Lets make Green Chile (for lushy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know better then to do it here.....starting over grrrr..............
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Is that Chiles I smell......yummy, could Gabby be near!!!

So, Lushy, I guess it's decided, will send dry ice!!!
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Dear Marqueta, you are a more patient person than I...the thought of peeling that many anaheims makes me cross eyed!

i helped make some sweet tamales a couple years ago with my uncles wife who is from Mexico. Yes Cindi, tamales are enormously labor intensive operation. Since I was guzzling a bottle of patron at record speeds I have absolutely no recollection of what the heck we filled the sweet tamales with!
        d-oh!
        although I recall the filling being pink. ???
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Now what ever you do dont read the thread called "you cant make this up" in subs.

Ok the pork I use is called (im serious PP) Pork Butt. Be sure to get the one with a bone in it!!!!

I hope you have a Sams cuz its easier.

I get a Pork Shoulder Boston Butt. It comes in a package of two but you need them both. Its a fattier cut but that's ok we will get rid of the fat later and you need it for flavor If they will chunk it up for you have them do it about the size of a quarter. Make sure to keep the bone. My sams wont so I just cut it when I get home about it the size of a baseball and after its done cookin I will make smaller. I hate messin with raw meat. This is a cheaper cut of meat about 1.88 per pound. But you dont want the better cuts cuz there leaner and again you need some fat for flavor.

If you cant get that cut get Boneless pork loin sirloin. Its at sams too and about the same price and only a little leaner. I use both of these. And I use A LOT OF PORK. For a bushel of peppers you need at least the two pack of the ones with the bone and if you want more....do.

So I wash the meat and put it in a large stock pan covered with water. Plenty of salt and pepper and garlic salt. Boil it till the meat is done. Separate the meat from the broth. like you do for chicken stock. Put the broth in the freezer or fridge or sometimes I have even used the garage if it was cold enough. Anything so the fat can rise to the top for discarding. This usually takes overnight. Then ffor the meat - I go through it bit by bit and get rid of anything I dont want to eat. Fatty stuff or what ever. Put the good stuff in the fridge till later when your ready to mix everything together.

While your at sams also get "Chicken Base". Its this paste stuff that will make chicken broth. This is important.

Now You will also need a bunch of onions you can get at the farmers market or sams I would say AT LEAST 10 pounds but really more like 15. I got 20 but I know I will be short. Last year I got a 50 lb bag and I only had about a third of it left. The onion cooks away and you think you have to much but you dont. That was for about a bushel and a third of peppers.

Also you need a butt load (lol PP) of tomatoes. I got a box full last year at the farmers market and it wasn't enough. I think that is a 25 lb box (not sure) I added the BIG can of whole tomatoes from sams and ran it through the food processor still leaving chunks. This year I am not buying fresh tomatoes they looked to crappy at the farmers market and were to expensive so I got 4 BIG cans and I will see what it looks like. Depends how tomatoe-ie you like it But I would say Start with a can and add from there maybe you will need 2. They were only 2 dollars and something so tons cheaper then fresh altho fresh is better...but the canned is still good.

k so these things at sams

pork, chicken base, canned tomatoes and onions.

oh yeah...plenty of salt, pepper and garlic salt. I use both garlic salt and the minced in the jar. And quite a bit.

I ONLY use those 3 spices

Lots of people use other things like cumin, Mexican oregano etc. Im not sayin its wrong. BUT I DON'T recommend it AT ALL. You can play with it after you get your big batch done and see what you like, but chances are you will be happier with just those three spices. K? So wait on it.

Big breath....I typed that twice and I think the first one was better and I KNOW it had more humor. (with the butt thing and all) I lost my sense of humor when I had to do it over.

And oh yeah again, while your at sams get a big pack of quart size freezer ziplock bags and wouldn't hurt to get some gallon size too.

So what did I forget?

Comment

Det....I am sure you have some valueable imput here Mr Garlic man. Was waitin for you to chime in. : )

Comment

Lushy....if ya want we can do some chili rellanos when we are done with this. lol

they freeze well

Comment

and also Det....I forgot to tell you....I am cross eyed. Thats why I hide the other eye.

Comment

It goes the other way and I dont want to confuse anyone. I always hate it on those cross eyed peeps.....ya never know which one to look at and ya wonder if they can tell your confused.

Comment

Tomatoes in green chili? No cumin or mexican spices? I am speechless. You make a BUTT load of this. I cannot imagine how long it takes you.

But you have inspired me. I am going to do it this next weekend come hell or high water. I also found a super tits recipes for chile relleno casserole that would freeze well too.

thanks Gabby!
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

lushy are you gettin all this?

Comment

next we are going to chop onions with my super onion thing. Gonna try to find it online cuz it is kinda key I believe.

Comment

oh and oh ya....hope you have some big pots. Buy or borrow get on that now.

Comment

I already have a super onion thing and a big pot. I have every known kitchen gadget in the world in my house.
                            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Gabby, you crack me up :H
                              Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

I have a thing for super onion things
                                nosce te ipsum
                                (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                                X