The Payoff or the Trade-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the greatest helps I found early on in my Alcohol Free days was this simple yet profound method of choosing an action to replace my drinking habit.

I thought it might be helpful to anyone who would like to make their own list ... right here where we all spend so much time ...

you will have a record of the date you wrote it, the action you want to change, the pay off that action has for you, the trade off for that action and choose a substitute ACTION (finding an alternative action).

One of the reasons it is so hard to STAY off alcohol, (or excess alcohol for those modding) is that we need to substitute better behaviors that still GIVE US SOME PAYOFF!!!!

Here is how it works:

The Action
    Drinking

The Payoff

Numbing Fear

The Trade-off

Drunken Danger
    No personality Control
    Added Calories / Poor Health

The Substitute

Running / Working Out

The Substitute Payoff

I can still numb fear while doing this

The Substitute Trade-off

No down side except the demand on my time!!

Try this! Give it a great deal of thought because you can come right back here and look at the new action you have chosen! Your old habit is no longer an automatic response ... you are now making a CHOICE. Every time you are going to CHOOSE what you value more ... The payoff or the Trade-off
    !!!

PS - you can do this with ANY habit. The reason you consider something a BAD HABIT is because it leaves you feeling bad about yourself.
    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Maybe I should move this to Just starting out -- anyone know a simple way I can do that without having to "quote" or retype it ??

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Sorry, Liv, I have no idea how to "move" a thread.

But I did want to say...great post! I see what you mean. Anyone can relate this to anything they want to change in their life. It's good to see our goals actually written down too.

I have to give this some thought. My poor exhausted little brain can't think too deep right now! lol But I sure could use this exercise for a few things I would like to change.

Love, Me
      :l
      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Thanks Thankful & O2M !! I think I'll just leave it here. Too much hassle!! Me and my lack of intel !!

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Working...
        X