Getting and Keeping Motivation and Hope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been thinking a lot about what it takes to make the difference between sticking to goals (including, for example, a goal to be AF for a month, or forever)... and not. Clearly, there is some internal level of motivation and determination and perseverance that comes into play. But we all know that this strong motivation is sometimes overcome by other conflicting agendas (the two most troublesome are the desire/wish to drink, and the tendency to become complacent).

How do you keep your motivation and determination strong? For me, coming to this site is a big part of it. I can get encouragement, and good positive examples, from people who achieve and benefit from long-term freedom from alcohol. And I can see, from those who do not reach their goals, the pitfalls that they got hung up on and by. Sadly, I also see the suffering that goes on for those who continue to abuse alcohol.

I hope that others will want to add to this thread with ideas of their own for successful strategies to get and stay motivated!

Today there was an article in the New York Times about hope, and its role in combatting depression. I think that HOPE is a big part of motivation, and very applicable to the fight against alcohol, as well (especially because, tragically, so many alcoholics are depressed and suicidal). I wrote a blog post about it, below:

One of the most powerful predictors of suicidal behavior is hopelessness. People who are depressed very often believe that their lives will not or cannot improve; they have nothing that they feel they can look forward to. When this continues, they may become suicidal. Recently some researches focused on this aspect of depression and found a way to boost "hopefulness" in depressed patients. This type of intervention could very well be a life-saver for significant numbers of people. Here are excerpts from the study, as described in Science Daily:

"Hope is consistently associated with fewer symptoms of depression. And the good news is that hope is something that can be taught, and can be developed in many of the people who need it,? said Jennifer Cheavens, assistant professor of psychology at Ohio State University...
    Cheavens measures hope in people using a 12-item questionnaire developed by her mentor, the late C.R. Snyder of the University of Kansas. In this measure, hope has two components: a map or pathway to get what you want, and the motivation and strength to follow that path.
    ?If you feel you know how to get what you want out of life, and you have that desire to make that happen, then you have hope,? Cheavens said.
    Hope is different from optimism, which is a generalized expectancy that good things will happen, she said. Hope involves having goals, along with the desire and plan to achieve them...
    The good news is that hope is something that can be developed in people, she said.
    In a study published in the journal Social Indicators Research, Cheavens and her colleagues tested a hope therapy treatment with a sample of 32 people recruited through newspaper ads and flyers...
    In this study, about half the participants took part in eight, two-hour group sessions led by trained leaders. As part of these sessions, they were taught new hope-related skills, including identifying goals, ways to achieve them, and how to motivate themselves.
    Results showed that those who participated in the hope therapy had reduced depressive symptoms compared to the control group that did not participate.
    So, the key elements are:

• Having Goals
    • Having a Plan to Achieve ThemHaving the Desire to Achieve Them

In the Mindfulness-Based Wellness (MBW) Program that I developed and taught at a small university last year, we worked within a similar model, designed for individuals who were NOT depressed, but who wanted to change some aspects of their lives, and who had found it difficult to achieve their wellness and healthy living goals.

We believed that the most challenging aspects of the three key elements are "having a (realistic) plan to achieve the goals," and "having (maintaining) the desire to achieve the goals." We worked to support these two elements by teaching effective planning (breaking down the task into small, readily achievable steps consistent with reaching the goal over the long haul; keeping records and checklists of steps achieved), and also by enhancing motivation with mindfulness training, and encouraging participants to consistently bring their attention to the personal values that influenced their choice of a particular goal. In other words, if I want to pursue a goal of establishing a daily meditation practice, it helps if I choose not to focus so much attention on the task itself, or how I would prefer to (or "need" to) be doing other things, but on my own deeply held values (in this case it would be the importance I personally place on my own spirituality).

The measured outcomes of the MBW program were very encouraging. Among other positive changes, participants showed significant improvements in mood, attentional capacities, and overall quality of life.

wip

WIP,
    I SO much appreciate your thoughtful posts. I have said many times that MWO gave me hope. But I didn't think too much about what hope meant.

Goals can be elusive. We all have a goal here of gaining control over alcohol. For most that ultimately means giving up alcohol completely, but some pursue the dream of moderation. I think that sometimes makes the goal fuzzy, but it is good that it puts moderation on the table. I've never attended AA, but I gather that moderation is never an option that they would support. Yet that thought is still there for many.

Here we are supported in various strategies, lifted up when we make mistakes, have partners in crime who identify with our warped thinking. So my hope is that I would be able to control alcohol, which I am doing. I am learning about the scenery along winding path toward control. I am counting my blessings that I wasn't in deeper, and that my entire life is not entertwined with alcohol, like so many here.

This perhaps isn't the strategy you were seeking, but just recognizing that there is a process for all of us has been most helpful for me, keeps me working toard an end that only becaomes a little clearer as I get closer.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sunbeam, I do very much agree with you!

The point (for me) really isn't about WHICH goals you choose, or WHAT your values are... but about having hope, which includes having a good plan to reach our valued goals, and finding ways to stay motivated. For some, drinking alcohol is "valued," or seen as a good thing in some ways, and so drinking moderately is a goal. And that is fine... but whether our goal is AF or moderate drinking, we are not likely to succeed unless we have a realistic plan AND unless we find ways to remind ourselves of the important values that support the goal. Otherwise, we become hopeless, and we lose our way... And that is where I see so much pain, even despair... My heart goes out to each of us who struggle to get somewhere we really want to go, but find that it SEEMS impossible.

