when a Man Loves a Woman...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you remember Meg Ryans movie(When a Man Loves a Woman) from back in the 90s????I rewatched it the other day and I think it can't do anything but help people understand Alcoholism alittle better.I was many years sober when it first come out in the 90s,so it didn't really hit home then.After the past several years of my struggles with binges,it has alot more meaning to me...
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

It was a very good movie...
    Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Has anyone ever watched Days of Wine and Roses? I swear that one makes me cry the entire movie. That should have scared me sober...but alas it didn't. If you haven't had a chance to see it, check it out.
      Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
      :h

Comment

I think the saddest movie regarding alcoholism I've watched was 'Leaving Las Vegas'. I have seen the Meg Ryan/Andy Garcia movie too and there are many scenes that are 'memorable'. The good point made in that movie was how she was not wanting him to 'fix' things for her and that she needed to do that for herself.

Love and Happiness
        Hippie
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Ready........ I love that movie Lee Merick and Jack lemon what an eye opener from the director of the pink panther things Blake Edwards????? sorry Evie cant relate to Meg Ryan being an alchy bad casting call I reckon. My all time favorite film about the destruction alcohol reaps is James Cagney in "Come fill the Cup" with Gig young who won a oscar for his performance and sadly died of drink. Yea Hippy leaving Vegas apparently the director Mike Figgis was consulting with the authour John O 'Brein of that book when filming he sadly took his life half way through filming. Our so called freind AL holds our hand all the way down sorry to be depressing
          love cap

Comment

Yes, I have that and have been meaning to view it again. Very familiar~ the rage, the search for the bottle in trash or washing machine, anywhere, somewhere. The affect on her family and there in is part of my difficulty. Family? The "family" I was born into did not go through the motions that loved ones seem to as I have watched and heard. They hated me, for I was now the reflection they refused to see. "Them", drunk with Jumbo tumblers at 8Am the day after one incident, "tough loving" me as one, the brother, the successfull business matriarc puking in a bucket from too much of his Grey Goose while I am being threatened about my drinking.

I recall her Peace in the end of the movie and her sincere efforts.
            Will watch it again, as I am going into day off after today. Also, "Leaving Las Vegas" (that is where I also live). When I saw that, never would I imagine that , "that" would be me. Delerium Tremors and in a moment, pondering after getting my car windows tinted, where to go and live in car, find a partner for protection and drink myself to death.

Feeling sad for those out there with no knowledge of a Way Out....
            I was one. Family and long time friends kicked me to the curb once I could no longer be the one to go down into the wine cellar and choose the proper bottle for the gathering.

I was orphaned, but, not any longer.

Evie, put me in line as one of your adopties. I too, have never had children.

My God, I am sitting here with emotions aplenty just in awe at being apart of something of such value such as this place.

Am so grateful to each and everyone of you.

Beyond words,

Karen
            :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Evie,

You're not going to believe this but I was just thinking about that movie this morning. Very painful to watch. Gabby
              Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Comment

Dearest Karen,Hubby and I would love to adopt you...Maybe someday we can make it formal.We were married in the Little White Chapel on Vegus Blvd. during Gem week.We are both Gem nuts and wanted all our gem mine owners from all over the world to be at our wedding.While we were there,we joined Clark County Gem Club and spent a month Rockhounding thru thr Southwest.The owners of Lighting Ridge opal mine in Australia were are Best man and matron of honor.We get to vegus quite often...maybe we can meet up...
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Karen,
                  I just want you to know I really enjoy reading your posts and your poems. I'm glad you are on this site. What kind of art do you do? I am curious how you fit in in Las Vegas. I have been there a few times (with a gambler, not to gamble!!!) I found it to be a very strange place, of course, but I didn't really get off the Strip, of course.
                  Lila

Comment

I did love When a Man loves a Woman. I think it gave a fair picture of co-dependance as well a alcholism. Once Meg got sober, she knew she could only save herself and that didn't sit well with Andy.

Days of Wine and Roses was fantastic, especially for the era when it was produced. Great representation of what can happen when a husband and wife are drinking buddies and one decides that enough is enough.

Leaving Las Vegas was just disturbing. The only thing I remember from the movie was Elizabeth Shue giving Nicholace Cage a blow job --ugggh. I never really got the point of watching someone self destruct which I think was the focus of the movie.

One of my favorite movies is Clean and Sober with Michael Keaton. His DOC was cocaine. It does highlight the fact that once people get some sober time they want to "save" others. Keatons cockiness and charm showed how manipulative we become when persuing our DOC.

Comment

Has anyone seen The Lost Weekend? You know, that old movie, where the main actor steals a woman's purse in a fancy restaurant to buy alcohol?
                      I must admit I really did not like LLV, I thought the whole Russian gangster bit was so preposturous, and how Elizabeth Shue left her hooker money with him, it didn't feel realistic at all, Nicholas Cage buying all diffenent kinds of alcohol, and who was she talking too anyway? A therapist?...but I guess I just did not relate to the movie at all.

Comment

When I was in outpatient rehab many years ago, we had to sit and watch both The Lost Weekend and Days of Wine and Roses...2 oldies but goodies...
                        sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

I remember that movie! LLV was very intense and dark.

Theme2, I enjoy your posts, thank you.
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Lila -- the Lost Weekend is one of the best ... I have owned all the DVDs mentioned above and when I sold them all on Amazon they were scooped up in no time ... I keep Days of Wine and Roses and The Lost Weekend for me... 28 Days with Sandra Bullock had not been mentioned ... oh boy -- I can relate to that sweet little girl in the movie...
                            Tiny

Comment

The Meg Ryan/Andy Garcia flick scares me because in her healing, they SPLIT! Was just talking about this on live chat the other day...no one commented. Now, here it is!

Comment

Working...
                              X