Addiction, Self-Deception, and Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the internet science news blogs (MindHacks) that I monitor has published an excellent post about addiction and self-deception. It refers to a recent news special that does a very good job of explaining what we are beginning to understand about what "addiction" is, and what it is not. It strikes a balance between blaming addicts for their behavior (You can just stop, if only you would! Just say "no"!), on the one hand, and viewing addiction as a genetic/physiological disorder or disease that renders us helpless, on the other hand. This is a difficult balance. The original post, with links to the sources cited, is here. Here's the entire post:

I've just got round to listening to ABC Radio National's two part Health Report special on the drug and alcohol dependence and was pleasantly surprised about how well constructed and informative it was.

These sorts of programmes can be a little dry, if you'll excuse the pun, but this two-parter in a compelling look into the effects of a number of substances, talks to some addicts in treatment, explores some residential services and discusses the evidence for various treatment.

The interviews are quite revealing and they're a good demonstration that addiction is not solely about the drug. People who become seriously addicted change their lives to accommodate their addiction, and can live quite precariously as a result.

This often alters people's behaviour, often in quite an adaptive way considering the unpredictable and dangerous circumstances, but not in a way that is best suited to mainstream life.

For example, one gentleman notes that he had to get out of the habit of lying to people as a short term fix to problems.

This is not a direct effect of the drug, but these sorts of maladaptive behaviours also need to be addressed during treatment for addiction for it to be successful.

Stopping the drug is only a part of the battle - stepping out of an ingrained lifestyle, mindset and pattern of behaviour can be the real challenge.

Addiction is more than just problem with taking too much of a chemical, it's equally a social and emotional issue and we are often guilty of downplaying this aspect while clumsily trying to avoid the language of blame. The pure 'disease model', that says addiction is nothing more than a genetic brain disorder triggered by a particular substance, is a case in point.

It is, of course, possible to highlight individual responsibility without victimising people, but this is a difficult task for many in a society that has many double standards over the issue of drug taking.

The situation was wonderfully described in a 2003 article in the Journal of Applied Philosophy that noted that we often accuse addicts of self-deception while pushing our own self-deceptions about addiction as a substitute:

We frequently accuse heavy drinkers and drug users of self-deception if they refuse to admit that they are addicted. However, given the ways in which we usually conceptualize it, acknowledging addiction merely involves swapping one form of self-deception for another. We ask addicts to see themselves as in the grip of an irresistible desire, and to accept that addiction is an essentially physiological process. To the extent this is so, we, as much as the addicts, suffer from self-deception, and the responsibility for their state is in part ours. Conversely, since addicts are compelled to accept a self-deceptive image of themselves, they are at least partially excused from blame for their self-deception.
    wip

A Work in Progress;408375 wrote: Stopping the drug is only a part of the battle - stepping out of an ingrained lifestyle, mindset and pattern of behaviour can be the real challenge....
    WIP, I think this is the part that trips most people up. They think that by simply stopping drinking their issue will go away, and many times that couldn't be farther from the truth.

When I go to my meetings, I rarely hear people talking about actual drinking problems. Instead, they talk about life problems; the crap that goes on every day in everybody's life. We have chosen to deal with it by drinking - but everyone goes through it in there own way. It's that physic change, that behavioral modification, that is the hardest part of this disease to conquer.
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Absolutley. Ive had to take a step away from the catering trade, well, restaurants because the temptation there is huge. Booze is there and your always surrounded by it. Its too easy to drink and slip. Its why i left my job, cause i knew that just stopping wasnt going to work. I had to change the whole structure of my drinking patterns.
      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Dear WIP,I know that to just stop AL is not nearly enough.I find that now I have changed one addictive behavior for another or probably many others.I am doing much soul searching to find out why...I have been obsessing on ice eating(not good for the teeth).Yesterday I thought that this is getting out of control so I goggled it..There is a whole support group for ice eaters...Sad,but true...They say that ice eating can be a sign of lacking IRON...I am gonna check that out...Possible,I guess..
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Great information, WIP! Stopping the drug of choice is truly the first step, but to truly "get sober" we must change our thinking and our life style. As long as we persist on staying focused on the drug of choice, and on our self centeredness, we will still be addicts, even if we do not drink!
          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Very interesting stuff....I agree 100%....quitting drinking is just the start of the healing process....we have to learn to live sober instead of living as an alcoholic who isn't drinking.....big difference...

Don

Comment

Thats what I am struggling with now. Its a new life..........now what? What do I do, where do I go? How do I deal with stuff? What if it gets really difficult. It is very scary sometimes and sometimes it is very exciting. And then the biggest and scariest question, What if I fail??? difficult...
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Alcoholism is a strange hybrid. It's a "disease," in some senses, depending on how you define "disease"; but it's also a behavioral problem that gradually, insidiously, changes our own biochemistry and neuroanatomy, which are then reflected in deeply entrenched and maladaptive thinking patterns, attitudes, persistent urges/cravings, the entire gamut of what the Buddhists call "habit energy." It's easy to walk downhill into the path that leads to alcoholism; it's pretty difficult to walk UPHILL in the pathway that leads out. And the uphill pathway seemingly has all sorts of goblins that leap out at us... But it is worth it.

