Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polite Posting

Hello Everyone!!

I am going to make a couple suggestions for polite posting that would help maintain a supportive and caring place here on MWO.

Being one of the older people here, I am taking it on myself to say this. (Not older MWO-wise, just an old lady in general.)

1. If someone posts something you disagree with, it is fine to post your own opinion but do not attack that person. All people have a right to their opinions here. We are a vast and diverse community comprised of people from all over the world with many different religious, political and ethnic backgrounds.

2. If someone posts something you think is inappropriate, it is alright to say so but please do it with tact. We have had several occurrences in the last month where someone posted something about drinking on an AF thread or in an AF Forum and several people have gotten upset. The right way to deal with this is to either say nothing or note politely that the post might be more appropriate in another Forum or on another thread. We do have modders and AFers on the same site and we are all friends.

3. Ignore and do not post to any threads where a person has said something in anger or is trying to generate discord. Just ignore it. The thread will die away on its own. Trust me on this. Those who want to generate discord will give up if no discord is generated.

4. If someone posts something that is a personal attack on yourself or another member, do not respond. Ignore it. The thread will die away, just like #3. To respond to the attack is human nature but it merely causes the emotions to escalate and creates animosity among friends.

Please remember, there are a few alcoholics on this site. Alcoholics, especially those that are drinking and posting, often say and do things they would never do sober. Sometimes people who are not drinking but having a very difficult time trying to stay sober are very emotional and say and do things they normally would not.

I think it is in all of our interests to overlook some things, be polite and politic about what we do post and continue to try to support and care about all who are here.

My $0.02 for whatever they are worth.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Polite Posting

Thank you Cindi. Great post.

Comment

Polite Posting

We needed that Cinders!
      You are a very gracious woman
      must be that Southern charm!
      Pan

Comment

Polite Posting

Cinders;400232 wrote:

Please remember, there are a few alcoholics on this site. Alcoholics, especially those that are drinking and posting, often say and do things they would never do sober.

A "few"
        ??? :l Sorry Cindi ... I couldn't resist! You are always such a sweetie - We will crown you the Queen of Political Correctness!! :h you!
        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Polite Posting

Wow Cindi that was so well said. Thank you !
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Polite Posting

Cindi, great message. And if anyone has an issue with swearing, please be an an adult about it. Most of us are too.

Happy Tuesday to everyone.

Comment

Polite Posting

Thanks Cindi, you are 100% right!
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Polite Posting

Great post, thanks!
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Polite Posting

Thank you Cindi- great guidelines.

I was a member of another board a few years ago where one of the rules was you were not to post if drinking- but of course once people begin drinking- rules are ignored it didnt really work.

Comment

Polite Posting

Here here! Sensible Cindi. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. By all means read the thread but click away without fuelling it further and find something more positive and helpful and wonder at the state of mind of those angry/unkind posters. They will have their reasons but they needn't be yours too. As I see it, getting involved in an online 'fight' or flame war completey detracts from the main reason most of us are here - to beat our problems with alcohol. End of.

Bessie xx

Comment

Polite Posting

gees,cindi,we do have remarkable people here,great post,gyco

Comment

Polite Posting

So true, so gracious. Those Southern manner do us well, don't they sugar?
                        sigpic
                        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Polite Posting

Thank you Cindi, you old lady you!!!:l:l:H

Sometimes it's hard and goes against our nature, but it is so much better to "walk away" so to speak! I've managed to do it many times myself.:H

BTW--I love your posts, and honesty. Keep it up woman!!:goodjob:
                          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Polite Posting

Bessie, I heard it "If you can't say something nice, say something truly awful!"

Kidding, police, kidding.
                            sigpic
                            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Polite Posting

:h Thank you Cindi!! You are the best!:h
                              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Working...
                              X