Do you really know whats in your wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a couple of snippets from an article in todays paper that may be of interest to us wine drinkers!

So whats in your wine other than grapes?
    I was shocked to discover the unpalatable truth that certain producers:
    Use artificial flavourings and additives to mimic the taste of the grape.
    Add oak chippings to a wine that has never seen a barrel

None of the major u.k brands(Hardy's, gallo, blossom hill, jacobs creek and stowells) list ingredients other than 'sulphites', which they are legally obliged to do because of possible casual link to asthma.
    But when asked, Hardy's told us they add yeast to there merlot red wine and use egg, milk and gelatine to fine their product and make it less cloudy.
    Jacobs creek admitted they added tartaric and ascorbic acid to their chardonny and also used clay, enzymes and milk powder as a fining agent.
    Blossom Hill said they add tartaric acids, enzymes and tannins to the grape juice, and use yeast nutrients and malolactic bacteria during fermentation of standard red wine.
    Stowells and Gallo simply said there wine was made in accordance with EU regulations.
    As the current legislation stands, wine producers are not required to list ingredients, but in total the EU allows more than 50 different flavourings, additives, preservatives and agents, so its fair to say that neither the adverts or the labels give the full picture.
    One producer told us it would be 'commercial suicide' to list its ingredients, presumably because it might put off the customer and result in lower sales.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Oooh yuk - no wonder it made us sick. And just as well we dont drink it anymore eh?
    BH

Comment

Clay????!
      Great... no wonder Im so sick half the time... not 'just' a hangover, Im turning into a cooking pot...
      I used to be Jacobs Creek's best customer.
      ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Chelle... LOL LOL I used to use there product quite a bit too chelle. I wonder if they have noticed sales going down!!!?
        To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Hmmm...they could be in a lot of trouble with Vegans here- Although more a beer girl I assume when I drink wine there are no animal products involved

Wonder what's in the flamin' beer?

Comment

My local shop ran out of Jacob's Creek cos of me. I asked them where it was and they said "you bought them the other day.. we havent had a chance to re-stock"
            how embarrassing is that???
            ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Hey
              My choice of poison was JC too - they must be experiencing a worldwide slump!
              BH

Comment

Chelle12;410656 wrote: My local shop ran out of Jacob's Creek cos of me. I asked them where it was and they said "you bought them the other day.. we havent had a chance to re-stock"
                how embarrassing is that???
                LOL I know we shouldn't really laugh at alcoholism, but sometimes one does have to see the funny side.

I used the 'Store Rotation' method- one day buying at one shop, then moving onto the next. Ideally you will have 7 stores in your itinery, then you can have a unique shop for everyday of the week, therefore the shop owner thinks you are buying for the whole week, and it gives them plenty of time to re-stock.

Comment

oh yes, after that episode i definitely started rotating my shops!
                  I had about 5 regular ones, and usually went straight for the buy one get one free offers.

Comment

hi everyone,glad to here you sober ones,and congrats to you all,there is an old saying here,what you dont see,wont hurt you,lol.just alittle more imfo,when i was really sick they gave me valuum and other MEDS,look up the long term side affects,the drug companies dont no,they no for the time been,it will come you down,same as we lerned from AL,what we dont no wont hurt us,but over doing will,again love all you fine ladies and gentlemen,have a wonderful week gyco

Comment

I would buy 5 in the supermarket and only 1 or 2 at the most in the local wine shop (one bottle from there cost as much as 3 from the supermarket anyway) as the guy who owned it lived locally and I sort of knew him. The wine shop closed down not that long ago and someone recently told me he had a P habit and was now in jail! And I was worried what he would think of me!
                      BH

Comment

Yes true Gyco- If only we knew half of it, we would never do anything)

Hope you have a lovely week too :l

Comment

For anyone who's interested the TV program is on tonight in the UK on Channel 4 at 8.00pm

"Dispatches: What's in your wine." is the name of the program. Dispatches is one of the more up to date current affairs programs I think as well. They recently did a 3 part program on immigration in the UK that was quite eye-opening. One of my fav. programs amongst all the crap that is on TV at present to be honest too!!lol.

Love and Happiness
                          Hippie
                          xx
                          "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                          Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I had about 5 shops that i would rotate aswell, but tesco was the best, cause you would have a different cahier every time, and didnt feel embaressed. Its when i woke up pissed and wanted more id go to the shop down the road. I think there quite upset im only buying a paper and milk off them now!
                            To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

I really hated when the cashier would remember me and ask we how I liked the last thing I bought, especially if it was something new. There's some new stuff I tried for a while called Joose, in different fruity flavors, 9.9% AL, and 16oz. 2 of those and I was UNDER the basement when Hubs got home. The hangovers were horrific, and it took days for my stomach to settle, my head to stop spinning and to forget the taste. What kind of person would go out and buy more? (answer: me)
                              sigpic
                              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                              X