Bulimia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulimia

Does anyone here have bulimia or anorexia?
    I have suffered with both for 8 years and have noticed that when I get the 'munchies' during alcoholic binges, that I find it difficult to throw up.

I KNOW that I shouldnt be throwing up, and that is a different story, and meant for a different forum considering that it's a different illness entirely... but I was wondering if there was a link between drinking to excess and NOT being able to throw up.

Sorry if Im putting people off their dinner/breakfast
    ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Bulimia

I suffered from Bulimia in my late teens to mid 20s and also am a binge drinker. I also know I tried to use AL to make me throw up - trouble was I would usually pass out before that point!

I know I nearly always binge eat before I am going to drink and/or whilst drinking itself. I talked with a psychotherapist who explained there is possibly a link between sugar,dopamine receptors and AL.

Comment

Bulimia

I think that there is some kind of link between Bulimia and alcoholism.I was involved with a group (women for soberiety )for many years and several were Bulimic....One of my Brothers is AL and bulimic...He has not drank in 20plus years goes to AA everyday but I think the Bulimia will kill him if he does not get help...He is so out of control.He might only weigh 110lbs. ????my other brother is AL and weighs 300 lbs. plus.
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Bulimia

my two cents

I have heard that there is a definite link.................I have a body image problem, no matter how skinny I get, I think I am fat....................guess back in the 90s I could have been considered anorexic, but never diagnosed, was about 95 pounds and 5'6''.................looked like a walking skeleton!!! YUCK!!!

MA
        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Bulimia

I was bulimic in my late teen/early 20's but I did not drink much them so can't answer this. I do think the underlying cause of both my bulimia and drinking was depression and self-esteem issues.

Comment

Bulimia

Chelle

I was bulimic from 20 to 28. When I drank I didn't have the urge to purge after eating. I thought it seemed liked a good way to solve my eating disorder... by getting blasted every evening.

I was getting treatment for my eating disorder and mentioned this to my therapist...he muttered something about serotonin or dopamine but seemed relatively unconcerned. Sheesh!

Please don't use drinking to curb your bulimia, you'll end up worse off in the end.

Hugs
            K
            Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
            April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
            wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
            wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
            wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
            wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
            wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
            wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
            http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Bulimia

I was bulimic from my early teens to my late 20's/early 30's.

As Katie said, I also didn't have the urge to purge while drinking. I really never ate much while drinking in my harder days.

I still struggle with the bulimia. The illness is still there but I won't give into it. My stomach has gone through h*ll and back with the bulimia and drinking already. I am literally afraid of my stomach ripping and bleeding to death now.

There are so many intertwining of illnesses here. Depression, eating disorders, alcoholism, etc.

I am working with a therapist to get to the route of my low self esteem/anxiety/depression issues. I know that once things are dealt with, this will all go away. At least I am hoping.

Comment

Working...
              X