Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My life didn't go to Hell in a week...

It'll take more than a week to fix it."

I read this quote here the other day (don't remember from whom, or I'd credit). And it's been rattling around in my head, stirring up thoughts.

A part of me denies that "my life has gone to Hell". I still want to believe that I'm healthy and strong. I've just been making bad decisions (again and again and again and again...), each of which has kept me temporarily weak, but once I start making a different decision, I'll be my old self again.

But.... that's not really true. More than just making bad decisions, I've been cultivating bad habits. Procrastination is a big one, and my professional life is somewhere between stagnant and failing as a result. Avoiding almost all social contact is another, and I have very few friends and a lot of loneliness as a result (though I've always been a social phobic, and dealt with various levels of loneliness for most of my life). And it's even more fundamental than just "cultivating bad habits" -- I've built a new identity, a new sense of self.

I think the biggest loss is my ambition for growth. I remember being an undergrad. I was learning tons of science, but also reading a lot of philosophy, and forming relationships more profound than I'd had before. And it felt like the world was expanding around me. New perspectives, whole new ways of thinking. And it was thrilling. I'm in academia because the pursuit of new understanding is one of my main motivations. Or at least it used to be. Now, not only isn't the world expanding, I don't even want it to. I want to be safe enough and comfortable enough to get through the day. I hardly read the new literature for my field. Just enough to get just enough done so that I don't lose my job.

"My life didn't go to Hell in a week; it'll take more than a week to fix it."

I am not my old self. And I can't return to being him just by deciding not to drink. In fact, I can't return to being him at all. Time only flows forward. If I don't like my present self (and I don't), I have to build a future self that I do like. Hopefully I can re-create some of the good parts of my old self, keep the good parts of my present self (I'm not all bad, even now), and maybe find some new good parts. Some areas to grow, again.

But it'll take more than a week.

peace,
    lilnev
    Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
    A: Practice, of course.

lilnev;381953 wrote:
    "My life didn't go to Hell in a week; it'll take more than a week to fix it."

I am not my old self. And I can't return to being him just by deciding not to drink. In fact, I can't return to being him at all. Time only flows forward. If I don't like my present self (and I don't), I have to build a future self that I do like. Hopefully I can re-create some of the good parts of my old self, keep the good parts of my present self (I'm not all bad, even now), and maybe find some new good parts. Some areas to grow, again.

But it'll take more than a week.

peace,
    lilnev
    Lilnev: Hi. I remember you from before. You sound a lot like me. Also struggling with issues of "self" -- how to get back to the good parts of myself. How to rebuild my life. thanks for writing.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

LN, I'm in kind of a similar place. I've distanced everybody because I like to be alone, and now I'm wondering if I don't need to let somebody back in, but when I think about it, it always seems like a bad idea. I end up running to books (albeit not scientific ones!), and I even get stuck in a rut with those because I don't want to try something new and be disappointed. It's even weirder now that I've had a couple of months sober. I have all these crazy ideas coming into my head all the time, and I have no idea what to do with them. (Last night, I texted my sister on the other side of the country and asked her if I could have the old, crappy piano in the living room that she never uses. Thought I'd brush up on my scales. ???) They seem like a bad idea pretty quickly too. My favorite time of day now is bed time - have my dogs around me, turn on that sleep cd, pull up the covers, and turn out the light. Safe, and easy.

I'm maybe in a little different place than you in that sobriety is so new, and that gives me a lot of hope and an undercurrent of excitement. But your post really got to me - I can't go back to being the person I was before I started drinking at age 32, either, and I'm not sure if I would want to, although I thought I did. It's scary to have the power to choose who to be from moment to moment and day to day. Easier to just drink wine and pass out - but that's really just living death, anyway. So here's to an hour, day, week, century, whatever of building/rebuilding, I guess, huh? *Raising topa-flavored Diet Coke*

Comment

Hi Lilnev,
        I could have written that post, word for word except a different field of work. I am feeling very much the same way at present.
        My career has stagnated, along with everything else, and I now have a good career opportunity presented to me. I know I have to stop drinking to move forward with it successfully and try to develop a different me as I too cannot go back to who I was before I started drinking.
        Wishing you the best.
        :h
        Bandit
        There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Hi Lilnev,

I'm curious - what brought about the change in you? Was it a singular event (personal difficulty like job or spouse change?), a progression of things (age, perhaps?), or a combination of many things? Also, how did alcohol play into it?

I, like most people, go through changes over time. Last year was the first year I didn't have children at home for most of the year. Some people asked me how that felt. My standard reply was that there was definitely an adjustment to make. I had been (not exactly suddenly, but it felt that way) obsoleted from my parenting career and had some discretionary time now available. It was the old "when one door closes, another window opens" sort of thing. I had the chance to start reading a book, not just an article. There was time to entertain that was too exhausting before. If my job needed more, it was ok, too.

