ANYONE GOING COLD TURKEY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is everyone following the program? Is anyone quiting cold turkey? I haven't gotten the supps or been to the doctor - just re-read the book this morning after a truly depressing day (yesterday) of getting trashed at my grandchildren's birthday party. Feeling like shit and really want to stop. I've been in this place so many times before and have said I really want to stop more times than I care to remember. I don't have time to wait for the drugs, etc. I'm sick of me. :new:

Hi Myfriendal

Welcome!

The problem with trying to quit cold turkey, as we've all found out many times is it doesn't last- I would have COUNTLESS occasions where I would wake up, crippled with shame- and swear I would never touch another drop- but after a few days the shame would wear off, I would be hangover free, and would drink again- it is part of the addiction and part of how AL works.

Therefore the supplements and medication can help enormously- diminishing cravings, building up your strength again, and helping mentally too.

Although some might manage cold turkey, I think just about all of us here are taking something or other- it also depends how bad your addiction is of course. It seems a combination that works well for one may not necessarily be the right path for somebody else- a lot of it is trial and error.

Most of the supplements can be bought locally although they might not be of the same strength as the MWO ones, they can be used while you are waiting for your order- or meds can be prescribed by a doctor.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Comment

Marbella is spot on and there is not much to add to that. The one thing i would say myfriend is that the drugs will help alot, but only if YOU want them too. You have to want to stop deep down. Not just today, but in a weeks time you must remember how you feel now, and really want it. There is no magic pill.
      Stay strong and read and post myfriend.
      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

You can get many Supps. at the Health Food Store..Cold Turkey is an option if your alcohol intake isn't too high.Otherwise tapering down by adding water or switching too light beer would be safer.if you can get down to a few drinks a day then you may be able to do this Cold Turkey...Best to get a Dr. to give you Meds. and help in your recovery..Stay close and we will help..
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

WELCOME ..yeah cold turkey is not easy ..but it is doable .. and yes it took so many times to do it and the thing is you have to really want to be sober for yourself no one else .. and yes there are the pains ,depressioneverything that goes with quiting ..but i did it cold turkey and now almost 11 months next saturday and it took alot for me to get this far and to lose so much.. but to get it all back ..but not everything.. that will happen in time ..
          stay strong and think positive good luck you can do it too
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hello .... sounds like alcohol played a role with an incident so now you feel you can just STOP drinking!!!! You are mad at yourself, and have come to realise alcohol is a problem. If you are serious about ending the progressive cycle of alcoholism you have just begun doing something about it by finding us. .... everything is right here to aid you towards recovery... all the answers, tools, advice, meds and support on one screen... :welcome: from Ripple. :thanks::l

Comment

Hi
              You dont have to go cold turkey now that you have found this program. There are lots of people on here who have all been in your situation and worse. Its easy to get the supplements you could just go out and get them today and its easy to read the book (which you and download from here) or read online if you want to. Whether you take medication (topomax, campral, antabuse etc) as well is up to you but lots of people are not taking medication but really working the other parts of the program. Join up with some other newbies and you will get plenty of support during trigger times. If you do you might be looking back at that birthday party one day in the not so distant future as the last day before you got on the road to getting it under control.
              Best of luck.
              BH

Comment

Working...
              X