Why I like this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why I like this forum

last night my husband turned to me and said "you know, you're doing alot better this time than the last time you did this".
    i've done the 30 days before, the standard classic way. the aa meetings and counseling sessions. and my first reaction to his comment was to get defensive (cause i'm in my crabby stage) and said "yeah, well, maybe cause this time i've got the supplements and the topamax and the cds etc". but then i started to think about it. why am i doing so much better this time? i mean, last time wasn't horrid, i did 30 days, wasn't the most agonizing climb of my life, but there was something about it that didn't work. i just didn't buy into it. i couldn't get past standing up in front of a bunch of strangers announcing i was an alcoholic. couldn't get past meeting once a week, every monday at 8pm, and listening to alot of people that i just could not relate to at all. couldn't get past holding hands at the end and saying a prayer about being powerless. it was always said that the group was there to support one another but it never really felt that way to me. so i did the 30 days and that was the end of it.
    now i am doing the 30 again but with this group. and yes, i know the supplements are helping and the CDs too. but i think what makes the real difference is this forum. i come when i want or not. tell the truth and get the truth back, always gently. never asked to pray, never asked to claim i am powerless - just the opposite in fact, never even asked my real name. i don't ever feel judged and don't get that heavy sensation of other people's expectations hovering over me. this setting allows me to let my defenses down, which in turn, allows me to REALLY LISTEN to other people who have good advise.
    i am so glad to have found this forum, and a group of people who, no matter how different our backgrounds, i can really relate to. said my peace, on to the next 7 days of 30.....:yay:

Why I like this forum

What a fabulous post Babbert. There is something really different! I don't want to do the standing up in a room thing either!

Good luck!

Comment

Why I like this forum

Many here utilize a combo of avenues.....whatever works for you...do it!!!! Sobriety is the common goal amongst all the methods.
      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Why I like this forum

What an excellent post Babbert. I totally agree with everything you say. Gave up for a long time before and had no problems, but the last 2 years since i started again have been hell and i just havent been able to string more than a couple of unhappy weeks together. AA didnt work for me, as i just didnt feel comfortable there and didnt relate to alot of what was being said, though it def works for alot of ppl.
        Knew after my last episode that i had to do something or i would lose my partner and eventually my family. Had been lurking on this site for a long time, but had never posted for fear of rejection and my inability to stop 'binging' I didnt want to embaress myself on a forum where everyone knew my problems.
        The last 2 weeks have been the happiest alcohol free weeks ive had in years, and that i largely down to the wonderfull supportive people i have met on this forum. No judging, no bickering, no bitchiness, just people who are all in the same boat supporting eachother, genually caring and helping eachother get better.
        I will never forget this site even after only 2 weeks, and i hope to always keep in conntact with the new friends that i have made.
        I thank you all.
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Why I like this forum

Great post. I too can relate. Ithink AA is great for so many but it just didn't work for me.

This time, I AM going to do this. Not there yet, but OH am I making progress thanks to this program!

I love this "family"!

Comment

Why I like this forum

This forum has been and still is a lifeline for me.So many different people from different backgrounds but with one common goal...It's just wonderful..
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Why I like this forum

i don't want anyone to misunderstand. i am not bashing aa at all. i know it helps alot of people, it just wasn't a good fit for me.

Comment

Why I like this forum

Great post Babb, I love this site and it is addicting. It was fun being in the chat room with you last night too. Ike passed Austin by, we got some heavy wind but not even any rain. I was a little bummed as we do need some rain. Today is day 8 AF! I have never been to AA and after finding this site hope I never feel the need.
                HW

Comment

Why I like this forum

I couldn't agree more. I've logged on here for a few years, sometimes a lot more than others. It helps to know that other people are fighting the same battle. And the support is tremendous. Good luck everyone.

Julie

Comment

Why I like this forum

This site has changed my life...I joined on 7/29/08, became AF 8/5/08 and never looked back. I hope this AF stint will continue forever. I have several issues to deal with and they are large issues; my next step in this process is to start facing my problems. I am completely sober but I still find myself running from the things I need to fix. It seems like a mountain standing in front of me with no actual solution. The sooner I start to climb this mountain I will begin my "true" life as a sober individual. I love this forum because it has allowed me to see what I am by my own self-discovery...now the real work begins. I am scared to death but I know what I need to do. I plan on remaining sober....everyone here is helping with that part. The next part is up to me and me alone. I know I have everyone here at my side during the next part of my journey. Kriger
                    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Why I like this forum

Never been to AA but been to church. Never liked the idea of giving up all my power. I want my power, I want to stand up to the demons in my life and stare them down.

Thank you MWO! I cannot do it on my own.

Comment

Why I like this forum

We are glad you are here and like this site so much!!!

Comment

Why I like this forum

hear hear!!

MWO, has changed my life - for the better!
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Why I like this forum

hey babbert whats your real name.... LMAO ..that great you are finding your way out here ..but keep on looking everywhere and around you and you will find even more answers you need ..
                            stay strong and think positive ..
                            :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
                            best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Why I like this forum

That's a lovely and insightful post, Babbert. Good for you. I very much agree with you.

wip

Comment

Working...
                              X