Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Measure of a Man...

Hi Aathlete,

I'm usually on the "just starting out" thread, but have thought that perhaps it's time to "grow up" and jump into the general discussion thread. That's when I started reading your posts and found them extremely thought provoking. It's obvious you put a lot of thought into life in general and sobriety in particular. I will miss your thoughts and guidance. Perhaps you can write about your journey someplace where you feel it is safe to do so.

Vera-b.

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

Hi Athlete, I understand.......completely. It seems that all too often even when sticking to the "issues" and not the personalities involved coments are viewed as attacks and the mayhem sets in.....such a shame. Enjoy your journey, you are one that I learn from, one who helps set the pace!!

Best Wishes, my friend!
      Kate
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

AA - your posts have helped me so much. I will miss you here. Please stop in once in awhile to offer your wisdom. I always read what you post and find it to be helpful in many ways. The site is heavy with bickering lately which tells me there are so many people really struggling. It can be a low spot in my day if I don't "check" my temp before logging on. If I am having a tough day... I don't read anymore as it depresses me. I want to help people but find myself at a loss lately.

So - hugs to you and your life. Take care friend
        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

Athlete I'm afraid I disagree with apparently all the other posters.

If I find an offensive post, I simply ignore it.

Aren't you "Man" enough to do that? I think women can do it too. If you ignore long enough, the nasty poster goes away, or vents in a spectacular way which is a bit like fireworks, but sad when we realize there is a human in the middle.

But our own personal life's path is going to encounter bad people, just as we deal with our nasty liquid ex-friend.

What am I missing here?

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

AA,
            please don't go.
            Why you say?
            What IS the point, you ask?
            There are people, just like me, who are stuggling with alcohol, struggling with life, who hang onto words,wise words,
            that come from people like you who have come through the other side. You give us hope. You give us...OK, you give me...the "it can be done".

You are what we want to be....sober. YOU beat he fucker AL. You have , you ARE, hope.

If nothing else, AA, I want to say thank you for everything you have shared.
            One day I hope to be you...
            Take good care,
            lots of love, and appreciation,
            a girl who still can't beat Al,
            Kim
            Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

WAIT!

Hey, AA, think about this. I'm a newbie, CRUSHED some toes, stepped on many, didn't know the protocol, etc., but, guess what??? I had to stay sober to stay up with the wit and depth of the SO cool people here. We are imperfect, or why would we be here, not from singing too loud in the choir. I adapt easily, but agree new people sometimes need to be eased in to a group who have established a relationship. Maybe they could ask for buddies, mentors, wtfe. I don't have this freedom anywhere else, so I'll be back. But each time a free-thinking, sober-minded, caring person leaves, we are all diminished. Come back soon, please.
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

Hi AAthlete

I am really sorry to hear you are leaving! You add a lot to the site.

I don't like all the petty fighting either but I have started to ignore those threads.

Maybe you could too!

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

All, thank you for your kind words - I don't deserve it but thank you nonetheless.

Just to set the record straight, I do plan on returning in the future. As with anything in life if you focus too much on one thing you can get burned out by it, and that is what happened to me. So, a little break is needed - that is all (think of it as an extended vacation with benefits).

Also to be clear, it was not the fighting that made me take that break. I don't know how to describe it, but deep down I felt that I wasn't being of service to others here and that my posts were becoming forced (disagree all you want - that is how I felt). The fighting only made me realize a little quicker what my course of action should be.

So, I hope to see you all in the near future. As I approach 15 months of sobriety I love that I can reflect on my journey with all the people that I have met here. I pray that I remain humble and never, every take anything in life for granted.

Your friend,

AAthlete
                  Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

The Measure of a Man...

AWWWW--I was looking forward to discussing Husker football with you this fall!!

Take care.
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                    X