Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress

Okay so today is day 19 AF for me.
    I moved home to my dad's recently to be able to save for a down payment on a house.
    I'm single and this seems about the only way this is going to happen.
    I watched my dad drink whiskey last night. I have to be understanding as this is how I learned bad habits. Not him exclusively, mind you. My mother & grandfather were also a big part of it.
    Anyhow, I tried not to be annoyed while he chatted non stop.
    Not so bad I know. But it was an eye opening experience. I think next time I see he is drinking I will just go to my section of the house and stay there for the evening.
    A result was I didn't sleep well. It reminded me of being a kid and waking up in the night wondering was everything okay? In just 19 days I think I've faced quit a few things I didn't want to face about myself. And, honestly, it wasn't SO bad and nor am I!

I feel stronger & more confident already. And I wasn't tempted to drink yesterday at all.
    I know this will vary from day to day but yesterday was okay.
    I have tried to moderate w/out success for years so I know it has to be cold turkey for me. And I'm okay w/that.

Progress

1967, sounds like you are on your way to achieving the calmness of mind and serenity that so many of us seek. A lot of it is simply being able to rationally evaluate the situation for what it is, which looks like what you did. You didn't get upset, you didn't crave a drink, but you did put together a plan for next time because it made you uncomfortable.

I know if my drinking days, watching my Dad drink would have been the perfect excuse to tie one on, so be proud of the progress you've made and remember to take it one day at a time!
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Progress

Way to go, 1967! I'm happy for you! Keep up the great work and great attitude!:wd:
      You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Progress

Good Job 1967. I hate to think of those days when my Dad was drinking and we would all be worried about who was coming home: Jeckyll or Hyde. It was usually Hyde and very scary. My poor Mom, God rest her soul. Sounds like you handled it very well and have a good plan for the next time. Best Wishes.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Progress

WOW...GOOD FOR YOU!!accepting THAT YOU CAN NOT CHANGE WHAT YOUR FATHER IS DOING AND NOT GOING ALONG FOR THE RIDE IS A VERY HEALTHY ATTITUDE...MY DAD DRANK HIMSELF TO DEATH AND I WAS NOT DRINKING AT THE TIME BUT IT WAS PAINFUL TO SEE HIM,EVEN FOR A DAY...NO WAY THAT I COULD HAVE SHARED A ROOF AND STAYED SANE...
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Progress

Awesome news 1967!! Good for you !!
            workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Progress

Good for you 1967. Your attitude is so positive. You will do this. Thanks for sharing that story.
              When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
              -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

Progress

1967 .... you get it!!! that is excellent wot you did. You did right by dealing with Dad and handling you. I am proud of you! 19 Days is so good too. You keep going i know you can go much further. Nice to have you around, your in good hands here! :lilheart::lilheart::lilflower::flower:

Comment

Progress

WELL DONE on your days AF and for saving your money to try and get a house - great incentive not to spend it on the booze. Sounds like you have your head together. I could learn some lessons from you I think.
                  Best Wishes,
                  :h
                  Bandit
                  There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Progress

Thank you to everyone for the support.
                    I was up very early this morning when I posted. It is good to have you all recognize my thoughts and validate I am handling things appropriately.
                    My dad is a good egg, and I don't blame him for his weaknesses. He has always been my biggest advocate. I am a bit worried about when we start school again in the Fall, but I think I came up w/a plan. I will work in the garden during the time I usually open up the vino.
                    Gardening is therapeutic and I'll have the benefit of flowers to paint later.
                    I'm just going to keep trying hard to stay on track.
                    Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and comment. It helps.
                    Joy

Comment

Progress

I think you are well on your way...I hope you're proud of your accomplishment.
                      This is my time now to cork the red, so I am trying to keep busy anyway I can.
                      Good for you!

Comment

Progress

hey out there.... i'm still hanging strong and AF.
                        today is... hm....day 24... Friday will be 27... i've started looking at the calendar in terms of weeks.
                        i am feeling a lot better physically, intellectually and am so much more productive!

to all who are just starting hang in there... it does get easier.
                        this site has helped me tremendously. thank u all!

Comment

Progress

Amazing 1967! Congratulations! You r doing wonderful!
                          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Progress

Congratulations 1967 - great job. You should be proud of yourself! We are!
                            "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

Working...
                            X