Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a strategy

Hi Rolo
    Well, think it has all been said. I am still avoiding drinkers like the plague after 33 days AF. I was in one social setting recently where everyone was drinking except for me, and it was very, very difficult. How about AF beer or wine. I haven't tried either, but I know that others have. Best wishes.
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

I need a strategy

AF Beer works quite well. You get Beck's and Cobra in this country Rolo, and even one of those cooler things-red square I think...
      I did Cobra for a while and people seem okay if you stand around and "look" lilke you're drinking. It makes them feel okay about their drinking.
      Full is not nearly as heavy as empty, my love...
      Not nearly. -Fiona Apple-

Comment

I need a strategy

Seeing as you don't seem too confident about being able to go AF for the night, why not just go AF till you really can't stand it?

Might be a bit of an eye opener, and maybe you will manage the whole night? When you feel like a drink, ask yourself how bad it REALLY is and just try to go through the feeling. Thats how I gave up smoking- and when you really ask yourself and concentrate on what you are feeling it is not bad at all!

Comment

I need a strategy

Hi Rolo,

I don't know about you, but if I first take a drink there is a switch that goes off in my brain, and 1 drink ends up to a whole bottle. Then comes the black outs, and don't forget the awful feeling in the morning.

For now I take it one day at a time and every morning I tell myself. " Today I'm not going to drink", just for today(otherwise I am feeling so overwhelmed.)

I'm also a South African who lives in the US now. And I now South Africans like to "kuier".

My advice to you is, if you can stick to 1 drink fine, otherwise tell them you are on medication and can't drink for the night.

Be strong, you can do this. We are all in the same boat.

:winkmonkey:
          winkmonkey:

Comment

I need a strategy

Hi Rolo --- I'm a newbie and have had more AF days in the month of July than ever before I found this site. But was going to my brother's cottage for the 4 days this past weekend, and new that I'd not be able to stay AF. But I took up a supply of AF beer and wine in order to reduce the amount of AL I would be consuming. After the first sip, the AF beer was just fine (Beck's)... the wine, not so good, so I mixed it in with regular wine in order to cut down the AL content. That worked. Starting day 2 AF all over again today! No plans for this weekend, so I'm hoping to have a good AF run. I just received the MWO book in the post yesterday, and have read 1/2 of it already ... and going to finish the rest now. As others have said, it's best to have a plan as to how to deal with it.

Comment

I need a strategy

Yes, that is another one that has helped me on occasions- ask for a shandy or a spritzer. It is a kind of compromise but at least you wont be that talk of the town the following day.

Comment

Working...
              X