Is there a way to look at your "old" lifestyle and be able to rekindle those areas that brought you pleasure? Do you have the time to explore new things? And perhaps the most helpful - is there someone that exhibits the traits you admire that can act as a role model to help lead you to the life you want? Just shoosh me up if I'm all wet. Just wanted you to know that I hear you and hope you're able to live the life you want for yourself.

V.

Comment

Lilnev, WOW, that is me to a tee. I'm afraid of losing my business if I don't snap out of it. I do only what I need to do to get by and that won't work for many more days. I stopped drinking 9 days ago but my motivation for life activities has not come back. I should be more patient with myself but I am the bread winner and I feel so much I have worked for is slipping through my fingers. I do only what I need to do each day and look forward to my nice safe bed. Your post stuck a nerve with lots of us, so how DO we get back that "fire" we had? I also identify with the feeling of "turning inward"- how do we turn that around? I know it's not going to turn around in a few days, but I can see clearly now that I am going to do some hard work to get out of my little coccoon. I'm going to start working on some of my other problems now that I have a clear head and I'm beginning to see what they are. Lilnev, I see that you are becoming aware of things you want to change. We need to keep in touch with our progress. Best wishes in the upcoming days and weeks. kriger
            "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Like so many others, that post totally describes me-- where I've been, where I'm at, and where I have to go.

I'd just like to add that an important part of getting me into action has been to figure out and identify what factors in my life are/have been contributing to my change from a person eager for new knowledge, new experiences, and personal growth to a person isolated in my own world, where getting through the day, just getting by, have become my only focus.

What has to be done from here on out is daunting, and while getting rid of alcohol is the essential first step, it is just the first step. I don't expect it to get easier... and it will certainly take more than a week.

Thanks for your well-formulated and thought-provoking post, lilnev. Right on target.
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Absolutely true for me as well! Thanks livnev. Was on chat last night (thanks rusty, shelbysmile, akgirl and dilip) The question was being discussed "What makes you happy?" I have been asked this more than once in my life and I can honestly say at this point in my life, I can't answer that question (could I ever?. ). I don't know because I am in the midst of becoming my own sober self. I then went on to say that being sober for me is the thing now. It's like when you get a new pair of jeans and you really like them. They feel good, you look good. But when they start to get a liitle dirty, stretched out you wash them. Then when you put them back on they feel better and they look better than the first time. Everytime they get better. That is what my sobriety is for me, I just like the feeling and looking of better. May Way Out is part of that, the book, the cds and supplements are my washing machine for me. I am looking forward to getting yet another pair of jeans to try on the new me, whether this be some volunteer work that I have been thinking about for a long time, but never could do cause al was more important or perhaps belly dancing or exploring water crystals.. Lots of things.
                I am willing to try on new things, See how they fit. Something that wasn't part of me, the old me. I guess that makes me happy, just being, the new me.

Feeling gratitude and love,
                mwo2
                workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Dear Lilnev,
                  Yes your post described feelings similar to what I have as well.
                  I feel a lack of 'get up and go' and am not entirely sure who I am or what I want anymore. I would attribute my feelings at the moment solely to drinking heavily for 17 years. I think that by drinking in this way, for so long, I have been 'pushing down' my feelings and thoughts about what I feel and want. My career and personal relationships have come second best to alcohol most of the time. I am not even sure how I am going to go about getting to the truth of who I am now......

But isn't this how addiction affects people anyhow,...isolation, depression, poor judgement making, lack of energy and inspiration......I mean, after 17 years of drinking how was I going to do anything other than 'get by'.
                  Yes Lilnev, I do know what you are refering to - absolutely. I don't particulaly like my present self....but it took me 17 years to get here....it is going to take more than a week to fix it!!

Thank you for your thought provoking post.
                  Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Hey Lilnev, I am overwhelmed with your insightfulness and honesty. I am still in the very emotional stage of not drinking so do not mind my overwhem-ness. You are right though, you are not all that bad and I'm sure you have a lot of offer this world. You just shared some true words for deep thought and have touched many here. Thank-you.
                    sigpic

Comment

thanks linlev, am soo much into that dilema, trying to refix myself, however much i know that i cant change my past i can only leave with it, i still find myself weighed down by lots of ugly stuff i have done during my drinking days, am a sober alco-dependent person, and breaking that york is something am going for i dont dont know when will that freedom come,
                      love to you all

Comment

WOW!!! I can't belive so many of us feel the same!!

Since booting AL out the door I am also looking at ME and not liking what is left behind now that AL is not part of my daily routine. I feel that I just don't have a personallity anymore. I always knew that one of the reasons why I drank was to be more sociable, as in more witty, funny. I find it very difficult to communicate with out a glass of wine down my gullet and that is my biggest challenge now... to find the tools to communicate my feelings and thoughts to others.

I too found that quote to have struck something in me. I am now going to turn it into something positive and look forward to re-discovering ME, however hard, I HATED the old me and if I don't love myself, no one else can.
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Yes DeeBee, I totally agree!! Al does sometimes leave behind a bit of an empty shell.
                          Just need to fill ourselves up with life now......not alcohol!
                          xx
                          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Working...
                          X