BEST MEMORIES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEST MEMORIES

After a long, tiring and expensive trip to the vet yesterday with The Mighty Berit, I found myself not far from the road leading to my first childhood home. On an impulse, I took a turn, and soon was back in a time of my life I cherish the most. And it struck me, tho I was only a babe then, that sometimes our best memories are like an account we can draw on when our life seems overdrawn. I'd love to hear your favorite, AF memories, and how they still impact your life.
    Mine came back instantly when I passed the church where I went to Bible School, then down the road, now paved, that used to throw dust and gravel through the open windows of my Aunt's old 40-Ford. The house was there, beautifully restored, but when I pulled over I saw it as it was. It was huge back then, a labyrinth of rooms, filled with the comings and goings of aunts, uncles, cousins. Momma and I lived there after I was born since Daddy was in Korea. I remembered the dark, mysterioius smokehouse, the corn crib we climbed into, the barn, always full of kittens, Chit (my grandmother's) beloved chicken house. The yellow bell bush was still there, the one we had to cut our own switches from when we had transgressed. I slept with Chit, in her feather bed, so she could be sure I didn't get cold. The family was like a big blanket, moving around me all day as they tended the farm and the family. Momma was young, beautiful from dawn to dark, and my life was the happiest it would ever be. Soon, Daddy came home, a stranger to me. Handsome, tall as a tree and strong as a bear, it would take me 20 years to get to know him. When Chit had to move from that house, I was inconsolable. Now after all these years, I miss that feeling of security. The rest of my childhood was turmoil, AL soon became a player, and life was never the same. But I have that memory, where alcohol was not allowed, that safe place in my heart I can go back to when the struggle becomes too much, and I am warm and loved again.
    Sorry I waxed on, but, if you like, tell you're favorite story.:welcome:
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

BEST MEMORIES

I loved it Ruby! It made me cry..........I didn't have that but I am so happy that you did!
    Much Love
    Shas
    Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Thanks, G.S. & o2m. There were so many words in my head and my heart when I saw that house I came home & was bawling like a babe when hubs came home, so he automatically thought I was drinking again! I was a weepy drunk!
      sigpic
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

What a beautiful story; and so well told.
        Thank you Ruby.

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

You too Gia...

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

That was beautiful RubyWillow. Makes me think of the happy times of my childhood before creepy ol' AL entered my life ...
            :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

CRACKNIGHT!

Well in June in Aus we had crackernight where you had street parties, huge bonfires and lit off firecrackers (sadly we have now decided we care for our kids & animals more) or some do anyway. But it was the best night...huge bonfire.....lost of noise....girls screaming (as we do) and lots of fun. you were with family or at least the street family where you lived and everybody looked after you. It was ajoyful time.
              Shas
              Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Memories

Thanks all. Gia, I can almost smell those lilacs. My Chit had an open fireplace in her kitchen, where she made the best toast in the world, then she'd go in her big dark pantry and bring out a jar of her blackberry jam. To this day it's my favorite. She'd sit by that fireplace and churn the milk from Fat Betsy. All the food set a standard for my life that I've never been able to meet again. Chit died the same time as JFK.:upset::l
                sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Loveeeeeeeeeeee it!
                  I'm making blackberry jam today.)
                  Hubby is making his blackberry wine. (

My happy memory is walking down the street with my dad at about five years old to get a drippy icecream cone.
                  The stars were out bright and the moon was full. He reached up and pretended to grab the moon for me. I knew he couldn't but I'll NEVER forget that he wanted to!
                  Makes it easy for me to understand how much our Heavenly Father loves His children!
                  Love you all
                  NAncy
                  "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Forgot to mention, we had to pick the blackberries of a summer, when they grew along the fence line. I'd come home full, scratched and purple, and immediately get doused in the the big wash tub to try (ineffectually) to get rid of the chiggers before they started to itch!
                    sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

OOOOh, just remembered a painful rite of summer. I religiously waited for the first day of May to shed my shoes, didn't put them back on 'til school started, except for church. We had to get a tetanus shot in the spring, (remember, this was the 50's, Mayberry, To Kill A Mockingbird time), and ever so I often while running, climbing, I stepped on a nail. It was treated very gravely. As the wounded party, I was carried to the kitchen, where Chit bathed the affected area, HARD. Then, depending on which remedy was in favor at the time, it was either cauterized with a coal from the fireplace or painted completely red with iodine. NOTE: Bee stings, (and sometimes, nail holes) were treated with chewing tobacco. The absolute WORST, tho, was that I had to stay indoors the rest of the day.
                      sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

o2m, AL is a pickling agent
                        sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Love your memory, SB. My memories of my daddy as a child were all mixed up: awe, admiration, terror (he never laid a hand on me!) pride. He looked a lot like a mix between Gregory Peck and James Arness (Gunsmoke), and we hadn't bonded when I was a baby since he was at war. He and momma were just babies, themselves, but it was a fun and memorable ride.
                          sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

So, so sorry, o2m. Mine wasn't perfect. We were POOOOOR. But I'll share my memories with you, since I have so many good ones. Pick any you like and make it yours. Heart You!
                            sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Does anyone out there remember hunting snipes at night?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X