Going to Dr Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Dr Tomorrow

So I finally gathered the resolve to make a doctor's appointment to address my alcohol consumption. I have been drinking regularly throughout the summer and spring and off and on since college. Most recently I have been drinking for a few weeks straight. I drink only beer anywhere from 3-? I don't crave alcohol in the morning or throughout the day. My problem comes at night.

I can't sleep when I don't drink. I try to go without then withdrawl symptoms kick in (general insomnia, increased heart beat, mild panic/anxiety). I wouldn't consider my withdrawl symptoms severe, but they definitely hinder my sleep. As a result I drink so I can sleep. What approach should I take when bringing up my problem to the doctor. I want to keep everything outpatient and merely just want a remedy that will allow me to sleep to outlast my initial withdrawl symptoms and control cravings. What kind of meds in a outpatient setting would allow for this?

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Hi Holden and welcome,

Well, you're here and that"s a start but have you read the book, ordered any of the supps or cds? Along with that there are meds. I'm on Topa. The calms forte supp will help with sleep.

I believe that it's not one thing or the other it's the program as a whole, as well as this site, and most of all you and your willingness to give it all a try. Good luck and stick around. These people here really are very helpful.
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Welcome Holden~

I understand the sleep issue... got the T-shirt. If you feel committed to cutting out the alcohol if you KNOW you can sleep at night, then maybe try asking for a sleep aid first? I was prescribed Lunesta, and 20 minutes after taking it, I could care a less about alcohol... it's just "where is the bed?" And its time release, so it keeps you asleep, unlike other OTC meds which make you initially go to sleep, but then you wake up three hours later and cannot go back to sleep, so you drink in the middle of the night to go to sleep.

I do not recommend prescription sleep aids long term, but its a stepping stone if your biggest hurdle is overcoming the insomnia. You will find waking up rested and with no hangover is wonderful!

I'm sure others with have great advice to follow.

Welcome,
      P4T
      If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Holden, just remember that there is no magical cure. The doctor should be able to help you out - but he won't be able to solve everything.

My experience was that even with the sleep aid it took a good 30 days of not drinking before I started resting comfortably at night. If you go into it realizing that it is going to take some time then maybe it won't seem so daunting.

As the old adage goes, Rome wasn't built in a night. It took perseverence and hard work over a period of time...
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Holden,

My doctor prescribed Trazadone which is used for drug addicts and alcoholics for it is non habit forming. It has worked great for me.

Getting regular sleep works wonders as one becomes AF and really helps cut down on cravings, etc. I find when I make a point of a good 7 hours, my next day is less stressful across the board.

Good luck with the doctor!
          Happy to be AF Since 9.13.08

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Its the best thing you could of done to make the appointment..I have done it recently..I had a blood test..My gp wouldnt give me the sleeping tablets because they are habit forming..The calms forte and relaxation cds are very good..

Let us know how you get on at the docs
            I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
            One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Hi! Im off to the doctor tomorrow too to address my alcohol problem (again). The past two times he's just said to get myself off to a support group like AA, but I was told that AA is for recovering alchololics, not for those of us who are still drinking.
              Im going to ask for meds to combat cravings, or whether he can prescribe antabuse as I KNOW that will be an excellent deterrent for me.
              Good Luck!
              C
              ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

You are on the right path Holden. I too have my GP on my side but go armed with knowledge. First step is to read the book and like AKgirl mentioned the program works as a whole but you can personalise it to a certain extent.

There is a list of suppliments to take as well as the different meds available. Personally I took Topa and it worked great for me. There are also suppliments that help with sleep as well as anxiety. 5-HTP helps with your sleep pattern and regulates your moods. The best thing is to read the book as all the info is there.

Wishing you the best with the Doc's appointment!!
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

hi holden,most people wont admit they have a problem,you made the 1st step,congrats,from my xperience some people need pills,i found for me was abstinance was the only way,also like athelete said,time usually will cure the sleep problem,i even found my dreams came back from nt mares hahaha good luck gyco

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

I really admire your courage in going to the doctor. That is such a big step in admitting that you need help. I think so many of us want to do this on our own and we really need all types of support. We do not want to ask for help because that makes our problem to real.

I have found the CDs and the calms forte to be amazing. I know that some people find the CDs annoying but I just totally fall asleep in a deeply relaxed state. I was listening to the CDs two times a day in the beginning, but now just listen to them when needed to shut off the running thoughts in my head if I feel anxious. Personally, sleeping pills scare me because it is replacing one drug with another (I don't consider calms forte a drug - I can take it or leave it, it does not give me a hangover or other affects the next day.) and I want to be substance free. But that is me. I have know people who have utitlized sleeping pills for a short time and just gave them up. So, it is just my opinion. Do what you need to do to take care of yourself. My positive thoughts are with you.
                    Redhibiscus

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

Chelle12..

I have had to change gp's 3 times...If i had met the gp i have now 4 or 5 years ago i would be such a happy man today...He Will come to my house with Librium..He will Come to my house with Antibuse...The problem is with most gp's is they cannot be arsed...or they are scared that if we drink on the librium...Apparently it has very bad side effects with alcahol and you become very difficult to live with....Where as with the antibuse..if you drink you throw up...so its a no win no win situation...Which suits me down to the ground...I am due to start in the next 2 weeks...God knows i have tried everything else...It is a last chance saloon with the gp if he agrees to do it along with D.A.T. for brits..So if he or she agrees which is rare...I fully intend to be a good boy..
                      I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
                      One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Going to Dr Tomorrow

I had a discussion with my Dr. about a year and a half ago and he put me on antabuse.It stooped the cravings and helped me get through the witching hour.It takes any decision away from you, if you are on it drink you get sick -very simple.
                        I had stooped drinking that time for 6 months but didn't know myself well enough. I thought I was in control .A few months after stooping antabuse I slipped back into my old beer drinking ways. This time I stooped cold turkey but found this site and have educated myself more in regards to al.Discuss it with your Dr and set up a plan and you will do it!!!
                        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Working...
                        X