We all look so normal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all look so normal

(relatively speaking). We do normal things. We go to work, have families, hobbies...Do you sometimes wonder how many other "normal" people are dealing with their own inner demons and we just dont know it? Am I obvious? Do people know, as I sit here that I have an addiction? Do they know the tug-of-war that I go through on a daily (if not hourly) basis? Ive pulled off this act for years. When do I get my Academy Award? When do I get to step up to the podium and be acknowledged for the hard work, the dedication and all the little people that have helped me achieve my ultimate goal of sobriety? I guess when I actually DO it. In the meantime, I think Ill just award myself the satisfaction of knowing that for one more day I have played my role as a non-drinker well. That I have done it and I feel good. So.....thank you ME, for 5 days AF, a clearer head, a fuller heart and an appreciation for everything good in my life.

(This is where I look humble and bow to the audience)

Yeah yeah... I told you I tend to babble.
    Do my issues make my butt look big?

We all look so normal

Ready,

I do believe that many of us get away with walking through life drinking...those we fool are just clueless. A good friend of mine (an almost nightly drinker) was talking about alcoholism in the stereotypical way - obvious drunkeness and serious consequences. I told him that there are plenty of people who go through life with a few drinks in them and that most people don't notice unless it escalates. He said "I don't know anyone like that". Of course I was thinking you're talking to one right now!!!

Congrats on your 5 days. Will become easier if non-drinker becomes your norm and not a part you are playing. I know because it took me more than 4 months to feel like a non-drinker. (rather than a deprived drinker).
    Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

We all look so normal

Four months. That seems such a long time, but youre right. I guess I have to "become the role" Method acting and all... Thanks for the inspiriation and sage advice. Its amazing what makes sense with a clearer head.

Comment

We all look so normal

Ready,

I was a bit slow on the uptake Did a great job quitting though. One of the folks on the abs board who attends AA says it is called "fake it until you make it."
        Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

We all look so normal

So true Readyornot!!!! I was always acting, pretending nothing was wrong. Excelling in my job, but hating every minute of it when hungover. Having a ball with friends, till I drank to excess. Playing the role of a good mother, but knowing inside I could be better. I had a feeling my this "gig" was coming to an end, and soon my paparazzi would turn on me!!! I just couldn't continue in my current show, Drunk Women can Function...or move on to the spinoff, Too Drunk to Func!!!!

Time for a new role, which will take me to the top.....Life as a Sober Woman!
          "Be Kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Comment

We all look so normal

Panacea;365414 wrote: So true Readyornot!!!! I was always acting, pretending nothing was wrong. Excelling in my job, but hating every minute of it when hungover. Having a ball with friends, till I drank to excess. Playing the role of a good mother, but knowing inside I could be better. I had a feeling my this "gig" was coming to an end, and soon my paparazzi would turn on me!!! I just couldn't continue in my current show, Drunk Women can Function...or move on to the spinoff, Too Drunk to Func!!!!

Time for a new role, which will take me to the top.....Life as a Sober Woman!
            Will you share the billing? We can be co-stars. :H

Comment

We all look so normal

WOO! HOO! We can be SUPERSTARS! Sure, we can have a huge cast.....plenty of room!

Comment

We all look so normal

and the award goes to ready congrats doesnt it feel good ahahha love a joker dont u trust me my dear you ll never get praise from what i refir to as normal people,so they think they are,as much as weve blundered in the past we can stop,we do stop,we dont fail all the time,but we fall time aftr time, and were reminded of it by who,drinkers,i to am goin thro a critical time rt now ive been sober for almost nine months,or dry which im not, cranbeerry soda without the vodka,its alrite to think and wonder about it,actually its even ok to hav one or 2 i guess ,i havent yet but as u do,i think about it frequently,thts not a crime,ive gone as long as 2 years and stopped and frolied again,i think i had my scare this last year,blackouts, sort of i guess,seizures,but i did stop so were in the same boat ,TO DRINK OR NOT TO DRINK tht is the question sorry just wanted to let go gyco

Comment

We all look so normal

There are so many people out there that constantly have alcohol in their system; it doesn't matter what time of the day it is. They get used to functioning that way, and that's their lifestyle. Everyone has their own version of what is "normal". Any more than one drink a day, or drinking that one drink alone to my mother is not "normal".

Comment

We all look so normal

The understudy here!!
                    Amazed at how it is not obvious to my co-workers. Oh, I am pretty sure some have had a thought or two. Lord, on my last bender I took off 5 days from work with some drama story from my Am job and then my PM job is an on call basis and when I called to get my schedule, they reminded me of how I had been taken off for I had called in a black out~ something about the death of a friend and me havig to go to Calif.(Jesus) I even showed up at work at the AM job and the boss said, " I thought you were taking the day off today?" ( I had called in same condition night before and got my shift covered but when awoke sober had forgotten.

Always with the "darn allergies" stories because my eyes condition.......

It is not even in my true nature to lie or be deceitfull, I am amazed at how this monster in my cells turns me.

Nice to share with you, in similiar boat. As Gia expressed so well, "normal" is interpretive.
                    Don't recall what normal feels like!

Good day to you.
                    :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

We all look so normal

I truly wonder if it's not obvious to others. Bringing up "Hey, I think you might have a drinking problem" is hard to say to anyone, let alone co-workers. I too think my problem wasn't noticed by anyone, but I'm beginning to doubt it.

Maybe one day, after a while AF, I'll ask them.

Comment

We all look so normal

well, I was never to good at. I am a horrible drunk. Hell, I couldnt hide if I wanted to.
                        Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

We all look so normal

Me, too, Luv.

Horrible drunk. I spoke to a coworker yesterday and I know he knows. Damn!!

However, I do not look normal, act normal, or speak normal.

But I did years ago....

Not now, though.

I am praying Lenair helps. Praying...

The rest of my life is on hold or going, going, gone. Period.

I will drink myself to death. I will not "look normal, act normal or speak normal." while I do it.

Love,
                          Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

We all look so normal

Cindi.

I understand your every words meaning.

I may be found dead some time some where.

I will not give up until

I will not give in until

Dont loose courage. I need you, I need your intelligence, your way of understanding.

You
                            matter to me.
                            :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

We all look so normal

Panacea;365453 wrote: I truly wonder if it's not obvious to others. Bringing up "Hey, I think you might have a drinking problem" is hard to say to anyone, let alone co-workers. I too think my problem wasn't noticed by anyone, but I'm beginning to doubt it.

Maybe one day, after a while AF, I'll ask them.
                              *I* think there are a lot of people with drinking problems, or potential drinking issues but little is said because AL is a legal and socially acceptable drug. It is noticed..no doubt.

Just go to a party and say "no thanks" you get strange looks. AL is BIG BUSINESS...but some of us have no business using it... I am one of 'them'. I just say "no thanks" and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks....and I feel great the next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X