90% of life is habit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90% of life is habit.

A few days ago, I posted my thoughts on the sentence, "My life didn't go to Hell in a week; it'll take more than a week to fix it." And I'd like to thank everyone who responded -- it gave me more to think about.

I realized that a lot of what's wrong with my life can be classified as bad habits. Drinking, obviously. But also procrastination. Sleeping late. Avoiding people. And avoiding introspection and serious self-examination. And a lot of my good habits have withered and died. Keeping the house clean. Reading. Bike rides or long walks, just to be outside. Healthy cooking. Emailing distant friends and family. Journaling. I started making a list of all the good habits I wanted to cultivate. It's a pretty intimidating list, and would represent a large-scale reversal of how I spend most of my time.

"90% of life is habit." I don't remember where I first heard that -- maybe a psych prof in college? But I believe it's true. We actually do rather few things deliberatively, engaging the full machinery of our consciousness to make decisions. It doesn't seem that way, of course -- we tend to assume that our lives are constructed from deliberate, conscious decisions exactly because those are the decisions that enter consciousness. The very definition of a habit is an act or behavior that's been repeated to the point where it becomes automatic, not requiring a conscious decision.

So quitting drinking means breaking habits. And that means making conscious, deliberate decisions against existing habits. And that's difficult, and tiring, and stressful. One of the things I've found most useful is to plan ahead for what I'll be doing during my witching hour. Then I can simply do it, and hopefully lose myself in it, so I don't have to make deliberate minute-by-minute decisions that I'm still not going to drink tonight. And hopefully recovering will mean developing new habits. I don't want to have to make a conscious deliberate effort every single day forever. "Effort" is a key word; it is work, sometimes hard work, to stay focused and continue to decide against habits.

How long does it take to develop a new habit? I've been turning that question over in my mind for a few days, and have come to the rough conclusion that once you do something 50 times, it's probably become a habit. And then, coincidentally, LookingToGrow posted this today in the AF Army thread:

"I was chatting with someone the other day that stated around day 50 you become a non-drinker and the struggle turns into a way of life."

Anyway, your thoughts?

peace,
    lilnev
    Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
    A: Practice, of course.

90% of life is habit.

I heard it takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit. I wonder if that is true. Hopefully in 2 weeks 5 days I will find out and be totally AF! (I can hope, can't I?). Your list of things that AF has made you miss out on really hit home for me. It is amazing when you are not drinking all the time you have to actually do stuff. Help your kids on projects, take a bath, read a book, draw, clean the house, hang out and laugh with your family....all kids of things. I look forward to having more of those times.

Good luck to you!!!
    "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

90% of life is habit.

Hi Lilnev, I heard that it takes 21 days to break a habit and form a new one. But I guess it depends on how deeply ingrained they are. You are so right about all the "bad habits" you state. They are mine too plus over thinking, negative thinking and fear of change.
      I have been af for nearly 6 weeks now and I can honestly say that I don't think about having a drink in the evenings any more (weekends are different mind a bit harder but not impossible at all) I look forward to coming here, reading, walking my dog and just having me time. I used to just look forward to being unable to think straight
      All I really know is that I feel such a tremendous sense of achievment with what I have changed in my life recently. I have a long way to go before I become the person that I want to be but I am starting and that was always the hardest thing for me.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

90% of life is habit.

Hey KB, it IS true and you will love it!!!
        Stay strong :h
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

90% of life is habit.

love the post
          for me
          the key word "acknowledging" that you have habits and knowing you can change them
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

90% of life is habit.

Everything you say makes sense, and in a rational and positive way. I have had these same thoughts and agree with your approach...

However, if you have been drinking heavily for a long period (some years at least), there is also a physical element that you must address. It is not all "in your head" anymore, and breaking habits psychologically is not enough to break the habits that have been ingrained into your body physically. BOTH the psychological and the physical aspects need to be addressed for recovery (in all but a few incredibly stoic souls).

The MWO programme does address this with its nutritional and exercise focus, but real diehard alkies like me need even more.

Recent research shows that a psycho-biological model (pioneered by Dr. Joan Mathews Larson (author of "7 Weeks to Sobriety"), among others) is much more successful than just therapy and introspection (plus willpower).

If you have been abusing alcohol for a long time, it is almost impossible to heal and repair on a behavioral level alone. You also need to heal on a bio-chemical level.

I remember reading a quote from Larson, where she says she feels so much compassion for people who go to AA to try to stay sober and then fail (which is the case for some 95%)-- they are like someone without legs trying to run a race. Willpower is good, but it won't grow you new legs. And it won't change your brain chemistry either.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

90% of life is habit.

The role of "habit" is huge; and there are both "psychological" and "physical" aspects to habit. They are inextricably intertwined. When we do something over and over again, especially if it creates good feelings (brain chemicals interacting with pleasure centers in the brain), the brain pathways are turned into superhighways, like a faint trail in the woods, being used frequently, can turn into much bigger pathways (this is the "physical" aspect). And when that happens, we "feel compelled" to do it again and again (that is the "psychological" aspect). The emotional centers in our brain (physical aspect) cry out in distress, saying "I am so uncomfortable, I must have some alcohol" (psychological aspect). And the higher regions of the brain can override the emotional centers, if we pay attention, and stay out of situations that are big "triggers," and keep in mind what we REALLY want in life.

wip

This is an over-simplification, but it is not inaccurate.

Comment

90% of life is habit.

When I quit last winter, I too relished the things I could get done with my time. I am still enjoying that. But what I also came to realize was that I often drank because I was tired and din't want to do anything. So now I try to take a nap, watch TV, read a mindless book: all things I had regarded as a waste of time. The drinking was a bigger waste of time. I need perhaps different kinds of habits for different days and situations.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

90% of life is habit.

So true Lilnev....
                  I remember when I went AF first I was like a mad thing racing around filling the time I previously used to drink with all sorts of activities and distractions to help me change my habits. I think it probably took me 3-4 weeks to change my habits and believe it or not it only took another couple of weeks after that for me to change the habits of my friends (arriving at my house expecting AL). Now its like it never was - I dont have any AL in the house, I never think about buying any and no one expects me to have any either. Bizarre how easy it was to change habits after the initial hell of course ........ Like lots of other people I used to worry about what I would do with the time I previously spent drinking and hungover. Like sunbeam sometimes I spend it doing absolutely nothing .... its great and no guilt....
                  Life without guilt is just so good even when you do sweet FA.
                  BH (no more)

Comment

90% of life is habit.

Hi lilnev,

I think it's a healthy exercise to make affirmative lists and work on changing bad habits. If we don't, they just get worse. For all the reasons WIP and Beatle enumerated, we usually need some help to achieve success in controlling al. Thus the meds, supps, cd's etc. I don't know of too many people on this site that could do it on willpower alone. It would be, like Beatle says, trying to run without legs. That said, I do believe we need to constantly work on out attitudes to keep all the supplemental stuff working. I just did a "tune-up" session with the hypno cd's and they are working beautifully. It didn't hurt - in fact was probably key - that I really wanted them to work.

Keep the good lists coming. It really does help to focus our minds on what it is we're trying to achieve.

V.

Comment

Working...
                    X