What is dry/sober drunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is dry/sober drunk?

I've heard the terms sober drunk or dry drunk alot around here. I was just wondering what exactly that means. I am feeling fantastic since starting this program but my sister's boyfriend has been miserable since he stopped drinking.

I wonder if he is experiencing dry drunk. If he is I would like to help him, I have also come to the understanding that you if you are a dry drunk that you really haven't fixed the problem and you are likely to relapse.

So I guess what I am asking for is a clearer defitntion of sober/dry drunk and if anyone has any advice on how I can help someone who I think is experiencing this.

Thank you for your time!:thanks:

What is dry/sober drunk?

I have always understood it to mean someone who has quit drinking but is miserable and angry about having to quit drinking. Perhaps your friend could benefit from some of the supplements suggested here? They can really calm the brain and help with the cravings.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

What is dry/sober drunk?

It has a lot of different "meanings" (Lushy gave one of them, above) which, of course, means it really doesn't mean anything! From my memory of AA stuff, I think it is intended to refer to people who quit drinking but without "working the steps" or "working the (AA) program," but (in my experience) it is often used just as a sort of slam against anyone who is not drinking, and who is irritable or otherwise pisses people off.

wip

Comment

What is dry/sober drunk?

to me its a person that has quit drinking and doesnt know anything ese but to bitch about everything and anything and just can not find any happieness in their sobriety and would rather not see anyone happy ... and me i want everyone happy so put on a smile now ...LMAO
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

What is dry/sober drunk?

all of the above...cranky, miserable, not fun person....because they are NOT drinking as usual... :H so sad.

never happy person, dying for a drink... life evolves around the thought of drink.. someone to stay away from IMO.

Comment

What is dry/sober drunk?

Another definition I heard, my therapist asked if there were any alcoholics in my family and I said not that I knew of other than my stepsister and that does'nt count genetically anyway. My mothers mother did drink alittle and my mother does'nt drink at all but is a sugar aholoc. My therapist called that a dry drunk where there was possible predisposition in the family but one did not pick it up but choose another addiction. Sugar may as well be alcohol. Just my 2 cents, may not be correct. take care all

Comment

What is dry/sober drunk?

My take on a dry/drunk is someone who gets sober but doesn't work on the issues that started them drinking in the first place. My husband went to rehab 15 years ago and came out sober for 7 years. During that sober period he didn't have any therapy to work on any of the issues he was facing; we didn't work on our communication issues as a couple. He eventually started drinking again because his issues were never resolved and they always remained.
              I have become sober 33 days and I am recognizing my issues personally, so If I don't start resolving what I know are my issues I will, in all likelihood, start drinking again. If I remain the same person I was while drinking, just without the alcohol, I may end up on that slippery slope. My recognizing the problems is a start to getting things resolved but I need to work hard. I don't want to resort to the bottle again; I'd much rather work on myself and come out the other side a better person. Kriger
              "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
              X