Tomorrow is the big day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow is the big day

Tomorrow is my big day- going to the psychiatrist. I am both excited and nervous. Excited because I am going to start fixing my brain. Nervous because someone out there will know just how nuts I am, and what if I am not fixable?
    Can someone tell me what I can expect at a first visit?
    Goal 1: Today
    Goal 2: Tomorrow

Tomorrow is the big day

Luka, Congratulations! Good for you taking this step! Personally, I think one of the best hings that I ever did for myself was to go through Therapy, several years ago. I still go for a tune up now and then.

What to expect tomorrow. Probably, introductions, your medical and family history. Perhaps some questions as to what brought you in. But, don't worry Luka, you will not be pressured. Just relax and enjoy the process!

Best Wishes,
    XXX Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Good Luck Luka.

This is a great step in the right direction. We'll be waiting to hear from you.

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Oh luka

Therapy is wonderful. (don't I sound like a case- LOL)

I think the decision to attend therapy is so brave. Most people don't want to face their pain. It will be fine. Make sure the chemistry is right between you and therapist. That is sooooooooo important. I went to a therapist for almost 10 years in New Orleans and I see one here in CA. It seems like such a long time but I need it. I will "graduate" when it is time and I am not dependent on therapy. I just know after Hurricane Katrina, I needed to talk to someone after all of the loss I had.

Just remember to be honest (most of all) and work hard. It is a bitch but it is harder to live with the pain.

Big time support here. I will be waiting also to hear how your first session went.

Love to you
        n/z
        __________________________________________________ _

Love yourself enough to walk away from what no longer serves you.

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

I assure you the dr. will not think you are nuts or unfixable (since there is nothing "wrong" with you, your brain works differently due to chemicals in the brain). I hope it is a great dr. and works well for you. The first visit is a lot like when you see a new dr. and they want your history, symptoms, etc. From there it depends whether you are going for medication management or therapy. I have seen psychiatrist for medications (better than a GP as it is their specialization) primarily, with some suggestions for coping, and psychologists for or therapy. It is possible yours does both, but psychiatrists are more expensive than therapists. Many insurances cover both and they can work well together.

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Hmmm. I guess I will have to see when I get there. I have an open referral through my insurance. I get 20 visits in that year. Do you think medication management is considered a visit?

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Lukalee,
              Good luck with the psych tomorrow. I went thru therapy about 14 yrs ago, and have gone again in the last several months. Haven't been to see her in a month or so, though; I was finding it very helpful, and need to go back. Be prepared for it to take a bit of a toll on you -- you'll probably cry. It can be exhausting! Working on ourselves is exhausting. Thinking about our problems -- and, god forbid, how to fix them -- is exhausting. So be good to yourself. Let me know if you have any questions. It is a step in the right direction.

xoxo
              CS

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Sorry can't answer that as I haven't looked at your policy. My insurance policies over the years have varied. Usually the psychiatric visits for medication have not been limited as they are MD's, only counseling sessions were limited. Typically a psychiatrist will want to see you every few weeks to 1/mon when getting you established on a medication program that works for you, then will often see you only about every 2 months or so. Currently, my gp prescribes my medications because I had been on the same ones for several years and things were going well and when I moved I could not find a new psychiatrist (severe shortage here). Tell them from the start about your insurance, they may have suggestions if you are seeking counseling as well. This article might help a bit. Feel free to pm me if you like.

The New York State Psychiatric Association (NYSPA) Choosing a Psychiatrist

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

hi Lukalee
                  Wanted to wish you luck tomorrow- Remember: both you and the Psychiatrist are there FOR YOU. Just be as honest as you can- it will only help you in the long run.
                  It can be the beginning of an interesting journey- (have been in therapy for 11 years...the crazy's never quite go away..
                  Be well
                  -Sheep

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

If you appear to be a danger to yourself or others they can lock you up against your will (this includes excessive drinking) keep that in the back of your head.....especially while you are still in the beginning stages of establishing a relationship with this Dr. Other than that, I think this is a great move and I think you are on the right path. I hope you enjoy your visit and I'm sending you blessings on your new path
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Hi Luk! I finally saw a psychiatrist last year. It was a world of difference from either a regular doctor or a regular therapist. He emphasized the importance of sleep .. said I never get a real night's sleep because of Al and that regular drinkers are always essentially sleep deprived. Interesting ... He was very nonjudgmental about the Al thing. But, he is interested in brain chemistry issues, not hashing out my problems in any sort of therapy. I hope your visit goes well.
                      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

I still have a few hours until my appointment. God I'm nervous. I am afraid tht I will just sit there and cry without even saying a word.

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Luka....sweetie, please don't cry......You are truly doing something so positive for yourself....sweetie!! And you know what.....crying when at the shrink is perfectly OK.....we pay them to listen to us!!! I love that!!!

xxx Kate
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

Yes, all visits, regardless of matters discussed, count toward the total number of annual visits.
                            You'll do great, it's a no brainer. Just be honest and you are on your way.
                            Good luck!

Comment

Tomorrow is the big day

They expect you to cry. I did.:l:l
                              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Working...
                              X