Helpful book I just found....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's called, "Take Control Of Your Drinking...Any You May Not Need To Quit", by Michael S. Levy, PH.D. While reading this I felt like this guy really understood what I was going through. I realized the main reasons why I drink and how to handle that. He writes about everything I've ever thought about regarding my drinking. Like, that I've never believed that I was addicted, but why couldn't I stop? He says one reason is that people get stuck. Freud named it "repetition compulsion", which is when "people repeat the same behavior over and over again despite suffering from adverse consequences". That's what I was doing. So, I'm following his advice by creating a contract to moderate my drinking. And it's working. I also made the pros and cons lists. That was huge! The pros of changing my drinking habits far out weigh the cons. I feel very proud of myself and that's motivation to keep doing this.

I can't do topamax as it causes me to feel very irritated and angry. Don't know why. It worked great with the alcohol cravings, but I just needed to find something else. Now I'm going about it without drugs. It's not going to help everyone, of course. He strongly advises abstinence for those who cannot moderate. So far, moderation is working for me. I hope this helps others, too.

I am glad that MODS is working for you.I guess it would be nice to be able to take it or leave it.I tired it,after 17yrs.sober, and I thought that it was working for me.WRONG...After a few weeks,the drink started taking me again and I had to fight for my life to get sober again.There are different kinds of ALCOHOLICS(as RJ says in the MWO book) some can MOD,some can NEVER...I AM THE NEVER..Drink again and I will surely die..
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Working...
    X