A powerful link that helped me quit for 1 week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which was actually amazing, as many of you understand. Hope this can help some of you. I am back on day one and more committed than ever.

Rational Recovery from alcoholism, drug addiction, non AA, crank, meth
    This is no longer a drinking problem...it's a matter of Life or Death!!!

Had a quick look and looks very interesting , will give it a good going over in the morning ,thanks for putting us wise to it!

Comment

Awesome!
      "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

I found this very interesting, thanks.

Comment

Wow! That was awesome! Thank you for sharing!

:thanks:
          :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
          AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Wow. Cool - loved the part where it says the beast (AL) is a quadriplegic. How very true. If we make the choice not to pour the drink/lift our hand, the beast has no control...
            Pretty powerful!
            You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Looking: Wow. I remember you so well from months ago. Have been badly struggling. Glad to see you back. I will check out the link.
              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Funny, someone else told me to look at the RR site today, and I did. It is interesting. There is a lot of good psychological science backing this guy's (can't remember his name) approach, and also (I believe) some drawbacks. It's annoying that his diagram of the brain is wrong; what he is identifying as the "mid-brain" is actually the cerebellum and brainstem... but that's not all that important. Just annoying. He is totally opposed to group support, such as in AA or what we have here, and he totally opposes the idea of psychological or psychiatric treatment of any sort for problem drinkers. He totally disagrees with the "disease" model and he really has a strong apparent hatred for AA, in particular.

He plunks it all, the whole arena of substance abuse and dependence, or alcoholism, or whatever, right down to bad choices that are facilitated by an incorrect set of understandings about alcohol abuse. Now, it's true that factors related to beliefs and expectations play a role in substance abuse... but I don't think it's the whole ball of wax, by any means, and nor do respected researchers in the field. And I think he is being extremely short-sighted in discounting the role of social support (such as is found in AA and MWO) in the process of getting and staying free of alcohol abuse.

I wish we could take all the BEST parts of the good programs: AA, MWO, RR, MBRP, maybe some others, and put together a really GREAT program! Well, why not (ideas popping in my head... )?

wip

Comment

Very interesting Hope,

I'm glad it was helpful for you. Looks like the approach relies heavily on our rational mind taking back control, which untimately we do - but my brain seems to like the notion that we can have some help along the way. Whether it's anti-craving med and supps, hypno cd's, group hugs or whatever, having some support along the way sure makes the journey more enjoyable. But I'm a fan of whatever works, as long as I get to keep my group hugs!!

V.

Comment

Thanks for the link, always grateful for alternatives to AA, for which I am not sure about right now. I know it bought me 3 months sobrierty, which I don't think I would have got on my own, but like your link says.. attending AA implies you are forever a "victim", to this horrible addiction, and I don't want to be a victim anymore.

Comment

I only got through the first 20 pages, but I can see how powerful it can be. WIP I see where you are coming from, maybe we can take to good from what he says and incorporate it....

I have got nothing against AA personally, it's just that I can't bring myself to face other people, but without MWO I would not have been able to achieve what I have.
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Rational recovery (Jack Trimpey founder) has some very valid points. I have his book as well, and you will see several others here have read his views as well (Chief). I think this is where we get the term "beast" from. I think he has several interesting points and views for that matter, yet his total disrespect (hatred actually) for AA personally turned me off. Not that I am a supporter of AA, it isn't for me, but it is for SOME...and I think all means should be supported.

I joined Rational Recover a couple of years ago, but since that time, Jack's views against AA have escalated and I personally don't think that is necessary to support your views.

Check out Smart Recovery, it is a spin off from Rational Recovery and they have some very interesting "tools" to add to your arsenal against AL.

R2C
                        Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                        :h

Comment

Very powerful link - thanks!
                          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

another viewpoint

Well, I have to say I am with WIP on this. I found this guy to have a big chip on his shoulder about AA and his brain descriptions unconvincing. I wrote a review about it as I recall, it's in the What We Are Reading section. Of all the books I read, the one about this program was least usfeul.

Comment

As just an overall opinion, I liked that link a lot. Wish I could do it. I really do.

Thanks for posting it!!!!!
                              Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
                              X