Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you should go see a doctor

Hi all

I know we shy away from doctors. But I saw a doctor trained in conventional and alternative medicine and found it very motivational.

You know we can talk about the effects of alcohol here but hearing it from a practitioner somehow makes it different. It's interesting to hear from a medical point of view why it is so counter-productive to use alcohol for depression or anxiety. You can discuss how alcohol may be related to certain health problems. It's also good to get all the blood work done to make sure liver enzymes are not elevated.

One of the things doctor advised is pharmaceutical grade omega 3, good for depression among other things, and regular relaxation exercises.

Address confidentiality issues up front.

My two cents,

Nancy

ditto that Nancy!
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

hi Nancy

My doctor is trained in alternative and conventional as well. I pay cash to see him, and cash for my Armour thyroid meds. Much better. The HMO docs will only prescribe Synthroid, which does not work for me.

Lila

Comment

It is the confidentiality issues that keep me from being open with my doctors. I would just rather self-medicate and research. These days how can you be sure your identity is safe? If I were labeled "alcoholic" it might come up on job searches, background checks, insurance screenings, I mean seriously, how can we know? I admit I don't know the HPPA laws.
        The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

hi nancy its been a while,good thread,lot of doctors are rt,but i no in canada from what i lerned,most GPs have very little xperience on alchoholism,thet get about 2hours of education advice,but tht was b4 1988,so if u live in canada,they havent a clue,only as i said b4,one university tot more,so they actully new how to TREAT,THE ILLNESS, BRITSH COLUMBIA,CANADA,all the others spent very little on it.gyco

Comment

it would be neet to see the stats in the states,considering your politicons are more concerned about oil oops hope i didnt start nothing,just havin a great nt here gycot

Comment

Nancy, what are some of the counter productive effects AL have on Anxiety?

Thanks for your 2 cents!

Michaela
              :beach: "You can't go uphill thinking downhill thoughts"
              AF since 10/11/2008

Comment

Well alcohol is really bad for anxiety and depression. It's a depressant. The good effects are short lived, the longer effects prolong these conditions. Alcohol can't be my stress-buster is what he said. I need to find other ways.

In terms of records, I have employer-provided insurance so I don't worry about questionnaires from private insurers.. I asked him to be discrete about anything that goes in my file. I think it would be a problem to get a diagnosis code of alcoholism, but that would probably only be necessary if you get meds for it and use your insurance to pay for them.

Doctor seemed very sympathetic about privacy issues.

I want to stress that this doctor is not run-of-the-mill GP. He is at a complementary medicine center affiliated with a major institution. He is an MD with alternative training. These centers are, I think, better for psychological and behavioral issues.

Try sizing up your doctor to see how open they are. But if you feel you can't trust your doctor, I think it is time to move on or pay privately to see someone.

Comment

Thanks Nancy, and I know it is important to get liver enzymes checked, and also how important it is not to try to treat our stressful lives with alcohol!
                  The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Nancy, I agree it is a really good idea to talk to your doctor. They do know all the things to look for from over drinking and how it can affect the body.

Thank you for the post.

As far as confidentiality and private insurance. I guess I am totally screwed on that since I went to rehab, went to detox and have alcoholism on my diagnosis codes.

However, in the scheme of things, I would rather be alive and sober today than private and dead. Which seemed to be my choice.

As far as security screenings, I just went through one and passed.

As far as Top Secret for government. If I ever apply, I will be truthful. I know many recovered alcoholics that have done the same and were granted the clearance.

Just never lie.

Now, for private insurance, that is a different issue. I hope I never have to apply for that because I would be rejected.

Oh well.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

The confidentiality issue is biggest if you are trying to buy private insurance on your own. They can either jack up your rates, reject you completely, or refuse coverage on your "condition". Due to HIPAA, any future employers would not know about your medical history. Of course, HIPAA doesn't cover the insurance companies sharing your medical history with other health insurance companies. I think this is a total violation of privacy. I don't want to get started or I'll start foaming at the mouth.
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hey Young at Heart,

I know private insurance is different...

But why would the insurance company know about a private conversation with doctor? I don't see how they could if you saw a doctor for a general checkup and had blood work done. It would be billed accordingly, office visit. I think they would only know if doctor gave you a diagnosis code for meds. i remember someone posting on here and that is what happened to her, she got a diagnosis code and naltrexone. And if you get a script and pay cash, how would an insurance co know?

I think it's good to be aware of these things, but surely asking the doctor would clarify their feelings about what goes in your records. I would also ask that notes in the record not include details about the extent of drinking.

It's a shame that people can't make use of health professionals. I think some have a lot to offer.

Comment

Working...
                        X