Lets make Green Chile (for lushy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my huge batch of green chile today and its such a process that I thought I would journal it here instead of of write the recipe. Maybe I will even get some new ideas altho I have done it for at least 25 years every fall and pretty much have it down how we like it anyway. It usually takes me several days cuz I do it in stages.

Today I started with the fresh roasted chile peppers.

For a basic good size batch get a bushel of anahaheim and big jim medium mixed. This wont be to hot. It you want it hotter throw in some hotter peppers. Have the farmer people roast them for you and go home and peel them. Do this by runnin water and just hold the pepper under the water and gently rub the pepper under the water and get all the stuff off and the seeds inside out. There is a green slimey thing in the middle that I get out. Make sure that all the skin is off. when your done chop or dice. I use the food processor be careful not to puree it tho.

Any questions?

I do 2 bushels and some more hotter peppers on top of that.

Tomorrow I will do the pork. I get it at sams and I will tell you what I get. I cant remember.

be back later gettin back to my peppers.

bye
    Gabby :flower:

Holy cow! What a woman you are Gabby!!
    I got impatient waiting for my leftover curry to heat in the microwave.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

OK, Gabby, now you've gone and done it! My mouth is watering!!! I love Green Chile, I love it on just about anything! On a cold winter night......green chile with homade flour tortillas!! Yummy!

I'll be back for step two tomorrow of "MWO Gabby Living" ! Eat your heart out Martha!!
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

You better keep this thread going Gabby because I am buying the ingredients this week! Hurry up already.
        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

The suspense is going to kill me! Uh, how big of a "batch" is this anyway, Gabs?
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Lushy, It is so wonderful that you will be making Green Chile for us, using Gabby's fabulous tried and true recipe! Now, did you say you are going to ship the chile you are making to me, or will you b bringing it yourself?
            Either way is fine with me!

xxx Kate

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Gosh that sounds soooooo YUMMY !!!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Kate, send me a ticket and I am on my way!
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

LOL!! Wouldn't it just blow your mind.....and Mr. Lushy if I did!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

First question. If you grow your own peppers what is the best method for roasting besides having someone else doing it?
                    Second question. What if someone let their jalapenos get too big and now they have the "skin scab" could one roast the skin off of them and use them with the chiles?

I can't wait for the rest of the recipe. My friends won't share theirs!!
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Gabby
                      you know you can Fed Ex with dry ice and everything.......so things arrive to the recipient fresh and delicious....to the lucky hungry person who lives alone and doesn't really cook so much....
                      Just a thought
                      -Sheep

Comment

Ok I forgot to say to take the ugly brown curlie thingie off at the top and that helps take the green slimey thing out of the middle. (feel like rosanna danna) and ya might wanna wear gloves especially with the hot peppers. If you dont want real hot chile then just use big jim and anaheim (sp) mix cuz that gives a real good tasteing chile. ya never know how hot the hot the hot chiles really are.

Comment

This is VERY exciting, like one of those serial novels in the magazines, the end of each chapter just leaves you salivating for more... !

wip

Comment

thats the idea wip.....I wanna leave you all hangin by a thread - no pun intended. giggles

Comment

Gabby, this is one of the most exciting threads on this board for a long long, long time. IMHO, of course. I love anything to do with harvesting, canning, preserving .. blah blah.

I, too, will be following this thread as I have some chilli's a'growin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X