what did your significant other do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My hubby told me on more than one occassion to sort my sh*t out as he put it. And yes I can see how it was destroying him and my daughter - in hind sight. But at the time I was so annoyed as he was normally my partner in crime but of course I would just take it too far whereas he always knew when enough was enough.

I met one of the Mom's of my daughters friends the other day and afterwards my daughter said to me that her friends Mom reminded her of me. She said that she also likes to "party" all night long!! I know we can't go back and un-do the damage we've done but I have to wonder how long till she notices that I don't have my little parties anymore?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Wow, guys! And I thought I was the twickiest wittle wabbit in the woods!!! I got down a big cookpot yesterday that I don't use but once or twice a year and found an empty vodka bottle in it. Once I told my granddaughter she could go through my fabric scrap box and she found 1/2 a bottle in it. Found 'em under mattresses, in the dog carrier, onandonandon....Chelle, I've had exactly the same experience with the drawer thing. Everytime Hubs poured out a bottle, he'd say, "Wonder what else you could've bought with what's going down the drain?" Here's the kicker: we live in a semi-dry county. You can buy beer and wine, but not alcohol! I had to make a 40 mile round trip! So factor in the gas cost and I could have bought a car for what I've spent!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

i didn't get to the point of hiding bottles in the house, but was at the point where i hid the empty ones, or basically would sneak them out into the garage trash can instead of putting them in the recycling. always fooling myself into thinking i wasn't "hiding" anything from anyone.

Comment

When I went over to my kids grade school smashed and made an ass out of myself.....the Principle called my wife to come get me ! I ended up going back to the school the next day an applogeing to everyone in the admin office.....Humeliating.....
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Babbert;404003 wrote: i didn't get to the point of hiding bottles in the house, but was at the point where i hid the empty ones, or basically would sneak them out into the garage trash can instead of putting them in the recycling. always fooling myself into thinking i wasn't "hiding" anything from anyone.
            Babbert - I ended up hiding the FULL bottles in the trash outside, because my partner had found all my other hidey-places!
            I used to recover them, all stinking.. wiped the bottle with a cloth and drink them. God knows what my neighbours must have thought if they'd looked out their window.. They would have seen me half in and half out of a wheelie bin, desperately claeing away through all the filth to find my previously stashed bottle...
            Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in the BATH...lol... (usually with a tumbler of wine, which when I came out of the bathroom, I hid in my shoe so he wouldnt spot that Id been drinking in the bath).
            ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

This is quite a thread I must say. Aren't we all so sneaky! I have hid bottles full, half full and empty all around the house, garage and greenhouse. Hubby has never said much to me about drinking. He doesn't drink but maybe 3 beers a week. When he has said something it's always ' did you drink that WHOLE bottle of wine'?....... or....'having some wine?'.....
              Being alcohol free is so much easier than hiding and sneaking. Everyone knows. I never fooled anyone....not even myself.
              When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
              -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

My friend who has been AF for around 3 years now used to hide it in her toilet cistern.

Her husband found it :O

I am still finding empty beer cans in strange places. Hidden behind boxes, in the back of closets etc.

Comment

We drinkers are cagey little devils, arent we? Outside of the hangovers, these are the things I think about to keep me AF. I never want to go back to the hiding, the lies and just trying to pretend I haven't been drinkig when I damn well Have. That is too much work- keeping up appearances (I think that is a British sitcom-main character Hyacinth). Kriger
                  "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

I never had to hide anything from hubby, he sort of just accepted when I wanted to drink. He would always join me too but it never had the effect on him that it did on me. He used to put me to bed and then make sure I was still breathing :H Used to have to hide it from my mum though LOL
                    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Oh yes Kriger, pretending that I hadn't had a drink. That was hard. Wonder if anyone ever fell for it? Don't know where I got the energy for all that !
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

My husband gave up alcohol altogether, in order to remove it from our household. He thought that would help me from being tempted. He didn't understand that the temptation came from within. Yes, I too hid bottles, full / empty / partly drunk. I said I'd had none when it was obvious I'd had way too much. The best thing my husband did was to continue to love me, inspite of what I put him through. Still amazes me! I knew he loved me. But when he came to me in tears and said that he would not stay married to me and watch while I destroyed myself...He said he loved me too much to be part of that on a day to day basis. That was his greatest gift of all! Because it finally got my attention. I knew that he meant it. Thank you, Mr. Best. I owe my life to you... :h
                        "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Interesting to come across this thread the day after I found a coffee mug I had been looking for, for weeks now. It was hidden under a pile of socks. I don't even remember how it got there -- thought maybe it went to the mysterious place where all of the other "supposedly drinking coffee" mugs went. A good reminder of why I'm persisting AF -- now when I put a cup somewhere, at least I remember where I put it.

As for your question, my husband was another one of those silent sufferers. He really didn't say much but now that I have stopped drinking, he's beginning to talk about how glad he is and how hard it WAS. I don't know if it would have made much difference if he would have said much back then, since quitting has come from inside a person. But thank goodness for today.

Comment

Working...
                          X