No thanks, I've had enough????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never said these words while drinking. Well, yes, when at dinner, but knew I would come home to a bottle of wine, always had one here.

I've always been amazed at people, when we're out for the evening, that after 1 or 2, they declined to drink anymore. Saying "one more will just be too much". I would think, well HELL YEAH! Isn't that the point, to catch a buzz, (which with me, turned into wasted).

I guess over the years, I really never thought of alcohol as a "treat", just a means to get drunk. Why bother w/one? And if I had one, I'd be looking for a way to get more, without looking like the wino I am. I always did admire that in some folks, even though for years I thought they were "pansies" and just didn't know how to have fun.

Look where my "fun" got me...
    "Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

My husband always said that i never drank for the taste always for the effect... ouch, how that hurt at the time, but in hind-sight, i see how right he was!!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I know I drink for the effect and not the taste - even when hubby was unemployed and we were broke I would try to look out for the cheapest plonk I could find.

I remember once going to a resturant and I asked for a bottle of house wine. The waiter brought it over and poured a little bit in the glass. I was a bit baffled that he wanted me to taste the wine and see if I liked it or whether I wanted to change it!! But then that's because I never did drink for the taste. I see people at the shops reading the bottle to see the description of the wine and what food it compliments - me...well I have to see the % of alc in it!!

I too used to think my friends were lightweights as they would never drink more that 1 or 2 drinks and even then I would mock them for drinking alcopops calling them kiddies drink.

If they knew the extent of my problems with alcohol, they would be the ones having the last laugh!

Comment

Lotus;364642 wrote: I know I drink for the effect and not the taste - even when hubby was unemployed and we were broke I would try to look out for the cheapest plonk I could find.

I remember once going to a resturant and I asked for a bottle of house wine. The waiter brought it over and poured a little bit in the glass. I was a bit baffled that he wanted me to taste the wine and see if I liked it or whether I wanted to change it!! But then that's because I never did drink for the taste. I see people at the shops reading the bottle to see the description of the wine and what food it compliments - me...well I have to see the % of alc in it!!

I too used to think my friends were lightweights as they would never drink more that 1 or 2 drinks and even then I would mock them for drinking alcopops calling them kiddies drink.

If they knew the extent of my problems with alcohol, they would be the ones having the last laugh!

I am with you on this Lotus...you have described me exactly...definitely when short of money it would be the highest % of alcohol in the largest quantity (pints or litres) for the smallest amount of money....

Not nice to admit this one though...

Heavenly xx
        ?We are one another's angels?
        Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

When I was at my worst, I would pour my vodkas as strong as I could take them; taste was not an issue. It was as strong as I could swallow it without being sick. Eventually I could drink it straight if I had no mixer left.
          I thought wine drinkers were fools, disguising their problem with fancy airs and graces. Drinking and eating at the same time seemed ridiculous. Food was to be tasted and enjoyed and booze was to get you legless.....Sophisticated I ain't!!!
          I've come to see I was the fool.

Comment

Oh P, I totally get that! Why drink, really, if it's not going to do you any "good"!?! Ha, huh? I'm just so thrilled and relieved to hear I'm not the only one who's been thinking this way. It's liberating to call it out, and decide to change. Hope today is going well for you.

Comment

Great Post !!
              workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Hi there,
                Just to let you know that I can totally relate to the % thing - my husband and I used to refer to it as the 'voltage' and always go for the higher one and yes when broke, working my grocery budget around the price of the cheapest bottle of wine. I always envied those who would be looking at all of the descriptions of the bottle of wine (note only one bottle vs. as many as of the cheap ones that I could get) - tasting of...., great with fish.... and I would just be wondering how quickly I could get home to start drinking the stuff.
                Anyway, onwards and upwards!
                :h
                Bandit
                There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Popeye;364661 wrote: When I was at my worst, I would pour my vodkas as strong as I could take them; taste was not an issue. It was as strong as I could swallow it without being sick. Eventually I could drink it straight if I had no mixer left.
                  I thought wine drinkers were fools, disguising their problem with fancy airs and graces. Drinking and eating at the same time seemed ridiculous. Food was to be tasted and enjoyed and booze was to get you legless.....Sophisticated I ain't!!!
                  I've come to see I was the fool.
                  Yep, I was that wine drinker you saw!!!! But, I wasn't eating too much food, it was just a prop!!! A wine glass looks so "high class" in your hand!!! I'm thinking maybe thats why I started drinking it, to hide my problem. I used to drink beer and do shots in between, but thats back when I used to do coke too. Once I stopped the coke, (about 15 years ago), the shots hit me tooooo fast, and just beer didn't get to my brain fast enough and had to drink sooo much of it.......so.....

Wine worked, got me buzzed fast enough, and I could keep myself "in check" so I thought.

Nope, might as well have been drinking a bottle of whiskey out of a paper bag. I ended up in the same place....just looked "classy" with the wine for a few hours, until I fell on my face!!!!

You can dress me up, but don't take me out!!!
                  "Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Comment

well i gonna agree to disagree,i liked my drink,cold beer on a warm day,nothin wrong with tht,and it was 2,specially if i had to drive home,leave the guys at the bar and they tht i was nuts, a pussy,it was nc,butttt when i got home well when i was yunger hell broke lose,just lk u folks xplain it,1st another beer, or a shot of whiskey,i did hav limits i wouldnt drink just anything, lk gin ouch,scotch with drabooie yum yum,well i guess pan your rt , somewhere along the lines we wake up yessss o well againits nc see im not the only one gyco

Comment

Working...
                    X