Clear All

Anybody into Mindfulness Meditation?

bump for Larisa.

Comment

bump for Christy.

Comment

A Work in Progress;456279 wrote: bump for Christy.
        Wip,
        Besides being bumpy, What do you know about yogic nidra?

Sam

Comment

my all-time favorite book for beginners is called "Mindfulness in Plain English" by Bhante Gunarata. And I have read them all, because I do teach this stuff...
          WIP, I just started reading this last book night (bought it after your original post ages ago), and I'm really interested and I actually had to smile at points of the introduction because it almost sounded like me talking. I want to do this, but I may have some questions as I proceed (may I PM you?). The big worry for me is that I'm probably the least disciplined person in the world and its hard for me to commit to anything ... thus my issues quitting drinking, losing weight, etc. :H

To anyone else interested in meditation, this book is really clearly written in plain English and bends over backwards explaining what meditation is and isn't. It does not go into Buddhist philosophy or give you any other info other than that pertaining to Vipassana meditation technique. I bought mine on amazon used books for $3.00 US.

Thanks WIP!

Comment

Hey, Dingo, absolutely you can PM me anytime. Glad you are reading this one. And, yes, it does take some discipline, which can be a huge stumbling block for all of us, just as with exercise, eating right, etc. A long time ago I decided to look at it as if it were something like flossing my teeth, which is also a (somewhat) time-consuming discipline, something that needs to be done every day... and a habit I was able to establish when I was in my 40's. If I set the bar pretty low, and make a commitment just to sit for 5 minutes, 7 minutes, or 10 minutes... then the habit begins to take hold, and longer sitting periods do not seem so burdensome...

wip

Comment

Yosemite Sam;456305 wrote: Wip,
              Besides being bumpy, What do you know about yogic nidra?

Sam
              Sam, I know absolutely NOTHING about yogic nidra... but I just looked it up, because you asked, and I was intrigued.... a type of mental relaxation, correct? Is this something that you practice?

Comment

A Work in Progress;457060 wrote: Sam, I know absolutely NOTHING about yogic nidra... but I just looked it up, because you asked, and I was intrigued.... a type of mental relaxation, correct? Is this something that you practice?
                Yes it has become part of my sadhana, but by mistake, unknowingly on my part...
                I would do my regular meditation and then afterward feel very much like i was
                being led to lie in the corpse pose on the floor and then proceeded to go into a
                timeless state... I would not be aware of the passage of 30 minutes or so while
                having no sensation of the body, only my higher self. It feels like 2 minutes but
                actually was 35. I was not asleep. I normally meditate twice a day, and I have
                been doing what i have discovered to be yogic nidra for two or three times a
                week for 6 months now, after my normal meditation. The session ends with
                a sudden feeling of the body and a sharp inhalation. A peaceful love is with me
                for hours afterward.

Namaste, Sam

Comment

Working...
                X