BEST MEMORIES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEST MEMORIES

VERRRRRY good question! Here's how it goes. You find some little kid who's never hunted snipes, and you go out into the woods at night. There has too be a least some moonlight (we didn't need no stinkin' flashlights). Then you start in a circle, and gradually widen out till you can't see each other. Then you start calling out "SNIPE!" around the circle. Suddenly, the 'virgin' hunter realizes there's no one else answering, or even in the woods. Yea, it's mean, but when I ran screaming back to the house and jumped in Chit's big 'ole aproned lap, she sent my older cousins out in the dark to cut their switches, and she told them they'd better bring back a big one! They were mad at me for a week!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

To my mother's utter disappointment, I was the biggest tomboy around. I could outclimb, out wrestle, out swim, out fish all my boy cousins. Mother almost had a heartattack the day we went down to Hilly's Mill, the area swimming hole, and she saw me (8 yrs. old) climbing the 60 foot rock face across the stream. (HINT I Lived!). I promised I wouldn't do it again, but then I heard her screaming when I did a cannon ball off the top of the waterfall. I just could not understand grownups. She told daddy, still upset, but he was proud of me!
      sigpic
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

T'would be lovely to back for one more day, wouldn't it?
        sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

I loved spending my days up a huge Elm tree in the garden.
          I knew every single bough and branch.
          During the summer holidays, I would be up there, covered in greenflies, just watching nature or mum and dad.
          There was a bracket nailed to the trunk by the previous occupants, that only I could reach, being the eldest, which was the only way up.
          My happy place.

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Makin' me cry, Gia. Chit left a big hole in my life when I really needed her. Have to sign off for a while. Hubs will be home soon, and I'm cooking fried chicken tonight w/ the trimmings. Read you later!
            sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

What a great thread!

Thanks for sharing you memories

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

This is a fabulous thread and I have so many glorious memories I don't know where to start.
                I was born in my Granny's home and my Grandfather had to cut the cord, because the midwife was drunk and never made it. I spent the first six summers of my life there. There was always the hum of the water kettle and the tic toc of the old clock. So soothing on a rainy day.
                Most of the time I was up with the sun and the socks and sandals flew by the wayside just as soon as I was out of the house. Even at the tender age of 3+ Grandma would hand me a basket and tell me to go get wild hazelnuts and beech nuts and mockingly threaten me not to come home until the basket was full. She would make wonderful cookies and cakes and some liqueur, which I was not allowed into.

Mother had given up all hope to ever make a lady out of me, as my knees were permanently scarred and scabbed all summer long. No tree was safe and I would only come home if I was hungry or hurt. Grandfather and I would sit in his workshop and carve wood or build things. He could make anything with his hands. He was my hero. Most of the time I lived out of doors and if I got hungry, I would just drop in on the neighbors and beg a carrot or a cookie. The whole little hamlet took care of all of us and nobody was afraid for us. We were absolutely free to explore and roam anywhere.

I remember one day I had climbed the grumpy old priests treasured cherry tree and was merrily stuffing my face with those little wild black cherries that one only finds high up in the Alps, when he came out to practice his sermon for the weekend. He found me when I tried to ease the pain of the bark on my butt and yelled and hollered. I was petrified and shimmied down the tree and he gave me a big wack before I made it over the fence. Thereafter my Grandfather always gave him the evil eye, when they met on the road.

A neighbor had a goat in a lean-to and the roof was attached to the house in a long narrow strip. We climbed the fence and then slid down the roof all afternoon. My underwear didn't hold up for long and the little tar particles embedded themself into my tender butt. Grandma soaked my butt in a tub of hot suddsy water and then picked the pieces out with tweezers. Oh, that hurt.

One day I managed to get the neighbors rabbit cage open. I tried to lift their big breeding hare out for a good petting session. He held still for roughly 3 seconds and then catapulted out of my arms never to be seen again. The nails on his hind thumpers left a deep scar on my jest. I never told and never complained.

Well, I could go on all day. It's so nice to dig up these memories. Yes, if I could only go back for one day and hug them all once more. Sigh!
                *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Lovely, Lori, just lovely. I wish I'd had a grandfather. Momma's daddy died when she was 8 and Daddy's dad was a mean, mean man daddy wouldn't let me near. My husband spends so much time with our grands, teaching them to drive the tractor, fish, work on cars, and they always come to me and say "Let's make a memory, Mimi", something I talk about when we do something new. I want them to remember tje way we do, you and I, and have those roots someday to hold onto when life hits them and I'm gone. The country really does seem to create the best childhood doesn't it. Oh, and momma finally gave up on making me prissy!
                  sigpic

Comment

BEST MEMORIES

Oh, and there's a country song called "Almost Home" about a homeless man who is dreaming of his childhood. Listen to it sometimes if you haven't. Can't forget Christmases. Mamma always tried to make them special, and usually what we got was one thing bought and the rest Momma made. She made a whole wardrobe of Barbie clothes for me one time. Then there was the year I wanted a "Little Red Spinning Wheel". Don't know how they afforded it, but I got it, and made miles and mmiles of knited cord!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X