The witching hour/happy hour....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new "brew" to ease the tug of the chardonnay. Does anyone have any tasty AF beverages? Something cool and fizzy and refreshing after a day in the Arizona heat? We (my husband and I) are heading to our first "social gathering" this weekend since we both quit. We have told out friends of our AF endeavor and they are most supportive. However, I know there will be alcohol there and want something to replace the comforting glass of wine I usually have in my hand. Suggestions?
    Do my issues make my butt look big?

Hi Ready --- I'm only on day 5 AF (and having a tough time right at this moment trying to resist opening a bottle of wine). I'm sipping on hot water and lemon, because I've already had my after dinner tea. When it's hot out I enjoy club soda with lots of lime, or cranberry juice and club soda. Looking forward to hearing what others might suggest.

Comment

Iced Tea Recipes and Other Summer Drinks

You might check these out. I like iced tea, I've been experimenting with it by adding "flavored herbal teas" or other flavored drinks to my regular iced tea. I don't like it too sweet.
      I'm kind of lazy, and our gatherings around here are pretty casual--plastic cups. I liked gin and tonic with lime in the summer. Guess what? Tastes pretty damn good without the gin!
      It looks the same. :H

If you google non alcoholic summer drinks--you will find a ton of recipes--have fun!
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

LVT --- I'm going to try the tonic and lime right now ... hoping it will keep me from opening a bottle of wine ... which I would really love right now!

Comment

Club soda & lemon is the best substitute when abstaining- you could also ask for a splash of cranberry juice (the ol' bladder infection excuse for not drinking, etc).
          Good luck!

Comment

I found this new drink in the juice aisle - Cranergy. I love it! It's a blend of cranberry/raspberry juice & green tea and only 35 calories. I also throw in a little extra water and a splash of lemon for detoxing. Highly recommend, though it wouldn't be at your gathering. I would also recommend club soda/lime or a virgin margarita - yummy. Also heading to my first event this weekend, should be interesting! Best of luck to you and everyone else out there!
            You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

I am doing a mix of the bottled green mint tea (unsweetened) from Whole Foods, roughly half-and-half with some of the really good fruit juice smoothie things from Naked, with a lot of ice. Actually I usually make it more like two-thirds tea, and one-third fruit smoothie (fewer calories and still VERY tasty). Berry Blast is great, and I am surprised but happy that it mixes well with bottled green tea. You can always pre-mix a big old bottle of that, keep it on ice, and fix yourself drinks from that. I have done something like that when going to social events at friends' houses, and it makes things much easier when everyone else is re-filling their glasses with, gin and tonic, whisky, etc. You can just go to the fridge and "freshen up" your drink from your stash of the healthy stuff, and keep on sipping along with everyone else, and feel great.

Comment

I like to juice 1/2 of a lemon then crush fresh mint. Add ice and fill the glass with club soda. Really refreshing in the heat! Pretty too! Add a small sprig of mint on the top of the ice.
                "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Ummmm... I always choose something that I like but takes me ages to drink - like pure grapefruit juice (but you'll probably hate that), otherwise I have a sparkling mineral water with a slice of lemon or lime. J2O's are great if you can get them where you are - my fav's apple and raspberry.
                  Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Last night I was struggling, and tried LVT's suggestion of tonic and lime juice (I had diet tonic on hand), and put in lots of lime juice with ice ... and it was delicious. Got me past my craving for wine.. and kept me AF last night, for my 5th .... so now I'm happy to say I'm working on day 6AF... although my plan was to mod tonight and tomorrow ... but I may just try and go AF afterall! Had a great nights sleep last night and feel really rested this morning ... what a wonderful feeling!

Comment

nothing GOOD works...this does

Double frosted dount, Pistachio Nut Coffee, pass out on couch .... wake up refreshed and PLUMP.... :l
                      :goodjob:
                      :thanks:

TOTAL KNOCK-OUT!!

Comment

Glad my "Virgin Gin and tonic" helped you out!!:H:H:H:H:H

I'm going to try some of the other's ideas as well!!!
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thank you all so much! Some of these sound pretty yummy. I think Ill go out and get some foo foo little paper umbrellas to top off my AF beverage concocotion:H.
                          Do my issues make my butt look big?

Comment

Cranberry Spritzer at social gatherings and bars. Or any juice mixed with soda and 7up to your taste. They look like highballs! My favorite at home is an Arnold Palmer. Half lemonade and half iced tea. Arizona Tea makes my favorite. Have fun watching everyone else. hehe! keek

Comment

Working...
                            X