Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the significance of your forum name

Hi everybody,

Today I was thinking about why I chose my name for this forum. On here I am AstraiaJ. J is actually the first letter of my first name, and Astraia is from ancient greek, derived from astor meaning "star" (thus the starfish). This isn't because I think I'm some kind of star.
    It's from a poem by Robert Frost that has been inspirational to me through this whole crazy, hellish, life-discovering process. In the poem a person is asking a star for answers, for wisdom, but the star won't answer. The last part of the poem goes like this:

Not even stooping from its sphere
    It asks a little of us here.
    It asks of us a certain height,
    So when at times the mob is swayed
    To carry praise or blame too far,
    We may choose something like a star
    To stay our minds on and be staid.

Through all of this hell I have been trying to "choose something like a star," to fix my focus on and get through. Sometimes at night it was an actual star in the sky, as I was wide awake AF wondering when I would ever sleep. Sometimes my "star" was keeping my head turned toward the larger things in life that I don't want to see slip away -- my marraige, my relationship with my son. I have seen many others' descriptions of their own "stars" on this site, and have added some of those to my own horizon. Thank you all for being here, for being so nonjudgmental and caring.

So I was wondering whether or not there was any significance to any other names you chose, and whether your names are part of your "my way out" process. AstraiaJ.

Its the first thought that popped into my head when I was registering for this site... I took a deep breath and thought...'Ready or not"....then I jumped in with both feet
    Do my issues make my butt look big?

Comment

Readyornot

Readyornot,
      I love that. AJ.

Comment

great thread!!!!
        when i signed up, i was ready to fly...and it needed to be high. I needed to get out of the ditch i was in. I think sometimes people see my name and think i am "high"...and i am not.

I think my journey here at mwo has gotten me to a higher place and that is right where i want to be, so i live up to my name!!!

thanks for starting this thread
        it was great to read how you came up with your name, and i look forward to reading other peoples reasons....

xo
        flyin'
        (and it is high baby!!!)

Comment

Cause I am.....(Ready2change)
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
          :h

Comment

cause it is....(time2change)

Comment

maybe this will be...(my way out too)
              ..and it is!
              workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

The way I felt when I applied for membership. Still feel this way sometimes.

Comment

WHen me and my kids move to a new home, we are going to have lilac bushes. I tried to be Lilac, but it didn't work. But Lila did.
                  Lila
                  PS - we are going to have a garden - and compost!!!

Comment

the day I found this place and when I knew I was committed to changeing my life: AF.

july23,2007

Comment

I thought I was losing my Mom to cancer last year. I went with her to every chemo session, and realized how short our life is. I remember feeling particularly resentful one day because I had to be away from my children on Christmas to be with her. I realized how selfish I was, and how short life is.... that I would be blessed to have my Mom the next year. (which I did.... happy ending) So I chose "Prest4time" because it summed up my life at that time. Pretty much sums it up still!
                      If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

kate is my middle name and my friends call me smiley
                        Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                        April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                        wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                        wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                        wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                        wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                        wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                        wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                        http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

I am luCKy because I like the name and do feel very fortunate in my life. I have the CK as capital letters because people on the site kept getting me confused with lushy because she has so damn many posts! So, CK helps differentiate us!

Comment

Liv

Because I have begged God to truly be free for so long - the day I signed in I knew I wanted to be Living Free - In more ways than one! I am truly "living free" - finally! Also "Liv" is a real person ... really close to me!!
                            AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Dull as dirt--I just used my first name...not very creative, huh.

Comment

Working...
                              X