AA for pill poppers????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA for pill poppers????

yes most meetings i go to are .. everything goes and thats here in florida and google the where and when's in your city for na, aa, ca, pa, da,, sorry just trying to be funny
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

I agree with Sea....if it is an OPEN meeting they welcome all addictions, closed is for alcohol only. BUT, feel the group out. I have been to open meetings and they did not welcome addicts. She will find a group that she fits in with. This may be something you two need to do on your own....I know it sounds like a good idea to take a buddy, but what if one of you does better than the other? Jealousy can happen or the one not doing well can drag the other down. That is why you get sponsors that have been sober a long time. Just something to think about.
      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

lukalee;371365 wrote: In my opinion, AA could help your friend. But...being addicted to pills is an entirely different beast. I don't know the kind of pills your friend is taking, but if they are opiates, withdraw from them is exactly like withdrawing from heroin; it's not a pretty site. In addition, you might be surprised how many picture perfect housewives do attend NA. It might help your friend to see that she is not alone; her problem is not rare, and there are others out there just like herself whom she can talk to. Plus, there are many people buying pills off the street. It may be very eye opening to see people whose doctors' prescription writing could not keep up with the addiction's needs, and they found themselves on the street corner paying $20 a pill.
        They are a variety of Opiates and yes she takes way more than a prescribed dose. She is buying them from disabled people that have them and that want to sell them for the money. Actually your post has got me thinking we could each support each other at both NA & AA. I'm kind of worried about seeing someone I know though. I'll feel like they're forever watching me if I drink at a party or something. Gosh, this does take bravery :thanks:
        Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
        - George Jackson

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

MyHeart,

If they see you at a party, you will probably be watching them, too. :H

However, anonymity is the word. You never take your knowledge of each other outside that meeting.

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

if there havin a closed meetin, i wouldnt,but in your freinds case,na mt b a betttr choice,theres a little more concervative,hope the meetin goes good been workin that program for years,got to have a lot of tolerance my dear,could even make u want to drink more,gyco

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

My Heart, they are there for the same reason. I thought the same thing; sure enough, the very first meeting I went to, I ran into someone I knew. We both kinda looked at each other. But I took the bull by the horns and approached her after the meeting. We had a very nice talk, and we both realized how similar we are. Alcohol does not discriminate.
              I think that it is a good idea for the two of you to support each other. We can learn very valuable lessons in places we might not have considered. I don't know how much you are planning on investing in your friend or what other kind of family support she has, but if she has gotten to the point that she is buying them, it sounds like she is going to need a watch group. Opiate withdrawl is painful and painful to watch, and almost impossible to do alone. A controversial alternate is finding a Methadone clinic that will keep it private.
              Goal 1: Today
              Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

Methadone is an option, but PLEASE, PLEASE read up on it first. Make an educated decision if that is your route of choice.
                Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

I totally agree!!! I have mixed feelings about Methadone treatment, but if that is the most appropriate route you HAVE to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing, pays attention to what is going on, and is available at a drop of a hate. Methadone addiction can be just as bad as the original if not monitored properly.

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

Methadone is one of the meds she has access to and takes, as well as hydrocodone, marijuana, tobacco, etc. I won't do anything illegal so my only vice is wine, unfortunately lots and lots of it. We have two pretty outspoken AAers in our hood, both Bible Thumpers, this is kind of the south and I'm Christian but, these people can be intense about "praying for you" as a covert means to spread gossip.....Oh geez I'm getting paranoid! Anyway, I don't really want to run into them, so we might venture over to the other side of town for a meeting....of course I know people there too but not as many. The problem is I'm kind of high profile in this city, the repercussions could be nasty & I don't want more problems. I guess I'll have to arrive in a "Jackie-O" scarf and sunglasses, LOL!
                    Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                    - George Jackson

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

LOL! Do what you have to do!!! They usually ask in open meetings if there are any visitors; if you feel uncomfortable with the crowd, you can always say that you are. But really, these people are going against AA principles and they would get a load of shit from true AA'ers for going against privacy.

Comment

AA for pill poppers????

Hi My Heart

I wonder if you could go to the AA meeting and have your BFF just not share about the pill stuff?

I have been to AA meetings before and didn't like them-- also I could not relate to drug addiction shares and myself, would prefer something alcohol focused because I think the addictions are different in some ways.

I wouldn't want to share myself though. I really think you can gain something by just going and listening as long as it isn't one of those groups that pressures the "newcomers" to say something, and to be honest I always felt pressured to join in. I used to go periodically, just to reaffirm commitments. There must be some that don't require too much public involvement. Or if it is open, she could just go and be there with you.

I think there is also an organization called Women for Sobriety, may be alcohol focused but may also still be worth looking into. Depending on where you live, AA may not be the only show in town, so there could be a group for women with addictions and that might be most appropriate for the two of you.

The other thing to consider is a group focused on the underlying causes of addictions, like childhood trauma, if both of you have had similar issues.

Comment

Working...
                        X