Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategies for changing our thoughts.

Hi everyone.

I posted to the AF Army a bit of advice for getting through those urges and thoughts about drinking.

I did mention getting away to someplace quiet and doing a bit of meditating on good things. That helps a lot.

One other trick I have done is to put this 20+ old copy I have of Calvin and Hobbes in my bathroom and when out of town in my computer case. When I start getting really antsy, I pick it up and randomly choose a page and start reading. Calvin and Hobbes cracks me up totally. By the time I get through a couple of cartoons, I am laughing and not even thinking about drinking.

AA has you calling a friend and chatting. I do this, too. Poor Mags' hubby wonders who the heck I am and why I am calling all the time.

I would love to hear others methods for getting past the drinking thoughts. This is a key piece of staying AF.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Distraction is a great strategy, and it strengthens our brain/mind in its capacity to effectively shift attention away from a train of thought that will turn into... a train wreck, basically. If we keep attention focused on the early "drinking thoughts" then they get stronger, they become impulses or cravings or strong desires, and they begin to feel like they are stronger than we are.

When I catch the thoughts early, I just remind myself "it's just a thought," and I shift my attention to the physical sensations in my body, especially the sensations of my breathing. And then I will do something else! Something physical is best for me, when possible, like getting on my bicycle or going for a fairly fast walk... that amps up my brain functioning (neurochemically) to a more optimal level, and also just reminds me that I am committed to being healthy, and NOT to poisoning myself with alcohol.

wip

Comment

Great post!

hi cindi, well for me what helps is exercise, like going for a bike ride helps clears my head , or for a slow jog. listening to music. Going to bed early at the begining. A nice hot bath. A nice hot cup of tea.

Take Care

Love
      Teardrop.x

p.s forgot good fresh air!!
      family is everything to me

Comment

Thank you!! Great idea.

I was hoping to get some ideas other than the ones I use already. Getting away for a bit of exercise and having those endorphins to help is one of the better plans. RJ talks about it, too.

I noticed some people in the AF Army were discussing "gritting their teeth" through being AF and I am hoping that we all get some ideas that make it a "I get to be AF and am happy" rather than "I have to stop drinking and grit my teeth" kind of thing.

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hey Cindi, great thread. I'll second the exercise comment. But also, I ask myself a question: Am I hungry? Dunno why, but cravings are a lot stronger when I'm hungry. So if that's the case, EAT!
          Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
          A: Practice, of course.

Comment

I have my little red book of affirmations that I keep in the spare toilet and that is MY space so when i'm feeling down or wanting to pick up a drink, if I cant talk myself out of it I head off to the loo and immerse myself into reading my affirmations.

I often used to feel like AL between 6 and 7pm, I would then run a bubble bath and soak with a good book to read... It often didn't get dinner on the table in time but it kept my sanity.

If the weather is good then I spend time watering the garden by hand instead of using the sprinkler... it's amazing how mesmerising watching water is!
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Here are my faves - most have already been mentioned, but I'll second some good motions!!

* I keep a list handy of things to do. I am careful to include fun stuff in addition to chores that might be on there. Having the list in writing seems to work better than "thinking up" something on the fly when a drinking thought comes along.

* Recent addition - I did the "Cost / Benefit Analysis (CBA) according to the SMARTrecovery program and I keep that handy to read, and also to update as I think of mroe stuff to add. The list of benefits of NOT drinking just keeps growing. It's good to write stuff down as I think of it, as I am bound to forget later.

* Exercise!! Making a life style change rather than just not drinking any more is critical I think. For me exercise is part of my life style change plan - not just my "not drinking" plan.

* I am trying to spend a little bit of time each day growing in my sober life. I am currently working on the "Relapse Prevention" tools at SMART and also reading the Tao of Sobriety which WIP recommended here.

* I've also officially declared cooking to be my new hobby (I always like it - just didn't think of it as a hobby) and am having a LOT of fun treating my Joy of Cooking as a hobby. (hmmm....would that make a good name for a cook book??? ) I think finding interests that we can pursue with passion is really important to making a life style change.

* The further you get down the AF road, the less often the thoughts occur and the less intense they are. I know I can never let down my guard, but I'm SO glad I finally pushed on through the ealry part of AF that is the most difficult (at least it seems that way to me) in order to get to this better place.

FWIW..

DG
              Day 103 AF
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I have BOUGHT INTO my new drink of choice and I make that every time I want a drink. I learned very quickly to enjoy that and now I drink that all day long instead of AL. I have a drink in my hand at all times so I don't really crave AL anymore. No teeth gritting for me. I also spend a lot of time reading and posting here. Kriger Day 28
                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

kriger.....good job on 28 days
                  Gabby :flower:

Comment

I love Doggy Girl's response, good and fun as always. You are great DG!

I think exercise is a great idea, something physical.

I tend to overdo drinking at times when I am depressed or anxious and using it to soothe those emotions. Now, I really rationalize to myself that the alcohol will physically make things worse by messing with my neurotransmitters. Did you read Boss.man's threads/comments about the effect on dopamine/serotonin? I have a self-destructive streak for sure, I must, but there is something in there that actually wants to feel better and I am at the reins.

Anyway, this seems to help that I remind myself that if I want to feel good I need to stay away from it during times when I am low. As a negative motivator, I think of a dangerous-situation related to alcohol.

The other times (once or twice a week) I am aiming to moderate in social situations only.

Nancy

Comment

Great post!

I also use the 20 minute rule, which usually means grabbing the dog and taking him for a walk. He loves the new me! I also conjure up thoughts of some of the worst hangovers I have ever had and ask myself if it will be worth feeling like that the next morning...the answer is usually a resounding NO!

Guy
                      "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

nancy;397852 wrote: Did you read Boss.man's threads/comments about the effect on dopamine/serotonin?
                        Nancy this is a really good point. For me, I like understanding a bit of the "science" behind this addiction. It helps me to think of things (cravings, mood swings, etc) in rational terms instead of irrational / overly emotional terms. I have a much easier time saying "no" to thoughts of drinking when I am as rational as I can possibly be.

boss.man has written some excellent posts on the subject and I second the motion that looking up boss.man and then viewing his posts is informative. (not that boss.man is the only informative person - just so happens I read something he wrote just this morning....)

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Since I have given up the booze I get these moments of absolute pure happiness. Does that sound daft? It's just that I have never really had those for as long as I can remember. So if I am craving, I try to recapture that feeling. If that doesntl work then I just remember one of my more embarrassing moments......that usually does it.
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Perfect, Starting! Yeah, those glimpses of happiness! Surprising gifts, to me, every time! Very much worth remembering, recalling, and using as motivators! I had not thought of that...

wip

Comment

Starting over....that is a great incentive to stay sober. Remember your last good drunk and what an ass you made of yourself...works for me. Plus, by the time you have sat there and really thought about it the cravings usually have passed.
                              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X