Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weekend drinking question??

Hi
    I was just wondering is it possible to do long term damage to health by drinking only on weekends.
    I am 37 year old mother and generally l love my wine, but do limit it to weekends only.
    Friday night l share a bottle of champagne with husband, l have 1-2 glasses, followed by sharing a bottle of wine with husband during dinner. Saturday night l don't drink, and Sunday l drink the same as Friday night.

I generally feel fine the next day if l drink this much and have a great time at home with the family.

Is this too much? Can my health suffer as a result of this? Can l get liver disease?
    How much drinking and over what period does it take to have ill health as result of drinking? I know women shouldn't have more than 2 drinks at any one time, but since l only drink 2 days per week and l really doing myself damage.
    I have been doing this for many years. Sometimes less and sometimes more.

Sue

I'm not a doctor but from what you describe that sounds minimal to me. But the question you need to ask is do you feel it is too much? Honestly, I wish i only drank that much, that is my goal. But in terms of medical advice or liver disease I don't know. From what you are describing though it sounds as if you share 2 bottles of wine per weekend with your husband along with 2 glasses of champagne? Which would equal approx 10 drinks on a weekend? Am I correct?
    Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
    :h

Comment

No l actually don't feel it is too much, but just right for me. Between the 2 of us we share 4 bottles of wine or champagne. 2 Bottles on Friday night and 2 bottles on Sunday.

Usually it is a bottle of champagne before dinner and a bottle of wine during dinner 2 nights per week.

Comment

That really doesen't sound like much or a problem to me at all. I would think in terms of heath you are probably more than okay but i would suggest speaking to your doctor and getting a liver test to be sure.
        Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
        :h

Comment

It sounds like too much to me. On the days you drink, you consume a whole bottle yourself. That is 5 standard servings, and I think too much all at once.

You probably don't have liver disease, but many (most?) health problems are made worse by alcohol. this includes bone problems (how's your arthritis?).
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Probably "too much" strictly by health standards... but WAY less than most of us here were drinking at our worst stages of drinking... One question to look at is whether or not there is any increase over time? If it starts creeping up on you, that would be something to watch carefully... everyone has a point, past which it is not only a health problem but VERY difficult to give up or back off...

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Already tested

Hi
              I have already had my liver tested on several occasions. Once just last year l had a test not feeling too well after we went out to a dinner party with friends. My test came back fine. That was probably about a year ago.

As strange as it must sound do you think that the body over time gets used alchohol and seems to adapt and therefore has less health impact over time?
              Like for someone who doesn't drink hardly at all, say only a few times per year and then have a bottle of wine in one hit, would really be quiet hard hit and feel pretty messed up the next day, but is very difference for a body that is used to drinking.
              Sounds strange but can it be true?
              I am not trying to justify my drinking habits, just curious.

Snez

Comment

I still have my liver and i have done way more to me than you. Final answer-NO. Butt anyones liver can go, even if they never used boozie. Just hang out if you need support. Welcome to nuts are us! :H

Comment

Less impact over time? Quick answer: No.

Comment

Every body is effected differently by alcohol. I would think that if you are here, you must have some concern. Also, remember, this is a progressive disease/process. You are probably asking yourself, where are things headed in years to come? It is good that you are aware at this point in your life. Take care!
                    "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Working...
                    X