To share or not to share....that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday, I posted my story about the long chain of events that brought me to where I am today. Writing it down and sharing it has probably been one of the most profound experiences I have ever had. It is like a weight has been removed from my shoulders. I kept my family history quiet through shame I suppose. My question is, is it good to share? Do you tell people about your drinking problems or is it something that is best kept secret? Obviously it is not something you would want to tell the whole world but what is the general opinion, share or not and what experiences both good and bad have you had through telling your stories?
    I look forward to hearing your views.....
    Startingover
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

I think sharing my story HERE was incredibly cleansing - one of the main reason were the replies! LOTS of people have been where I was and done the things I have done. I don't feel so alone and so crazy - and what was scariest was that it confirmed that YES, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL. About sharing it with the world, I don't really make a point of it. Not so much that I am ashamed - I am pretty much "what you see is what you get" kind of person in most aspects including my shortcomings (great fodder for comedy lol )... I usually say things in a humourous way..."I like wine...WAY TOO MUCH...." and kind of make light of it. I think people get uncomfortable hearing that it is a problem if they can't understand what it is like. With my best friend, when I shared with her that I had a problem, she was quite snarky in her response - reason being is that she drinks twice the amount as I did and if I have a problem, that means SHE has a problem.....guess it depends on who you share your story with!
    "All that we are is a result of what we have thought" Buddah:heart:

Comment

Good point KB. I guess I am on this kind of high at the moment and want to tell the world LOL. Perhaps not quite such a good idea eh?

Comment

Good question.

I haven't told my whole story here but I have told a lot of stories .... if that makes sense.

The other day I was really worried about something so I spat it out here on one of the threads and you are right Starting, I felt like the problem wasn't as big anymore, it became more managable because I had shared it and recieved such amazing support.

I haven't told many people about my AL problem (they probably do know or suspect anyway ) but i have found that telling people I don't drink is getting easier. I suppose it's all about whether you trust who you are talking to and whether you are ready to talk.

KB, my best friend has done the same to me, so hang in there I have decided to lead by example and hope that she realises just how excessively she drinks and will reach out for help.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I hear ya with the "high" feeling - maybe too much Gaba...lol! Listen to your heart friend. People who care about you will be happy that you have owned up to this problem and are beating it! They will be your biggest cheerleaders. The ones who aren't - well screw them....kidding, but you know what I mean I know some people who have gotten sober after years of drinking and are kind of like those TV Preachers - they just WON'T SHUT UP about being sober. I have a family member like that - by the time you are done talking to him, you are completely drained and WANT a drink! I vowed that I would not go overboard on my sobriety, even if I do think it is the coolest thing since sliced bread.... but that is just my opinion. DO what feels right to YOU.

Comment

Yes, more good points. People who don't know you can be very judgemental cant they. Also, I wouldn't want my family (only hubby) to know, they have been through enough pain already through al - although I think they think I drink too much LOL.
            Here is such a safe place and not everywhere is like that is it?

Comment

Hey KB how did you know I have a GABA habit ?:H
              Yep, its like some reformed smokers isnt it? Until this high goes, I will just have to keep spilling here.....if that's OK.
              I am just so fkn happy !!!!!

Comment

Good for you, StartingOver!

wip

Comment

That is one thing you most certainly are NOT O2m (boring)

It is kind of scary but it's a good thing. I will look forward to it

Comment

one2many;393083 wrote: I will post mine soon guys...just don't wanna bore the pants off ya all plus I am building up to it!
                    Better get my Adult Diapers on before I read it ...you make me pee myself laughing on a regular basis...:H

Comment

Me too :H

Comment

Working...
                      X