HURRICANE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HURRICANE

Don't know how many of ya'll live in this neck of the woods, but, as the hurricane said to the coconut tree "Hang on to you're nuts, boys. This is no ordinary blow job!" Gustav is whooping and wailing his way up here, and we'll get the effects 'bout Tues. night. We were vacationing on the Gulf coast when Katrina was headed in, decided to leave early, and the monster followed us to N.Ga., ripping through the tourist area we live in. Hasn't recovered yet. Seriously, pray for the people in the path. Some CAN'T leave, and this could be a bad'un:h
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

HURRICANE

Ruby, have your fuel prices gone up today? Ours started to go back up yesterday here in TX.
    :l
    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

HURRICANE

Ruby, I lived in NOLA in the early 80's and was horrified by what happened there in the aftermath of Katrina. I am praying for everyone along the Gulf Coast that may be impacted by Gustav. I will add you and your area to my prayers.

Even though it has been a long time since I've been there, I will never lose the special place in my heart that I have for New Orleans and the south in general. It is just so different and wonderful for a Yankee like me.

Stay safe. Blessings.

How close are you to the coast, LTG??
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

HURRICANE

Even though it has been a long time since I've been there, I will never lose the special place in my heart that I have for New Orleans and the south in general.
        Me too, YAH. I was amazingly devastated at Katrina and the aftermath. Even though I was far away, I was glued to the TV and radio, and crying and just falling apart a bit with frustration and sadness. I grew up in the South, and have spent so much time on the Gulf Coast, including N.O., and it just breaks my heart to see this coming again. Ruby, I do so hope you come through unscathed.

wip

Comment

HURRICANE

Couple of hours, by car. By hurricane, not far enough. We get floods and tornadoes, and those suckers sneak up on you. I was sitting on my front porch one night, wondering what kind of big trucks were on the highway 1/4 mile away, only to find out next day it was all the houses flying by. Does sound like a freight train. Thanks for thoughts and prayers. Don't know what the Big Guy was thinking when he created these things, but He has His reaons.:thanks:
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

HURRICANE

UPDATE: (If this is of no interest to you, please just move on) In the 15 minutes I've been watching weather station, death toll has jumped from 71 to 78. We've become enured to the numbers, data, we see on news and telly, but that means, while I was posting, 7 more lives were lost. People, souls, human beings. Let's all take each day seriously and soberly.

LTG, We filled up everything we have yesterday, so haven't checked today. Bad how the b.....ds get you when you're most in need.
            sigpic

Comment

HURRICANE

Ruby, that's why I asking. Some people can get to a shelter just fine. Others have vehicles, yet the fuel is expected to go to $5 is what I heard to today. Those that can't afford it have to rely on the shitty charter buses or stay put and pray. Do you have an evacuation plan or do need to just stay put? I pray for you and your family.
              LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

HURRICANE

I hope the hurricane stays away from you. Even though I live no where near, I assume fuel will jump due to the hurricane entering the Gulf. I filled up yesterday. Stay safe everyone.
                Marcie

Comment

HURRICANE

You know, I'd love to offer help to anyone needing it in the eye of storm. Hard to do now, with so many con artists taking advantage. God be with everyone there. And the animals! I can't stand to think of them being left behind. Think what you will, but there's no way I'd leave mine. They've brought so much joy to my life, they deserve protection. The elderly, the children,the sick, they should be our first concern. If you're in the path of danger,and this could be a bad one, get out NOW. Post me, PM me, I'll do anything I can. This reminds us who's really in charge, and should bring out the best (&worst) in people.
                  sigpic

Comment

HURRICANE

Ruby, they started bringing the pets up here to north TX yesterday. They had a system in place this time. The animal shelters are full now. People buses were being loaded this morning and are headed here to DFW. Hospitals and elderly care home are flying patients to DFW today also. It should be less of cluster fuck this time - I pray!
                    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

HURRICANE

I was encouraged to read that they were allowing pets to be evacuated as well this time. Hopefully things are much better than with Katrina.
                      Marcie

Comment

HURRICANE

OMG. And we here are moaning because it is too hot/cold/windy whatever.

It really puts things in perspective. I will be praying for you all tonight.

God bless you Ruby, and all those who are in the path of the hurricane.

Comment

HURRICANE

Unfortunately, I can speak from experience on this subject. I live in Florida and hurricane Frances destroyed our families home. For some reason I just knew it was going to happen. Can not explain it, but the night we were packing up I remember calling my family in NY and telling them that I knew I would not have a house left. I took my family pictures and videos and put them safely away. I took my family and stayed at a shelter my job provided for employees.

We came home to total devastation. My older son was 16 and literally had no possesions. He had the clothes on his back. Our house had only the standing walls. Even the kitchen cabinets were pulled away from the walls and the only thing we did not have to replace was the bathtub.

I tell you this not for me, but I remember so many times looking at the news and thinking thank god it is not me. I no longer look at these stories that way anymore. I know that it is someones life. After the news is over the story for those people does not end. It took me ten months before I could move my family back "home". We were the lucky ones. We had neighbors and friends whose homes were OK and they were able to help us. We were able to rent an aparatment locally and rebuild. In NO they were not so fortunate. We were not hurt and we do have a home again. My outlook has changed though. Possesions are simply possesions. They can be replaced. Your life can not be relived or replaced so live it to the fullest. Say a prayer for all that may face these storms in the coming weeks. Looks like a bunch of them out there.

Comment

HURRICANE

Sending my prayers
                            :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

HURRICANE

:sofa:When I was a little girl, after yet another hurricane and tornadoes, I told my daddy I wanted to move to Alaska to be safe. He kinda laughted at me and said they have ice and earthquakes. But what I remember is, he said "Make the best of whereever you are. Nothing's guaranteed." The human spirit is amazing, and we'll all get through this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X