It certainly is an immense help, to me, to have such a wonderful group of people to "walk up the hill" with.

wip

Comment

This is such a great topic! These are some thoughts, of how this worked for me. First of all, I could not change my drinking or my life as long as I still drank...period! In order to stop drinking I did need to through out my long list of why it was OK and even understandable that I would drink: stress, sad, anxiety, unreasonable ex, my sons divorce, worries about my granddaughters, financial worries, worries about Daves health........on and on and on! Yep....because of my long list of injustice, stress and sadness, I continued to justify my drinking. I was always thinking, that, when life became calmer, and less stressful, then I could and would stop drinking. Well, what I have discovered is, that the stopping drinking has to come first. Then, after some time, our head begins to clear, the depression lifts and the anxiety subsides. Then and only then are we able to break free of the "Drinking Thinking" and make the decisions and take the action to turn our lives around! And, yes, Don, I so agree, it does take work!

Thanks for letting me get this out!!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

what I have discovered is, that the stopping drinking has to come first. Then, after some time, our head begins to clear, the depression lifts and the anxiety subsides. Then and only then are we able to break free of the "Drinking Thinking" and make the decisions and take the action to turn our lives around!
                    Absolutely, Kate. One of the things I find a bit frustrating is to watch some of those who come here, embark on their first attempt at a period of 30 days without alcohol, and very soon become somewhat panicky because they don't immediately feel wonderful. It does take time, and work, and some capacity to have faith that what others have experienced (that life does get better, if we are patient and determined) can and will happen for them, too. Of course one part of the "drinking thinking" that OneTwo refers to is the idea that every difficult situation in our lives should and must and can be effectively remedied by alcohol... Hard to stamp that one out (or, better, let it wither and die).

wip

Comment

One2, I hear you, but you will get there !

Yes, WIP, it is sometimes hard to be patient and realize that it took most of us years to get to the point that we "Knew" we had to stop drinking, that it was controlling us and there fore controlling our lives, and it will take more than 30 days to turn things around!

The other frustration comes from, hear people here say, that they need to change there thinking while still drinking in order to stop drinking!! Or that they need to rid their lives of stress before stopping......the thing is, we need to Stop Drinking FIRST! It just makes sense.

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Totally agree!

This is by-far my biggest problem. I have arranged my whole life around AL. My job is perfectly arange around being an drunk. My home life is set up nicely for my 'hobbie'. It is something ALL my friends like to do.

How is the best way to change all that? I know the old school way, "man up, Sally" but I am sure going AF would be easier if I could change the path that I have made in my life. I know alot of you are going to say stop drinking first. Totally agree but I think something I need to do is also make thoes changes in my life that will not have me using AL.

Is there some kind of life coach out there that one can hire to get them going on a different path. I know, Im the one that is going to have to step-up and start the changes. I 've been in my job long enough, some would say it silly to start eleswhere on a career. My family finances depend on me making what I do. My spouse's job is better than mine and does not really allow me to bounce around and 'find my self.'

I went AL free for a while once, My life sucked? I removed my self from my frindes & family. I had difficulty finding things that I enjoyed. I worked all the time. I exercised constantly. I got all of our bills caught up. I got our credit almost perfect. My spouce had several affairs the whole time I was sober. I missed out on all my friend social doings.

Really didnt find that way of life much better than my AL days. I know it should be, but I didnt tackle it in the best of ways. I want to be AL free but do something different with my life when I do. How has any one found 'their purpose' in life.

I think that is the absolute first thing I need to do in order to head down the right path, this time. I have read dozens of books on "finding ones purpose" "living more positive lifestyle" so on. "Make a list of 20 thing you want to do before u die, money not an issue". I couldnt think of one.

I have clouded my life for so long with AL that I have blinded myself to other options in life. I'm having difficulty finding other career pathes, different hobbies to pursue, things to do with other people that doesent involve AL.

All an excusse, Im sure. but if any of you have found somethig to help in restarting your life please let me know!

Comment

Great subject! It's like we don't know what to do with ourselves when we aren't preoccupied with AL. I had had trouble with the 'it's a disease, it's not your fault, you can't help it' idea. Sure there is some truth to it and genetics and will power etc. But it's not just one thing, it's everything for a problem drinker.
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Here's the thing. There's something called the "hedonic treadmill," a strange name for the phenomenon that, no matter how good the changes might be in our lives, we always adapt to them and become complacent and dissatisfied. We have to have challenges, and something significant to strive for, in order to have a sense of purpose and genuine enjoyment of our lives.

Getting AF is a big challenge, a kind of a "mission" we can embark on, and it fulfills that need very nicely, for a while. It feels great to see life all new, to realize how fantastic it is to be free of the bondage we once lived in. But it inevitably becomes... boring, or not quite so satisfying, or not exciting... it gets old. I once told someone, after one of my returns to drinking that followed one of my long (a year or more) periods of being AF, that my life without alcohol was not really better than my life with alcohol had been... so why not drink? Well, I pretty quickly remembered that life with alcohol WAS in fact truly a LOT worse... but it took more years of misery to kick it out of my life again.... Anyhow the error is partly in thinking that we can EVER rest on our laurels. We ALWAYS have to be looking for a new challenge and we will not always necessarily find our greatest satisfaction merely (and that isn't intended as a denigration) in NOT doing anything, including NOT drinking...

wip

Comment

The walk up the hill from hell seems so difficult.
                              :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

Working...
                              X