Allan Carr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allan Carr

Whats your review on the book if you have read it?

The one for stopping drinking.
    Gabby :flower:

Allan Carr

I read it ,found it very interesting but couldnt take on board everything he said. However alot of it makes alot of sence.

Comment

Allan Carr

helped me

It helped me a little, but in a few weeks I was drinking again................have to re-read it, there WAS a thread on this earlier, I am just not good at finding threads from the past..............was interesting to have everyone's good and bad remarks on it though...........try to look it up, maybe?

love ya! good luck!:l

MA
      :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Allan Carr

LOVE IT!!! It hasn't stopped me completely (sigh), but I still read it at least 2-3 times a week. I love the WAY he writes and the analogies. You will take away SO much information even if it doesn't make you quit drinking, you will be so much better off informed.

I really think you will be amazed at this book. Happy reading!!

R2C
        Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
        :h

Comment

Allan Carr

Eh, there was good info in there but nothing about it made me stop drinking.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Allan Carr

Some interesting info, but it didn't help me.
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Allan Carr

Helped me a lot! I re-read the last chapter as inspiration when ever I second guess myself, which is like every other day! LOL! I give it two thumbs up and got more out of it than the MWO book!

Guy
              Day 19 AF
              "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

Allan Carr

I read his quit smoking one and while I carried on smoking for a very short time after finishing it, somehow the 'enjoyment' had gone and I stopped smoking without conciously realising it.

I am halfway through the alcohol one, doing the AF thing anyway, which he doesn't necessarily recommend until you finish the book, but after a huge binge last week I had to be AF for now to be able to pick the book up.

I really recommend it- as with the smoking one (they are very similar) he slowly strips away any illusions we have about why we 'need' alcohol.

I think this is really helping me be AF at the moment and hope it will do the trick permanently.

For the small price to pay it won't do anyone any harm to read it IMO.

Comment

Allan Carr

Gabby,

It didn't resound with me at all.

Some of the information was good.

Won't hurt to read it. You can always purchase a used one cheaply on Amazon.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Allan Carr

I got it from the library. It was OK, I thought his tone was a little extreme (and I know many of our issues with AL are extreme, too). I couldn't quite wrap my arms around the idea that AL is "poison." Sorry but AL is not the same as pouring Comet down your throat. I don't mean to offend anyone. i did think it was worrth reading, tho.

Comment

Allan Carr

Unfortunately, alcohol is poison to our bodies. It is a somber thought, but there is not a good thing it does for us physically, quite the contrary. It is only a head game for us. There are lots of interesting articles out there on the web that get quite technical about the damage alcohol does to our bodies.

I just read one the other day that starts with the first sip as it enters our mouth and where and how it goes from there. So, IMHO the description of POISON and DEVISTATION as Allen Carr puts it are pretty right on.

But no CSO4 I wouldn't wanna drink comet either :-)

R2C
                      Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                      :h

Comment

Allan Carr

Gabby I have read most of it....
                        I really like the analogies he uses as well.
                        I have not yet read the last chapter. Which will make people that have read it laugh as he does say not to read the last chapter until you absolutely KNOW you want to stop drinking.
                        I am not drinking at the moment but still I feel a reluctance to read this part of the book.
                        I think it's because my mind is still pondering the 'never' drinking again issue.
                        It is definately worth a read...you never know what is going to work for you personally.
                        xxx
                        Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Allan Carr

Hi Gabby,
                          Im still reading the book on page 86 the last few months when im drinking i cant seem to read anything but he says dont stop drinking until after you read the book so it could take me a very long time. Hope im not that person he mention someone buying the book never read it until after a few years and wish they read the book straight away. There is a lot of good information tho no harm in reading the book. i wonder if i ever get to the last chapter.

Take Care

Love
                          teardrop.x
                          family is everything to me

Comment

Allan Carr

He also has worldwide clinics for his Quit Smoking programme, and some of them now do the alcohol thing too.

I think you spend around 5 hours with a therapist and it costs in the region of $250. If it doesn't work for you you get your money back. I am considering this- they claim even if the book hasn't worked for you the therapist will or does for a very large percentage.

Comment

Allan Carr

thanks guys!
                              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Working...
                              X