Yesterday was a Microcosm Of Life....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, a big part of my recovery was letting go of the little things that routinely upset me, and simply chalking them up to life happening all around me. I can't control IT - so I might as well work on how I react to it.

Throughout our day we have multiple opportunities to 'do the right thing.' It can be as simple as opening to door for someone or saying 'I'm sorry' to someone we've harmed. For a long time I would let how I reacted to the first opportunity of the day dictate how the rest of it would go. If it went poorly I would say 'to hell with it,' and most likely the rest of the day I would be all wrapped up in only me.

For me, getting sober wasn't just about not drinking anymore - it was also about getting a handle on my selfishness and self-centeredness. I had to get away from thinking about myself all the time and start thinking about others instead.

Yesterday was a microcosm of life for me. It started out very well, then took a turn south at work, then got better, and finally turned south again last night (I expressed frustration at toys lying around the house again - my wife does daycare). As I got ready for bed I realized that I had an opportunity to 'do the right thing.' Could I control that there were eight kids in the daycare yesterday? No... Could I control that my wife felt a little overwhelmed that day? Not really..... In the grand scheme of things is a couple of toys lying around really a big deal? Of course not....

So, I took a big old bite of humble pie and apologized for being upset about the toys and then listened to what she had to say. Getting it out took away all the frustration in me my wife didn't have to go to bed upset. I guess the moral to the story would be that there is always going to be an opportunity to set wrongs to rights, we just have to be ready and open to them when they happen.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Spot on AA. As i said yesterday, you gotta clear those plates one by one, cause if you let them stack up they will fall and break.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

AA that post was TOPS!!!
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Well done AA!! I was once engaged to a man who was uptight about EVERYTHING. He would yell at my daughter for putting one dirty dish in the sink. I bought him a book called "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff." "It's All Small Stuff." He was offended at first, but once he read it, He said that he found it to be very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
        "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

AA--could you please give my dh a call????:H

We have never really learned to communicate as a couple. Our life is a lot of times what you described--especially when he drinks. I hate any kind of conflict, so I just clam up. I think it is slowly getting better though. If we could just learn to talk instead of hold it in or get mad first.

Sea- I had to laugh. I bought my hubby that book years ago. I ran across it the other day and put it out again. He's never read it of course!:H

Thanks for sharing that AA!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

AA thanks for sharing that. It is something that I am trying to learn. It ain't easy either :upset:
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

AA:l

AA's wife:l:l

Eight kids! Wow.......what a woman!
              And ....what a man!

Proud of you!

Keep up the good work! BOTH of you!!!
              :hNancy
              "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Loved that post AA. I read it at exactly the right time of day as it is the pre-dinner,got to sum up the day and plan for tomorrow time of day. Typically it's when I crave wine the most.
                Instead I'm going to serve myself up a piece of humble pie and think of what might be bothering others in my family (and beyond) instead of only thinking of myself.
                Thanks!
                Janet

Comment

AAthelete,

Your message is so true!! I know that burrowing into self-centeredness and selfishness is a big piece of my drinking.

I have learned that each day can have several do overs.

When I am having one of those "why me?" days, my mantra becomes, "Put one foot in front of the other and do the next right thing."

I learned this in AA. It helps immensely. I do know that anger, frustration, irritation all lead to thoughts of drinking. And, they do no good at all for us, anyway!!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A great example of the fact that it is not "just" the alcohol. Elimnating or getting alcohol under control often means a whole change in lifestyle, especially our responses to both life's stressors and pleasures.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                    X