How to get over the guilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you get over the guilt of what you have done to your family and to your body:upset: 17 days AF but now after my head cleared up I want the five years that I lost back wishing I could do it all over again . I am grateful for the fresh start and I hope over time I can Forgive myself

life goes on and live for today dont worry about yesterday learn from it ...but dont dewell on it ..
    stay strong and think positive
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Hello there tw and welcome. You are addressing one of the big problems that us alcoholics have i feel. We drink to supress our feelings of guilt and anger, things that have been buried deep down for along time. The longer we keep drinking the more guilt we add and the more we drink too supress it. Its going round in circles. You have done great on 17 days(i am on 15), but these things start to come to the surface. Its time to start dealing with them one by one. Apoligise if necessary, forgive yourself, get your pride back and open the door to the world ahead.
      Ive used this many times before on posts, but its like clearing dirty plates. If you keep stacking them up, eventually they will fall and break and the mess will go everywhere. You need to clean them one by one and then you can keep on top of things.
      All the best to you tw. Keep in conntact. there are a hell of alot of us in the same boat and we help eachother.
      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Hi TW,

You forgive yourself because you must. To hold onto regret, or any negative emotion for that matter, will only bog you down. It changes nothing but works to destroy you from the inside out. And forgiveness does not require you to condone what you did or did not do, or sweep it under the rug as if it didn't matter. All forgiveness means is that you acknowledge that you were not all you should have been and you will work to be the better person from this moment forward. No human being is perfect. Be kind to yourself - that's what fresh starts are all about.

Vera-b

Comment

This had been my biggest struggle. It can destroy you and you must do everything you can to forgive yourself. There are days when i feel i never will be able to get on with my life, but lately I know I must or I can never be happy. Do what ever you have to to look to the future and forget the past!!! It is so important!

Comment

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
            It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement. I will make it but it will take a while. every day gets a little better and you are all right I can't look back where I was I can only look ahead to where I'm going one day at a time:thanks:

Comment

TW...I am struggling with that myself. Is PAINFUL really trying to get past it. In due time...the good will outweight the bad.
                Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

TW ... the more sobriety, the more clearer and sensible things become. there will come a time when you are strong enough to face things you have done and make amends... for now abstaining is most important. You are not the only 1 in this world who has made mistakes, we all have. :l

Comment

I have to agree with the others. It is painful to realize what has been said and done once you come out of the drunken fog. I have done so much crap that sometimes I get these fleeting moments of "why in the heck did I ever do that, or say that!!??". You feel so remorseful. The thing is that you cannot change it. It has been said and done. I found in most cases for myself, as I fight to maintain sobriety most people know it was the alcohol and not really me. As time goes on, people forgive. I have simply apologized to those I care about and just carry on working on myself. That is all you can do to.

We are not who we 'really' are under the constant influence of alcohol. It changes us; and more so for the worst. It turns us into very selfish, self absorbed people.

Keep going. It is really healthy to just 'feel' what you are feeling and not turn to the bottle. Once you start facing up to the things bothering you, ultimately you will come out a stronger person.

Comment

vera B said it so very well. Really, we have no choice. If we allow ourselves to stew in the guilt, we will never recover and never stop making things worse. There truly is an option, and it requires at least two fundamental ingredients: we must change our behavior, and we must give it time.

best wishes,

wip

Comment

Accountable for Me;410391 wrote: I have to agree with the others. It is painful to realize what has been said and done once you come out of the drunken fog. I have done so much crap that sometimes I get these fleeting moments of "why in the heck did I ever do that, or say that!!??". You feel so remorseful. The thing is that you cannot change it. It has been said and done. I found in most cases for myself, as I fight to maintain sobriety most people know it was the alcohol and not really me. As time goes on, people forgive. I have simply apologized to those I care about and just carry on working on myself. That is all you can do to.

We are not who we 'really' are under the constant influence of alcohol. It changes us; and more so for the worst. It turns us into very selfish, self absorbed people.

Keep going. It is really healthy to just 'feel' what you are feeling and not turn to the bottle. Once you start facing up to the things bothering you, ultimately you will come out a stronger person.
                        Well said, AFM!!

You can work on making amends for things you did drunk, but you can never take back some of the things you did or said.

However, if you dwell on your past, you will stay in your past.

Make amends where you can, but move forward. Every day is a gift. Recognize that we are blessed with that gift and make every day you live today a special day.

Love,
                        Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wow - Vera B has hit the nail on the head - just reading what she's put has helped me already - Thanks.
                          Noodle x

Comment

TW, somethings can't be reconsiled...that you need to deal with, what you can reconsile do it !! Keep , keeping on. Life goes on.You can't dwell on the past. You have to look towards the future ! Remember apostle Paul....he was involved with the persicution of christians for years....then he converted and became the most famous apostle of the christian church ! IAD
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                            X