Ten techniques that can help with cravings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked this up yesterday. May be of help.

1. Talk to someone. If you keep your feelings to yourself they'll probably just churn around inside you-getting worse all the time. Find someone who's understanding and supportive and let them know how you feel. "A trouble shared...."

2. Keep occupied. The worst thing you acn do is sit around doing nothing, getting bored, feeling restless, etc. Find something to do. Read a magazine. Watch some television. Play a computer game. Do the washing up. Weed the garden. If it takes your mind off drinking for 15 mins, do it.

3. Think about the positive things that may happen if you can stop drinking. You will probably feel healthier and happier. Your family relationships will improve. You will have more money to spend. You will be able to work better. Remember that all these things can start to improve quite quickly if you can stop drinking.

4. Think about why your trying to stop drinking. Think about the bad things that would happen if you were to carry on drinking. What would the effects be on your health? Your family? Your financial state? Your job? If you think it might help, make a list and read it when you feel you've really got to have a drink.

5.Avoid situations that may make you feel like drinking. Pubs, off licenses and parties are usually the trickiest situations. Sometimes drinks displays in a supermarket can prove difficult.

6. Avoid people whom you know are already heavy drinkers. Not everyone appreciates it when you try to stop drinking-and they may put you under pressure to drink. Even if no one says anything the social pressure to conform can still be quite intense.

7. Spoil yourself. Splash out on a couple of magazines, or a book, c.d or computer game. Have a soak in the bath. Go to the cinema. Watch a game of footy. Rent a dvd. Your denying yourself the 'enjoyment' of drinking-make up for it by doing something else you enjoy.

8.Drink lots of fluids. Milk, fruit juice, cordial, horlicks and barley cup are o.k, but dont overdo it on tea and coffee as these make cravings worse.

9. Eat something. If your feeling hungry the cravings will get worse. Have a snack( though not too salty-as it makes you thirsty). Have a piece of cake. Order a pizza. Get a take away or a bag of chips. Feeling full will reduce the cravings.

10. Take time out. If you decide to have a drink, agree with yourself that you wont do anything for at least 30 minutes. After half an hour you may find the craving has subsided and you no longer feel you need to have a drink.
    To Infinity And Beyond!!

This is really going to help me ,thanks but im surprised about the tea , coffee thing . I never knew that.

Comment

I have about 4 cups a day but its de caff . I love kenco decaff , been drinking it since I got pregnant with Alex, its my favourite.

Comment

I drink a LOT of tea and coffee... wonder if that's why Im struggling so much
        ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

Good post, this is why I did:

1. Talk to someone. If you keep your feelings to yourself they'll probably just churn around inside you-getting worse all the time. Find someone who's understanding and supportive and let them know how you feel. "A trouble shared...."

posting my feelings this morning.
          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

remember,anything that stimulates,hahaha,the brain may trigger you,but i watched a documentary the other night and the doc said sex is one of the best things for the brain,my wife didnt by it hahha gyco

Comment

hahhha had to thro that in for you ladies

Comment

got to work see all later,good post cy

Comment

remember you dont use it you lose it,was tht a man quote hahaha se you alllater and have a great day

Comment

Bump for LTG.
                    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Great Post CY,I have a list of things to do to stop cravings in my SOBRIETY TOOL BOX...It has much the same things on it, as yours.One thing that also helps me is highly flavored food.Cinnamon hard candy,black licorice,chili peppers etc...I also keep a jar of gourmet jelly belly beans in strong flavors and I use them as my first line of defence...Thanks for the great post,it is a valuable tool..
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Chef, thanks for bumping this thread :wings:
                        :l
                        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

I have found the gormet jelly beans a great help. I cant stop eating them. Ive always loved liquorice, but also have a big craving for pistacio nuts. Cant get enough of them!
                          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Thanks KP, this is a keeper I think
                            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

One thing that helps me a lot during my bewitching hour, 5 pm, is I think, "How do I want to feel in the morning?" I sit down and make myself think about it for a minute or so, when I'm able to be strong enough to do it that it! It's helping me more the more I do it.
                              "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Working...
                              X