Difficult weekend ahead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weekend I'm due to visit my mother-in-law who is AL. I am determined not to screw up... last time I told myself I wanted to be in bed by 10.00pm but at 12.00am I was still drinking - AL just got a grip of me, think I ended up drinking 4 cans of beer and 3 glasses of champagne. I've started taking kudzu which is helping to numb those cravings. I know I can be strong - I went to the Superbikes yesterday and people were drinking all around me from 10.00am, annoyed me at first but after a while didn't care and stayed AF for the whole event. Got to be strong - don't want to be putting a 7 or an 8 on the drink tracker Sunday morning!!! Oh and have a hangover for going to the church the next day!
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Vlad,

Hangovers in church are the WORST!!

You have the pain, you are trying to listen to the message, AND you feel guilty because of the last two.

Be strong, Vlad.

You can do it.

Love,
    Cindi

ps Oh, and God loves you. I truly hope you know and believe that. I try to keep religion out of alot of my posts, etc. But, I don't think I have to with you....
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Vlad, I give you a lot of credit for trying to cut back on your drinking. It sounds like a continuous battle! It makes me even more comitted to living completely AF! It is just so much easier for me!

There are so many new ones here that have "cutting back" and "modding", quite confused. When one is cutting back, they drink less days a week, less drinks in a night etc. Modding means drinking on occasion without fear. Modding is when one can treat alcohol as they would any other food or beverage, without compulsion. Simply put, modding is not a constant battle with the bottle, it is simply having a casual relationship with alcohol.

For those who truly want to learn what "Modding" is, and how to go about figuring out whether this is the route for you, please read RJ's book. Pay particular attention to the parts on modding. Give yourselves the best shot and success and happiness!

Also read the thread that Believe wrote about his experiment with modding after six months AF. I am not saying that cutting back is wrong, but it is not modding. I say this in particular, for the newbies, who deserve to find accurate information her!

Best Wishes,
      Kate
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

KateH1;367229 wrote:
        Modding means drinking on occasion without fear. Modding is when one can treat alcohol as they would any other food or beverage, without compulsion. Simply put, modding is not a constant battle with the bottle, it is simply having a casual relationship with alcohol.
        Kate, I totally agree with this and am aiming for it - I need also to state for new people on the site that I've abstained twice already, for 50 and then 40 days and certainly wouldn't suggest trying to mod without abstaining first - at least for the 30 days suggested by the site (personally I don't think its long enough).
        Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

way to go vlad keep it up gyco ps i use to numb the hangover b4 i went to church quite the trip hahaha

Comment

Good advice here--Kate thanks for stating it so well!!
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks Vlad and LVT, Actually, this is what the MWO program says (my words not RJ's) in a nutshell, in regards to modding. Very few people are actually able to mod, though most of us, particularly in the beginning of our adventure out of problem drinking, really "want to mod".

Simply put, many of us can be AF for years, and still would never be able to mod. Slowly we will slip back to our old ways. This disease is progressive. We cannot achieve mods through "cutting back" and "Trying to Control" our drinking. The fact is, that drinking controls us once we start.

Again, Modding is not about struggle and slipping. Modding is a casual approach to being able to drink once in a while with a take it or leave it attidude. If we are struggling, we are not modding.

At going on seven months AF....I am quite certain that I could, at this point, control my drinking for a period of time. I could call it modding. But, I know that it would be a struggle for me to truly moderate my drinking forever. I know, it would take control again at some point. For me, it is not worth it! I really do love living without the struggle with alcohol. I love waking up clear headed. Knowing that life will bring what it will bring and I will handle it all without alcohol muddying it up!

I wish everyone would give themselves a fighting chance at beating this thing! As long as we allow alcohol to manipulate our thinking and our lives, we are captives to it, and we are not free!

Wishing Everyone Good Health!
              Kate
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Working...
              X