It takes WORK to keep sight of values, goals, and tools that keep us motivated. We often forget that! DG gave us a quote in another thread today that says:

Think about how much time and effort you put into drinking (acquiring booze, planning when/where to drink, working at hiding how drunk you really are, etc. etc.). Put AT LEAST that much time and effort into quitting drinking if you want to succeed.
      wip

Comment

This is a great discussion. I wonder if for some of us, who are more just drinking too much, if we need hope and goals, like just not drinking is not enough.
        Does this make sense?
        I have had thoughts like maybe an Intentions thread or something - for me, drinking was an escape from too much stuff thrown at me at once. In my life, I am seeing an end in sight to the stresses I have had to deal with. They were not stresses caused by alcohol, they were just stresses, and some drinks at night helped take the edge off.
        It can be easy if one has a bit too much to deal with - to forget that the crisis is temporary, it will end. And knowing it will end makes things a bit easier.
        Hope is probably very close to faith, as well.
        I started praying a few days ago and it has helped a lot.

Lila

Comment

great points made!

thanks for that.

i'm sitting here down in my deep hole of self-pity (bad night last night) and this is a great thing to hear. i realized (once again) that i never make goals and have never looked at my life in terms of the big picture, but more on a moment to moment basis ... just drifting from one thing to another.

when i was younger i made some pretty big decisions in a split second and there have been times when people have asked how i could just do things so spontaneously (leave school, leave a job, leave a boyfriend, move to the west coast) -- for me these things have been like flipping a switch. it doesn't feel like it takes courage, its more like blindly bumbling about. everything i have now (which at times doesn't feel like much) has come to me from behaving this way, including my AL addiction.

i think it takes a LOT more courage to make a plan and stick to it. i wonder if i have ever REALLY made a commitment to stop drinking and maybe thats why i haven't actually quit for good.

hmmnnnn. much food for thought ... great thread. thank you.

Comment

when i was younger i made some pretty big decisions in a split second... -- for me these things have been like flipping a switch. it doesn't feel like it takes courage, its more like blindly bumbling about. everything i have now (which at times doesn't feel like much) has come to me from behaving this way, including my AL addiction.
            Dingo, ditto. I have been there, "blindly bumbling about," many times, and I don't much like it. You make some really good points. It really does take both courage and commitment (and a plan) to get from Point A... to the Point B that we really want to get to.

wip

Comment

Wow, great discussion. When I decided to go for 30 days, I armed myself with the supps. All in One, Kudzu, L-glut, and Omega 3,6,9. Each morning before I even got out of bed, I would plan my day. I would plan to not drink, period. I meditated in the morning and at night and would repeat to myself. "I am a non-drinker, my head is clear, my life is in my control." I used this routine for the first 3 months or so, and still use it from time to time now. I also stayed close to those here that were successful AF. The No Excuses MWO members, Chief, Star, Mags, Satorie and others. I read everything they wrote and I went into chat when ever I saw them.

A short while after my 30 days, a small group of us, all at about the same amount of time hooked up and decided to hold hands a work through things together. Thus the 31-120 I am a Non-drinker thread was born and that is were we did a lot of work together! That really, really, helped!! I also bought a book called, The Sedona Method. A course in changing our thinking habits.....it also helped a great deal along with daily meditation.

At this point, at 8 months living life as a non-drinker, I cannot imagine going back to drinking. Even if I could MOD, I don't want to. I never realized how different and yes, negative and difficult my thinking had become while drinking alcohol. I love my life now. No, it is not bliss, there are still challenges, difficulties, sadness, euphoria and all human thoughts and feelings. The difference now is that I just handle it all so much better and that cloud of depression and anxiety is all but non-existant.

I will always be grateful to RJ for allowing me to see my way out, for all my non-drinking buddies for their honesty and support!!!
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

wow Kate, I'd never thought of using time in bed to plan my day and meditate on my goals. what a great idea!

i do realize that planning is everything when quitting so i need to commit to a date and get ready. i have most of the supps, and some topa, i just need to uncover my cds (we just moved). part of the problem is my husband who still wants to mod. he may be able to, but i know i can't -- but strategies for dealing with that are the subject of another thread.

back to WIP's post about hope: i think keeping hope is a huge key to success too. most of the time i feel hopeless so learning how to feel hopeful most of the time would be a huge step for me. i come from a family with a fairly negative world view and have suffered from depression since i was a teenager (hereditary). also i have never felt socially comfortable and usually feel like people don't "get" me so its hard to feel hope. the one thing i get hope from is art; i've been doing art in one way or another since i was a child and need to really get back into it. the past 20 years i haven't allowed myself to really do any ... mostly because i feel it will be rejected.

oi. i'm depressing myself! well, my mother-in-law is descending on me in the next few hours so i should go make her room up. we've been in the house 2 weeks and now we have to entertain her ... not quite ready but i decided she gets what she gets. she tends to be a bit unpredictable so i hope she leaves her snipey side at home ... not in the mood for criticism! at least she's not bringing her husband ... talk about negative people!

any tips on keeping hope, recommendations on books, tapes, would be appreciated!

cheers.

Comment

kate you are an inspiration to us all
                  love ya
                  xoxo
                  max
                  "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                  X