I was OK. I slurred angrily, 'No....I feeel reaaally pishhhed!'

So my first 50 days abstaination was done on medication and not cold turkey, now I know why the second time AF was so difficult.
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message
Working...
X