Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling hopeless

Hi One More Chance,

Depending on what happened to make you feel depressed... this could be the time for you to take a break from alcohol. I know from my own experience that you can get so fed up with bad experiences that it can drive you to just taking a break with no withdrawal effects. And experience of going without will build your confidence that you can do it.

You may feel bored, but very safe and the safe feeling starts to become more valuable.
    It's also a big lifestyle change, but having done it in the past, it's not as bad as you might think. When I did it, I drank alcohol free beer and if you get good quality beer, it tastes pretty similar. Try ODouls Amber.

I second the opinion about Alan Carr's book EasyWay To Stop Drinking.
    Also check out the book by Louise Hay, You can Heal Your Life. She advises starting the phrase: I love myself, therefore I...
    Finish that phrase.

It's a good book for building self-esteem.

Comment

Feeling hopeless

The main thing to remember, is whatever happens you're still a good person. We each have a different journey to take in our own way.

Nancy has a point, about choosing the right time to have a break from AL. The first time I tried I was recovering from an illness that brought a depression on (my first one) & that lasted several weeks. I find illness often effects my mind. I wasn't able to enjoy anything. In hindsight that was the wrong time to try quitting. But my efforts this time have been much better (so far). So pick the right time. If it turns out not to be the right time for you, try again later

I found it useful to find other ways to stimulate the endorphins. You know, stuff that makes you feel good.
      I discovered there many ways of doing this. Like hot curry, so I've been upping my doses of that. Having a hot bath or spa. Drinking quality sparkling water till my tummy is full. Listening to old l/ps. Watching my favourite comedies on you-tube, laughing is great. Enjoyable exercise. Reliving old memories (the good ones) Really talking to loved ones & old friends, something which I had been avoiding for too long. Of course plenty of healthy sex!

I was never aware that over the years al had taken away the joy of so many good things. Learning to appreciate them again makes the journey easier, once it gets underway.

Comment

Feeling hopeless

thank u for all the support and encouragment. I feel much better today. planning to go to the gym after work listen to you Can Heal Your Life on my ipod. Nancy thanks for reminding me about this book. sometimes i feel like i have all the tools and materials to get started on "rebuilding" my life, but they're just sitting there. that's what stupid AL does to us. Thanks again for all the love, thoughts, and prayers.:sun:
        :lilheart: "Love is large, love defies limits. People talk about the sanctity of love...love is by definition sacred. Not some love between some people but all love between all people"
        ~Jennifer Beals~:huggy

Comment

Working...
        X